Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 1:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

How very sad.

"More than a hundred thousand Americans are dead from a pandemic after the government’s botched response; there are armoured cars and troops outside Washington metro stations; men in combat gear carrying sniper rifles were seen perched in the open door of a helicopter flying low over the commercial district. A military chopper buzzed a crowd of demonstrators so close to the ground they were buffeted around by the wind from the rotor, a dispersal technique learned in counter-insurgencies abroad. On Monday, an entirely peaceful protest was driven out of a city square in front of the White House with teargas, baton charges and mounted police, so Trump could pose in front of a church with a Bible...As each extraordinary moment slides by it poses its own question – “How did we get here?”

Fear is easing the way for each new step towards militarisation. The looting and destruction on the fringes of the protests are terrifying, but partly a consequence of law enforcement tactics. The police have focused on dispersing the protests rather on arresting the looters. And it is the violence that plays on a loop on the news...And each day brings us closer to forgetting what normal used to look like."

Full piece here.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oyd-normalized

"And I can see those fighter planes
Across the mud huts as children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street
And take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into his saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan
Outside, it's America"

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 3rd 2020 at 1:30 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 1:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Very
No, it's really not a good post at all. It's a load of hopelessly naive claptrap.

If you genuinely think the playing field is level, there's no such thing as white privilege, there's an equal opportunity for everyone - and seeing as you seem to prefer Youtube links to any kind of written document - take a look at this little social experiment.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:12 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
How very sad.

"More than a hundred thousand Americans are dead from a pandemic after the government’s botched response; there are armoured cars and troops outside Washington metro stations; men in combat gear carrying sniper rifles were seen perched in the open door of a helicopter flying low over the commercial district. A military chopper buzzed a crowd of demonstrators so close to the ground they were buffeted around by the wind from the rotor, a dispersal technique learned in counter-insurgencies abroad. On Monday, an entirely peaceful protest was driven out of a city square in front of the White House with teargas, baton charges and mounted police, so Trump could pose in front of a church with a Bible...As each extraordinary moment slides by it poses its own question – “How did we get here?”

Fear is easing the way for each new step towards militarisation. The looting and destruction on the fringes of the protests are terrifying, but partly a consequence of law enforcement tactics. The police have focused on dispersing the protests rather on arresting the looters. And it is the violence that plays on a loop on the news...And each day brings us closer to forgetting what normal used to look like."

Full piece here.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oyd-normalized

"And I can see those fighter planes
Across the mud huts as children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street
And take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into his saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan
Outside, it's America"
Something seriously wrong over there. But no worries. Perfectly normal.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:07 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
No, it's really not a good post at all. It's a load of hopelessly naive claptrap.

If you genuinely think the playing field is level, there's no such thing as white privilege, there's an equal opportunity for everyone - and seeing as you seem to prefer Youtube links to any kind of written document - take a look at this little social experiment. https://youtu.be/kyl4EJhq47A
Did you watch your own link? It entirely supports my point. I said:
Whilst there clearly was historic racism and indeed may be some small degree today (may), the principle problem of blacks in the US is one of culture - they don't value education and don't bring kids up in a stable family culture.
Your video said:
(1). Both parents
(2). Father figure
(3)+(4). Education
and so-on - the first things said in the video are exactly what I said.
Those left standing have been left standing due to the culture of their community that doesn't value these things, putting their offspring behind the game from day one. The Asians do value these things - and are wealthier than the whites (and blacks) accordingly.

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:08 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest the book "How to be an anti-racist" by Ibram Kendi, it looks at the issue of policy and how that affects the issue of racism. Our resident racists may benefit from reading it. I do suspect that they may be are unaware of how racist they are.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This man in Washington DC opened his home to protesters who'd been corralled in a street by police after curfew. There are good people all around us.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...-us-protesters
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
This man in Washington DC opened his home to protesters who'd been corralled in a street by police after curfew. There are good people all around us.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...-us-protesters
Yes, there are. I keep my reminding myself of that when the shit is flying.

This clip also supports the other observation I reported that more police energy is being spent on breaking up peaceful protests (and possibly beating the shit out of them) than on catching and stopping actual looters.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 3rd 2020 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there are. I keep my reminding myself of that when the shit is flying.

This clip also supports the other observation I reported that more police energy is being spent on breaking up peaceful protests (and possibly beating the shit out of them) than on catching and stopping actual looters.
Reading/watching the news, it seems that everything and everyone in the world has turned rotten. It's so important to remind ourselves of the good, as you do.

Yes, I haven't seen much action against looters. I also didn't see much (any) action against those protesting against restrictions in place re. the coronavirus.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:20 pm

Reading/watching the news, it seems that everything and everyone in the world has turned rotten. It's so important to remind ourselves of the good, as you do.

Yes, I haven't seen much action against looters. I also didn't see much (any) action against those protesting against restrictions in place re. the coronavirus.
It's more in Trump's interest to destroy peaceful protest than it is to prevent looting. The more looting there is, the more he can discredit the protests and appeal to his base by bringing in troops and looking like the strong man (even if it is from his bunker).
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
May I suggest the book "How to be an anti-racist" by Ibram Kendi, it looks at the issue of policy and how that affects the issue of racism. Our resident racists may benefit from reading it. I do suspect that they may be are unaware of how racist they are.
I knew it wouldn't take long. When you have no argument to make, just start calling people racist/sexist/etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:34 pm
Concierge

It's more in Trump's interest to destroy peaceful protest than it is to prevent looting. The more looting there is, the more he can discredit the protests and appeal to his base by bringing in troops and looking like the strong man (even if it is from his bunker).
But he wasn't in the bunker for long. And it was only to test his eyesight for an inspection.

Mr Trump told Fox News radio he went down during the day for a "tiny period of time" for an "inspection".
"I was there for a tiny, little short period of time. And it was much for an inspection... maybe sometime you're going to need it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52911267
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:44 pm

But he wasn't in the bunker for long. And it was only to test his eyesight for an inspection.

Mr Trump told Fox News radio he went down during the day for a "tiny period of time" for an "inspection".
"I was there for a tiny, little short period of time. And it was much for an inspection... maybe sometime you're going to need it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52911267
What an interesting moment he chose for his inspection. Doesn't he have people to do his inspecting for him? Maybe that's where he stashes his Big Macs.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:57 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I knew it wouldn't take long. When you have no argument to make, just start calling people racist/sexist/etc.
The first chapter of the book addresses this issue, it is why I kept reading, it is erudite were I have not been on here when discussing the weaponizing of the word "racist" by people such as yourself, in attempting too avoid the issue. Attempts at turning "racist" in to a nuclear option, should be resisted. In a racist society, its a low key accusation, and one should expect to be so, especially those such as yourself who have benefited from the current social structures, why wouldn't you be?
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post

Of course there is an argument. You just don't want to hear it, or see it, or understand it. For you, it is false by definition before it even starts due to the people who are putting it forward and not due to the content of the argument itself.

That is unfortunate, but not an insuperable obstacle for the people to whom this all matters.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 6:02 pm
Concierge

What an interesting moment he chose for his inspection. Doesn't he have people to do his inspecting for him? Maybe that's where he stashes his Big Macs.

He's a true champion of something at least, the adjective. My god, the number of adjectives he crams into a single sentence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.