Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:01 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
- we in the west owe much to Islam.
Can you expand on what the West owes to Islam.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:07 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Can you expand on what the West owes to Islam.
No... we've already covered that and I'm not interested in wormholes.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:13 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It has not been covered, maybe I missed the particular post, there are so many, but I am reasonably confident that it has not been covered.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:27 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be nasty, not everybody could afford to live in Southampton when I was there!

Ya hamuk Allah!

Yes, it wasn't very popular of late..... and as you say there are either those who dismiss it (like all history) or those who go down a sectarian wormhole rather than looking at the overall picture. Tht's why I said other faiths were "tolerated", because someone usually jumps in and says they had to pay a special tax, etc..... to which you have to explain to a brick wall that this was because they were exempt from the military service expected of all muslims, to which they complain about the lack of pork, etc, etc.
Doesn't make any of it less true though - we in the west owe much to Islam.
Southampton, on the whole is only marginally better, but still a dump, so I am at least realistic

It's the kind of discussion that makes a lot of ancient and recent history super emotive for some people which makes it so hard to learn more from unbiased or neutral type sources.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:49 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's the kind of discussion that makes a lot of ancient and recent history super emotive for some people which makes it so hard to learn more from unbiased or neutral type sources.
Yes, I agree, there must be some people who really LOVE Portsmouth!
Others won't be able to get past recent history to look at all the plus sides, HMS Victory, the first coop, the first clap clinic (connected?), etc., etc.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:51 am
Fair and balanced

Go on, just one thing.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:56 am
Resident Cynic

Go on, just one thing.
Too keen, I'm not going there - read.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:08 pm
Fair and balanced

Too keen, I'm not going there - read.
Nothing then, that's fine.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I diagre southampton is not a dump at all.Yes there are parts that are as in every city in the uk.The growth in the city over the last 20 years is nothing short of phenomenal,housing, industries, business centers, out of town shopping the waterfront has been regenerated the sports facilities are fantastic football ground international cricket ground sport centers every where .The thing that is bringing the city to its knees is no new roads or infrastructure to allow for the population growth the traffic is unbearable.That is one of the main reasons i left and will not be going back.The city of my birth has changed in all recognition right across the board, many areas of many nationalities and yes student land is hugh in 2/3 areas of the city.The main thing for me was city college which set me on the road and able to earn a fantastic living which i thought never achievable, when the education policies of the era left me floundering and uneducated.In my opinion a great city of fantastic opportunities to take advantage of if you like to and are able.But alas i took advantage and left not only the city but family.i am pleased to say for a better much more relaxed life.Yes southampton a city of opportunities
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:43 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
I diagre southampton is not a dump at all.Yes there are parts that are as in every city in the uk.The growth in the city over the last 20 years is nothing short of phenomenal,housing, industries, business centers, out of town shopping the waterfront has been regenerated the sports facilities are fantastic football ground international cricket ground sport centers every where .The thing that is bringing the city to its knees is no new roads or infrastructure to allow for the population growth the traffic is unbearable.That is one of the main reasons i left and will not be going back.The city of my birth has changed in all recognition right across the board, many areas of many nationalities and yes student land is hugh in 2/3 areas of the city.The main thing for me was city college which set me on the road and able to earn a fantastic living which i thought never achievable, when the education policies of the era left me floundering and uneducated.In my opinion a great city of fantastic opportunities to take advantage of if you like to and are able.But alas i took advantage and left not only the city but family.i am pleased to say for a better much more relaxed life.Yes southampton a city of opportunities
You forget to say it has 2 Universities. The real one......... and the other one.
I haven't been back for quite a few years..... strange how you lose touch with places.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:43 pm
Resident Cynic

Nothing then, that's fine.
If you want to troll, find another patsy.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I don't really know where to put this

You forget to say it has 2 Universities. The real one......... and the other one.
I haven't been back for quite a few years..... strange how you lose touch with places.
Thanks macliam, i forgot the wonderful world class universities and teaching hospital yes a great city indeed
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:50 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree, there must be some people who really LOVE Portsmouth!
Others won't be able to get past recent history to look at all the plus sides, HMS Victory, the first coop, the first clap clinic (connected?), etc., etc.
There must be indeed, but goodness knows why.
Victory is cool, but everything around it is a dump.....Southsea is the one redeeming feature of the area I think and I don't really count that as Portsmouth.

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
The traffic kills the city like many others. 1.5 universities doesn't help but whilst I love the place, it is a dump in many areas, as you say - like most cities.
But, we mustn't forget, it's the hub of the South coast, an hour and ten to the wankers in London, touches the New Forest, is a short drive to a lovely(ish) beach in Bournemouth, surrounded by cathedral cities in Salisbury and Winchester, home to the greatest football team on earth and it gave the world me. I mean, scrap what I said. It's the greatest city in the world.

Southampton Uni is a proper old red brick and very good. The other one is a 0.5 as far as most are concerned I think. It's a bit like saying you went to Oxford....Brookes.
Yes, I can laugh at universities because I didn't go to one.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow iforgot what scamp just said as well! Yes the new forest, the hub of the south,surrounded by all the great things of the south.Gees i just told the wife pack are bags we're going back, back i tell you why did i ever leave?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Hang on, it's OK to summarise that all folk from Portsmouth are pikey bellends. This is fact.

Alhamdulillah
That's a Tom Jones song, isn't it?

What about the people from Portsmouth who hate the people from Portsmouth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.