Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
US police seem to be all too often trained to treat people like enemy combatants. I mean, this old guy was hardly a threat, was he?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...loroquine-live
It's actually worse than that video. Initially the Buffalo police put out a statement that this 75 year old man "tripped and fell". Only when they discovered there was video of the incident did they backtrack and then blamed officers who were not present for the report. Wtf? You just know that had there been no video of this incident, nothing would have happened. Really, cops behaviour has not changed from what has happened in the US for ever; it's just that every man and his dog now have a smart phone filming this stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d-shoving-man/
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Stand outside the White House unarmed, you get gassed and baton-charged.

Stand outside (and in some cases push your way inside) courthouses and senate chambers like this? Nada.

Aww... leave the Cosplay peeps alone.

Hilarious. Do they dress up like that before they leave home, or after their parents drop them off?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Sure, but I wasn't talking about it from that angle, which is a much wider topic altogether.

It was only the joint culpability of all the officers on that patrol I was looking at and the particular scenario of whether it was feasible that the junior officers could reasonably have been expected to intervene. Whether there would be a culture in the force which encourages such action or whether it would have been a career-ending move or might have put them in personal danger. Whether they could have been expected, in the light of their training, to confidently take control of the situation or to have someone to call for advice or backup.

That kind of thing.
I am sure all 4 lawyers and articling students are scouring multiple decisions rendered by a number of courts about culpability and other things to lodge a defence. I am sure I could come up with an explanation as to why if I was representing any of them except Chauvin. I would use any jurisprudence I found as a legal argument as to why my client is not guilty and during submissions to the jury give the best plausible, believable and explanation as to why he is not guilty. Now how this pans out at trial remains to be seen. I suspect that the prosecution will say any human being even if a Police officer should know that another person who has their knee on another persons neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds is wrong and should have intervened regardless of culture, career ending move or the amount of training received or if they felt comfortable or not to take control. By not intervening they ended their career anyway and now face the possibility of severe jail time if found guilty.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Aww... leave the Cosplay peeps alone.

Hilarious. Do they dress up like that before they leave home, or after their parents drop them off?

Probably change behind the bike sheds.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This sort of protest is much nicer

Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I am sure all 4 lawyers and articling students
I did some reading last night about the union that represents the Minneapolis police, and they won't use any half measures here. They managed to overrule the city government in providing "Warrior Training" to the force, which could actually come up in court now.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:54 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
This sort of protest is much nicer
Is that Greenham?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lets be honest who would want to be any of these 4 lawyers representing these officers? From the American Bar Association's Standards

Defense counsel have the difficult task of serving both as officers of the court and as loyal and zealous advocates for their clients. The primary duties that defense counsel owe to their clients, to the administration of justice, and as officers of the court, are to serve as their clients’ counselor and advocate with courage and devotion; to ensure that constitutional and other legal rights of their clients are protected; and to render effective, high-quality legal representation with integrity. If they don't then they are subject to complaints and action taken against them.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...FourthEdition/
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Greenham?

I was so jealous to be excluded.

Has anyone every written a book or made a movie - Tootsie style - about a man dressing as a woman to go there? Could make a good comedy.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Lets be honest who would want to be any of these 4 lawyers representing these officers? From the American Bar Association's Standards

Defense counsel have the difficult task of serving both as officers of the court and as loyal and zealous advocates for their clients. The primary duties that defense counsel owe to their clients, to the administration of justice, and as officers of the court, are to serve as their clients’ counselor and advocate with courage and devotion; to ensure that constitutional and other legal rights of their clients are protected; and to render effective, high-quality legal representation with integrity. If they don't then they are subject to complaints and action taken against them.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...FourthEdition/

Better call Saul.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 8:01 pm

I was so jealous to be excluded.

Has anyone every written a book or made a movie - Tootsie style - about a man dressing as a woman to go there? Could make a good comedy.
I was working there.. had to drive through that a couple of times per week. Never had any hassle from anyone really.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Better call Saul.
Fortunately William Kunstler is no longer alive as he held the title The Most Hated Lawyer In America.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 8:16 pm
Oscar nominated

I was working there.. had to drive through that a couple of times per week. Never had any hassle from anyone really.
Any cake?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 8:20 pm

Any cake?
No cake. I got a speeding ticket on the base from the "sheriff" for doing 20 in a 15 though. High tension.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 8:22 pm

No cake. I got a speeding ticket on the base from the "sheriff" for doing 20 in a 15 though. High tension.
Was anyone gassed or anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.