Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

Old Nov 7th 2019, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

This horrendous debacle ,this three years of subsequent hell , has I hope ? woken up the people to the face that for all the bleating about sovereignty and democracy we don't really have either .What we have is a 'barely' concealed dictatorship by the rich and powerful. That top 2% who have always ruled us ..with the odd excursion cross to Labour ,'so the people can see how badly off they would be under their guidance' ( The Conservatives expound a great deal of energy on calling that pot black)
I have thought for quite awhile now that we have long outgrown this sort of government. Labour has lost its heartland in an long defunct Industry base
The conservatives have lost their traditional means of income..ie owning and exploiting those Industries .This frantic scramble to leave the EU may disguise plans to fill their coffers with easy money from investments in non EU countries .. ie ones with no controls as in the time of Slaves etc. Who knows what the real reason is.?Its certainly been buried under a pile of manure since this nightmare started-
So I do hope the people get out and vote.. I hope they vote LibDem.. yes just to spite the lot of them perhaps, but more importantly to make it known that the people actually count. So far ..along with the business community ,they have been ignored
One things for sure ,if they don't get themselves counted they really will hand themselves over to a dictatorship.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
This horrendous debacle ,this three years of subsequent hell , has I hope ? woken up the people to the face that for all the bleating about sovereignty and democracy we don't really have either .What we have is a 'barely' concealed dictatorship by the rich and powerful. That top 2% who have always ruled us ..with the odd excursion cross to Labour ,'so the people can see how badly off they would be under their guidance' ( The Conservatives expound a great deal of energy on calling that pot black)
I have thought for quite awhile now that we have long outgrown this sort of government. Labour has lost its heartland in an long defunct Industry base
The conservatives have lost their traditional means of income..ie owning and exploiting those Industries .This frantic scramble to leave the EU may disguise plans to fill their coffers with easy money from investments in non EU countries .. ie ones with no controls as in the time of Slaves etc. Who knows what the real reason is.?Its certainly been buried under a pile of manure since this nightmare started-
So I do hope the people get out and vote.. I hope they vote LibDem.. yes just to spite the lot of them perhaps, but more importantly to make it known that the people actually count. So far ..along with the business community ,they have been ignored
One things for sure ,if they don't get themselves counted they really will hand themselves over to a dictatorship.
Have you forgotten Wilson, Blair and Brown? Certainly also "barely concealed dictatorships" .
Investment in fast moving economies of non-EU countries a negative???? "no controls as in time of slaves" ???? (They also invest and job create in the UK!!!!

The LibDems as I have said previously 'died' with Charles Kennedy, who unfortunately couldn't manage his own addictions, also with the age of Shirley Williams. Jo Swinson may have a future but not yet.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:00 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Jo Swinson may have a future but not yet.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

Something like this maybe? Where's Sultan when you need him.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:25 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Something like this maybe? Where's Sultan when you need him.
I'm not really an expert in these matters but that graph seems to indicate that her future's behind her, which can't be right, surely?

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really an expert in these matters but that graph seems to indicate that her future's behind her, which can't be right, surely?

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
Or it's all happening at the same time?

"We seem to perceive time as passing in one direction. After all, we can't just just forward to the future or revisit our past if we felt like it. Every minute of every day appears to move us ahead, pulling us through our lives towards an inexorable demise. At least that's what the conventional experience of time tells us. But what if your present, past, and future all existed already? Time, from that point of view, would not flow.
The block universe theory says that our universe may be looked at as a giant four-dimensional block of spacetime, containing all the things that ever happen, explained Dr. Kristie Miller, the joint director for the Centre for Time at the University of Sydney.
In the block universe, there is no "now" or present. All moments that exist are just relative to each other within the three spacial dimensions and one time dimension. Your sense of the present is just reflecting where in the block universe you are at that instance. The "past" is just a slice of the universe at an earlier location while the "future" is at a later location."

https://bigthink.com/surprising-scie...1#rebelltitem1

Our brexit friends won't be happy at all. I think this means we are forever held captive and shackled by the EU because it is contained in everything that has, can, does, or will exist.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:39 pm
Who - me?

Our brexit friends won't be happy at all.
I'm feeling a little queasy myself after reading that.

Sort of stuff that makes my head spin.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:44 pm

I'm feeling a little queasy myself after reading that.

Sort of stuff that makes my head spin.

Nor am I certain if this is good or bad for the Lib Dems. It is pretty clear that Boris is "a slice of the universe in a different location" though.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Nor am I certain if this is good or bad for the Lib Dems. It is pretty clear that Boris is "a slice of the universe in a different location" though.
My post meant "future" as a PM!!!

Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:11 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Depends if it's a shower or a grower
Aka Tory or Labour. I don't realistically see the LD's getting more seats than either of those.

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
I think this election should take place candidates should be open and honest about their direction of sway with Brexit and they stick to their line not a party line "but that won't happen"

I think the Party approach to governing countries seems pretty flawed in a lot of regions these days it's just petty tribalism with more bickering and little action.
I think prospective candidates should all be elected as independents (even when publicly affiliated to and sponsored by a political party), and Parliament should change from the current us v them adversarial system to having to work with each other as they do in the EU Parliament and Welsh Senedd.

And preferably by Proportional Representation. But like you say, it'll never happen. The Tories will never allow PR, and they refuse to allow a referendum on it because they say we have one on AV (which no-one wanted anyway, but the government said it was AV or no referendum).

Have you forgotten Wilson, Blair and Brown? Certainly also "barely concealed dictatorships" .
Investment in fast moving economies of non-EU countries a negative???? "no controls as in time of slaves" ???? (They also invest and job create in the UK!!!!
Bipat. If you consider Blair and Brown to be 'barely-concealed dictatorships' (I don't know enough about Wilson's time in office), I suggest you explain your reasoning because I don't see that. What I do see are your prejudices against Blair and Brown during your oft-repeated complaint that they didn't run their promised referendum, which didn't run because what was to be voted on was dropped. Did we still need a referendum on something that wasn't going to be happening?
Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50303512
Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Aka Tory or Labour. I don't realistically see the LD's getting more seats than either of those.

I think prospective candidates should all be elected as independents (even when publicly affiliated to and sponsored by a political party), and Parliament should change from the current us v them adversarial system to having to work with each other as they do in the EU Parliament and Welsh Senedd.

And preferably by Proportional Representation. But like you say, it'll never happen. The Tories will never allow PR, and they refuse to allow a referendum on it because they say we have one on AV (which no-one wanted anyway, but the government said it was AV or no referendum).

Bipat. If you consider Blair and Brown to be 'barely-concealed dictatorships' (I don't know enough about Wilson's time in office), I suggest you explain your reasoning because I don't see that. What I do see are your prejudices against Blair and Brown during your oft-repeated complaint that they didn't run their promised referendum, which didn't run because what was to be voted on was dropped. Did we still need a referendum on something that wasn't going to be happening?
Blair and the Iraq war just one point. The largest ever peace time demonstration against it in London.
Brown and the economy!
(The EU referendum regarding the 'EU constitution has been discussed at length, the wording changed etc. so no longer 'the Constitution' but actually much the same!!)

Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:49 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Blair and the Iraq war just one point. The largest ever peace time demonstration against it in London.
Brown and the economy!
(The EU referendum regarding the 'EU constitution has been discussed at length, the wording changed etc. so no longer 'the Constitution' but actually much the same!!)
The changes were sufficient enough that a UK government agreed to it. It's old news, and this thread is for an entirely different matter.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
The changes were sufficient enough that a UK government agreed to it. It's old news, and this thread is for an entirely different matter.
I agree ---as I said it has been discussed at length previously------why did you mention it??
(It was a Blair Government).

Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:40 pm
Jigsaw

I agree ---as I said it has been discussed at length previously------why did you mention it??
(It was a Blair Government).
I explained why in the relevant post. Here's the relevant part again, including wanting to know why you came to the conclusion re: dictatorships.

If you consider Blair and Brown to be 'barely-concealed dictatorships' (I don't know enough about Wilson's time in office), I suggest you explain your reasoning because I don't see that. What I do see are your prejudices against Blair and Brown during your oft-repeated complaint that they didn't run their promised referendum

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.