British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   I don't really know where to put this (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/i-dont-really-know-where-put-927002/)

Scamp Aug 8th 2019 5:30 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12720077)
It never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to downplay, excuse and defend reprehensible behaviour. What sort of personal insecurity causes them to need their views to be validated constantly, to the point where they cannot accept any criticism of such behaviour?

A human being was treated in a disgraceful manner, and if you can't see the symbolism you are blind and ignorant of very recent US history. Equally, if you are not aware of the disparities between how white and black people are treated by the law, in everything from stop and search rates, arrest rates, police killings, standard of legal defense and sentencing then you need to educate yourself.

Don't, it's a waste of time. The bigger issue is the reaction to the picture from the extremes of both opinions. Most of us are going to be fairly level headed and see it's got obvious connotations (that aren't just from movies - I mean, **** me, we're not that thick in here are we?) that will not be well received. If you take that to the Nth degree it'll leave us in a pot of bollocks. If you react to that like some sort of right wing lunatic at the extreme we end up in another pot of bollocks.

Accepting a lack of judgment and not thinking is the best result from the cops. Fess up, acknowledge, apologise and move on. Job done.


Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720230)
No, it was an "all aboard the outrage bus" post, at least be honest about it. These coppers were ignorant, insensitive, and pretty bloody stupid but the fact that there was no malicious intent has just stumped you. They haven't gone into defence mode, they realise that that photo on its own is indefensible so they've just held their hands up and said, yep we really messed up here and it won't happen again. Pointless keeping this alive, as all it does is stir up even more racial tension.

You're close to being on the outrage bus pulling in the opposite direction. But you're spot on that the response is perfect.

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 6:13 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12720271)
You're close to being on the outrage bus pulling in the opposite direction. But you're spot on that the response is perfect.

I'm nowhere near triggered yet :lol: . This is being used to stir up the forum and nothing more. I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid, that's a good thing.

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 6:22 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12720271)
You're close to being on the outrage bus pulling in the opposite direction. But you're spot on that the response is perfect.

I'm nowhere near triggered yet :lol: . This is being used to stir up the forum and nothing more. I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid, that's a good thing.

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 6:49 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720270)
No one is defending their actions, just that those actions had no malicious intent behind them. No-one has denied the stupidity of what they did. No one is shouting or screaming either.

Has anybody said there was malicious intent either directly or implicitly?

The 'outrage' is about the action itself not the reason for the action. You could well be right that they acted through stupidity. No-one as far as I can see has said any differently.

You are fighting a straw man.

(Quite willing to be corrected as always if anyone can find a reference to the fact that these officers acted maliciously)

DaveLovesDee Aug 8th 2019 7:29 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720279)
I'm nowhere near triggered yet :lol: .

:rofl:

It's TIO. If someone's not triggered, they aren't reading the posts..... :p

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 7:31 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12720287)
Has anybody said there was malicious intent either directly or implicitly?

The 'outrage' is about the action itself not the reason for the action. You could well be right that they acted through stupidity. No-one as far as I can see has said any differently.

You are fighting a straw man.

(Quite willing to be corrected as always if anyone can find a reference to the fact that these officers acted maliciously)

The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 7:56 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720302)
The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.

Why does that mean that anyone thinks that the officer(s) acted maliciously?

The action certainly does deserve outrage if it was through stupidity.

"Jesus H Christ - how could they have been so ****ing stupid??"



scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 8:09 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12720310)
Why does that mean that anyone thinks that the officer(s) acted maliciously?

The action certainly does deserve outrage if it was through stupidity.

"Jesus H Christ - how could they have been so ****ing stupid??"

Shaking one's head in disbelief isn't outrage. The reference to slavery is in itself a huge straw man intended to make this issue bigger than Ben Hur, well it's not. They've apologized and have stopped the practice with immediate effect. Done and dusted.

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 8:45 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 
Whatever.

Can't imagine coming across a scene like that here in rural Somerset or just about anywhere else come to that.

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 8:52 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12720325)
Whatever.

Can't imagine coming across a scene like that here in rural Somerset or just about anywhere else come to that.

Yeah whatever.

You won't see it in Texas again, because now they know it's not the done thing, it's called progression.

Scamp Aug 8th 2019 9:00 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720302)
The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.

Ignorance isn't ever an excuse though is it....'sorry officer, didn't know the speed limit was 50'

paulry Aug 8th 2019 9:19 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12720002)
Dont rule out offendatrons that are merely virtue signalling through their protestations. It happens.

I must be getting old, I've never heard of offendatrons before, so I googled the word.

https://www.google.com/search?q=offe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I saw under the "Videos" heading, the video name "Transformers" and clicked on that.....

:ohmy: Yep, that about sums the usual culprits up. :santa:

Bipat Aug 8th 2019 9:27 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12720325)
Whatever.

Can't imagine coming across a scene like that here in rural Somerset or just about anywhere else come to that.

Possibly because horses are generally only used for crowd control in the UK!!

Last time I was in Birmingham (UK) city centre, I saw three men at different times being taken by police down the pedestrian centre in 'cuffs' to a pickup point. (Presumably shoplifters).
One man acutely embarrassed had his cuffed hand hidden within the pocket of the officer. Another was waving the hand about in conversation with the officer!!! ----presumably a 'regular'!



scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 9:59 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12720330)
Ignorance isn't ever an excuse though is it....'sorry officer, didn't know the speed limit was 50'

I'm not saying it is, but it would seem to be a huge **** up which they're genuinely sorry for. Now they know the ramifications, if they were to do it again they'd deserve everything they got.

BristolUK Aug 8th 2019 10:13 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12720077)
It never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to downplay, excuse and defend reprehensible behaviour

To paraphrase

Originally Posted by stevenglish1;Paulry;materialcontroller;Rushman
Triggered, virtue signalling snowflake!


Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720279)
...I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid

Yes, of course they are. :rofl: Just an honest mistake.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:48 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.