Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I Britain a Hellhole

I Britain a Hellhole

Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I Britain a Hellhole

Wow - me too! 1985 - 1989. I quite enjoyed it actually. Even the student house we rented that was infested with cat fleas was quite the experience!

Originally Posted by ezzie View Post
I was a std in Ponty in the 80's...now that was bleak!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:44 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I Britain a Hellhole

Originally Posted by TheBabyBlueDevil View Post
I'd say they were, as I'm seeing first hand the effects of drugs and violence on some of my best mates, but if my opinion is worthless, then how ignorant you are.

@JerseyGirl - It's much appreciated.

@Shoz - Thank you for understanding my posistion.
More younger people are needed in debate about society, as you will inherit the effects of whatever situations are developing now, and know far better what is going on from the inside, and why it is going on. My situation was quite like how you describe, and luckily I loved learning and writing in particular. But it could have gone either way really. Going away to University will be a great experience for you, and you really don't have to leave the country to escape the tedium, aggression and small-mindedness of townie life. You just have to choose carefully. I went to Liverpool and while I loved it overall, it was a rough place to live, especially the student areas, and I saw and experienced things that I normalised but were not normal. The drugs and alcohol can be far more excessive but used a lot differently to how young locals would use them, and wouldn't really affect anyone else except us (apart from some noise now and then). Going abroad to Uni could be amazing too. But you are brave to consider this at your age. Homesickness is a factor so think about this; it just depends how resilient you are, and you sound more resilient that I was at that age. Violence among students is not really an issue but in some Uni towns and cities there is a fair bit of tension. The main thing is to keep what you've got in terms of motivation and ability and move out from where you are if you're in a hopeless area. A relative of mine went to Uni where he lived ( a fairly deprived area of Greater Manchester), got a degree, got a job, got in with the wrong crowd, (and I've no idea how the next bit happened) and committed armed robbery - and spent a good stretch in Strangeways. I grew up with him. He was my age and like me in many ways, but a bit quieter. I imagine you can see how it can happen. I can, because I normalised a lot in my late teens and 20s that, 10-15 years later, is not normal to me now (and appalls me really) as a responsible husband and father with three degrees. You're doing well to set your sights high, wherever you end up going. Just keep on going forward and know that you have what it takes to succeed.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jul 6th 2008 at 9:48 am.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:29 pm
Canada Summer 09!

TheBabyBlueDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

JerseyGirl, at least in a place like TO there are opportunities, I have none here.

Thanks for the advice Shoz, I understand there will be drugs etc. anywhere in the world, but in TO there are opportunities, like I said above. Here there is just drugs. I'm not expecting to arrive in TO for it to be the perfect world, I'm by no means as naive as that.

And maybe part of the reason I want this so much and am resilient is because my father is encouraging me to leave before my life slips into nothing.

Homesickness doesn't bother me, and if it does I'll learn how to deal with it.

And I think I've already normalised far too much, unfortunately.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I opened The Sun this morning and after staring at Keeley for a few minutes () flicked the page to see a 16 year old, a bit older than me, had been knifed by a whole gang.

Flicked it again to see a peado had escaped jail, God knows how.

Feeling like I was reading the Daily Mail, I vowed to turn the page for the last time. Lo and behold, another knifing.

God I can't wait to leave.
You obviously missed the bit about the two security guards knifed and injured (but not too seriously) by robbers in a crowded Oxford Street, in London's West End the other day, and a female security guard punched smack on in the face at the same time.

The Government promises action - gun crime in London has fallen, only to be replaced by an escalation of knife carrying by gangs of scumbag feral neds, chavs and yobboes and a recent increase in the actual use of the knives with fatal results. Until they solve the chronic drugs problem, little will change.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

JerseyGirl, at least in a place like TO there are opportunities, I have none here.

Thanks for the advice Shoz, I understand there will be drugs etc. anywhere in the world, but in TO there are opportunities, like I said above. Here there is just drugs. I'm not expecting to arrive in TO for it to be the perfect world, I'm by no means as naive as that.

And maybe part of the reason I want this so much and am resilient is because my father is encouraging me to leave before my life slips into nothing.

Homesickness doesn't bother me, and if it does I'll learn how to deal with it.

And I think I've already normalised far too much, unfortunately.

I am sure there are places in the UK that do hold opportunities for you...especially if you go to university as you intend to. On the other hand I agree with your father...we encouraged our daughter to do and see as much as she can while she can. Please don't underestimate how much you will miss your family. Saying that you are very young and IMO the younger you move the more chance you have of making a go of it.

There is crime and violence in every city. There is quite a lot of gun and drug related violence in T.O...not long ago a passer by was shot and killed in the city's downtown mall. A huge problem there is the homeless...they are everywhere. If I look out of our apartment window in the mornings I can count dozens sleeping with empty bottles strewn around them. We have had our car door badly dented by one...my daughter's friend was attacked by one...a woman walking by the side of me was attached one Saturday afternoon by a vagrant. All these attacks took place during the day in good busy areas of the city. From what I've been told they are mainly mentally challenged people who have been discharged from institutions and have no half-way house to go to.

On the upside my daughter 23 yr old daughter loves living in T.O...she has great friends, loves the city life.

Like I said to you in another thread it's good that you have ambition...you've set yourself a goal and you intend to get there. Please feel free to PM me if I can help you in any way in your quest to attend uni in T.O.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 6th 2008 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I was there right at the start of the 80's. Remember all the sheep wandering around on campus and the world's smallest Student Union?

Originally Posted by kevntrace View Post
Wow - me too! 1985 - 1989. I quite enjoyed it actually. Even the student house we rented that was infested with cat fleas was quite the experience!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

BabyBlueDevil, I'm still not clear why you have this thing about Toronto. Can you explain? Do you have friend and family there?

It is a rough city in many areas, as people have said. There are other cities in Canada such as Halifax and Ottawa that I'd recommend before Toronto. Just my person preferences, having lived in quite a few and visited many.

But going to a non-city uni like Sussex, Keele, Lancaster or even Aberystwyth (did I spell that right) might get you out of where you are and give you the chance of a fabulous future.

It's just that distance doesn't equal better, even if it might look like that to you now, and you pay a price for distance.

I agree that young people should explore the world if they can, but that doesn't necessarily mean moving abroad.

Bev. (Do I sound like your mum or gran? LOL!)
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a father of two young girls and we are planning to move over to the UK soon.

I despair everytime I log on and catch up with the UK news, and no it's not the Daily Fail, it's the Times and the Guardian and more stabbings and shootings.

I am against carrying guns (I live in the US) but now I'm beginning to see there is no one there to save you when you are attacked and the best thing that UK government could do should be to allow it's citizens to be armed with Tasers.

Yes, this would encourage people to go out and use them, but they already use knives, and my fists are no match for a 12 inch blade or shotgun.

People need to realize there is no one to save you when it really happens.

I was once attacked on a train coming back from Littlehampton, almost considered pulling the emergency cord but thankfully the attackers stopped and even apologised. That trip felt like the longest in my life and I was only going home to Bognor.

I was once attacked by a psycho at Barnham train station at 5pm where there were plenty of other passengers. He accused me of looking at him wrongly and punched me several times. Not the sort of thing you want to be involved in when the third rail is only a few feet away.

I was also threatened with a knife outside a convenience store and one girl chased me inside attacking me with a tree branch.

In all of these situations I had nothing to defend myself with - I would welcome a law brought into effect to allow ourselves to be armed with Tasers. Generally speaking, they will incapaciate an attacker rather than kill them - I would not like to be responsible for someone else's life.

Thanks to all of you who wrote in and told about life as it is through your eyes, good and bad.

Last edited by drhewitt; Jul 6th 2008 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! With those sort of experiences, I'm amazed you're considering going back there.

[quote=drhewitt;6541366]I am a father of two young girls and we are planning to move over to the UK soon.

I was once attacked on a train coming back from Littlehampton, almost considered pulling the emergency cord but thankfully the attackers stopped and even apologised. That trip felt like the longest in my life and I was only going home to Bognor.

I was once attacked by a psycho at Barnham train station at 5pm where there were plenty of other passengers. He accused me of looking at him wrongly and punched me several times. Not the sort of thing you want to be involved in when the third rail is only a few feet away.

I was also threatened with a knife outside a convenience store and one girl chased me inside attacking me with a tree branch.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:12 pm
Canada Summer 09!

TheBabyBlueDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm View Post
BabyBlueDevil, I'm still not clear why you have this thing about Toronto. Can you explain? Do you have friend and family there?

It is a rough city in many areas, as people have said. There are other cities in Canada such as Halifax and Ottawa that I'd recommend before Toronto. Just my person preferences, having lived in quite a few and visited many.

But going to a non-city uni like Sussex, Keele, Lancaster or even Aberystwyth (did I spell that right) might get you out of where you are and give you the chance of a fabulous future.

It's just that distance doesn't equal better, even if it might look like that to you now, and you pay a price for distance.

I agree that young people should explore the world if they can, but that doesn't necessarily mean moving abroad.

Bev. (Do I sound like your mum or gran? LOL!)

I do have other reasons, but they are my own, sorry.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ezzie,

Yeah, I do wonder sometimes if I'm making the right decision. I have family there, brother in London, sister in Essex.

The cost of living in New Jersey is ridiculous - property taxes (council tax) is almost $9,500 although renters don't have to pay. I earn a reasonable salary yet because I am self employed I pay $760 a month for health insurance for my family which is tough.

I think perhaps I would do better in the UK. I'm kind of like a pendulum right now, back and forth.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drhewitt View Post
Hi Ezzie,

Yeah, I do wonder sometimes if I'm making the right decision. I have family there, brother in London, sister in Essex.

The cost of living in New Jersey is ridiculous - property taxes (council tax) is almost $9,500 although renters don't have to pay. I earn a reasonable salary yet because I am self employed I pay $760 a month for health insurance for my family which is tough.

I think perhaps I would do better in the UK. I'm kind of like a pendulum right now, back and forth.
I wish our property taxes were $9,500.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is it's getting harder to say no.

Luckily my mates respect my decision not to indulge with them - cocaine, weed, hard alcohol etc., which they all do.

However I know of people battered for not partaking.

Fights are a regular thing, I know people who carry knives, pepper spray etc.

2 of my friends are also starting to deal weed, as "what else is there to do?"

If I had not known these people before they got like this, I'd likely have been beaten or seduced by drugs and violence.

And even though they never threaten me to try "new things", they are forever asking.

I'm not sure about the areas, but Swansea is pretty messed up.

RE your kids, make sure you know who they are friends with. My parents know my mates slightly, but nowhere near the scale they are actually on.

@Elfman, sense of humours round here somewhere, I'll look tomorrow And no, its been various areas of Swansea all my life.
Since moving to Canada Ive got to know a lot of my wifes old friends from here in Montreal, I hear all their stories from the late 80's growing up about all the drugs, violence etc, and this is Canada. Some of it is pretty awful and a lot of the people are still affected by it today.

Also I 've never smelt so much cannabis being smoked than Montreal, it's everywhere, and I've lived for a lot of time in some of the roughest parts of London. Everyone thinks it just goes on in the UK and it's a really new thing.

There were kids selling drugs all over the place in my school in 1989, I got threatened with a knife in 1986, suddenly it all seems to be getting attention now
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123 View Post
Also I 've never smelt so much cannabis being smoked than Montreal, it's everywhere
I regularly buy cannabis in Canada. When we lived in Toronto I'd get it delivered, now we're in the country we have to go to the corner store. Even when we were in a cabin on a remote lake in Newfoundland a guy came to the door on a "trike" to offer us a bag. The smell of weed is the smell of Canada to me, it's absolutely everywhere, not just in Montreal.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

jadm51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
Any of you Brits moved back home and think - oh my god whats happened to this place? In the British papers we get here in NZ its all doom and gloom.
We went back for a visit last aug and it just felt the same as ever. We are returning back permanent later this year. I would like to know your thoughts.
what you reading, the SUN? .....teasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.