Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Free and fair elections for all...

Free and fair elections for all...

Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:59 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free and fair elections for all...

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Considering that she is a previous Conservative Minister is it surprising that she would be offered a job???
Are you for real?

She's standing as a candidate for a different party, ffs. The deal - allegedly - was that if she stood aside, they'd offer her a job. Of course that's surprising.

Is there anything, anything at all, the Tories could come up with that you won't back? Where exactly is your limit?
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I did some research on that VoteWatch UK item that you posted as gen but which looked like a bit of fake news convenient agenda and couldn't find anything anywhere else to substantiate it.

You got any research of your own to back it up?

Oh, hang on. No, you won't have. It was an "exclusive"
Point taken. Maybe it is fake news...or maybe it isn't. Do YOU have any evidence that it is...? If so, provide it.

Here's another link. But it's probably fake news too. Right..?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...lectoral-fraud
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Free and fair elections for all...

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Are you for real?

She's standing as a candidate for a different party, ffs. The deal - allegedly - was that if she stood aside, they'd offer her a job. Of course that's surprising.

Is there anything, anything at all, the Tories could come up with that you won't back? Where exactly is your limit?
We are referring to the Brexit party which surely you can agree will not be a long term
political party. The fact is Ann Widdecombe was a previous Tory Minister she is pro-Brexit. To offer a job in post Brexit negotiations would seem obvious.
I didn't say I 'backed' it, I thought it obvious they would do it.

Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever there is an investigation into "voter fraud" they find "election fraud" .... so I encourage these investigations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...at-comes-next/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrae_Dowless
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:40 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake.White View Post
Point taken. Maybe it is fake news...or maybe it isn't. Do YOU have any evidence that it is...? If so, provide it.

It's the express. It's entertainment masquerading as news, not actual news. They might print something resembling the truth once in a while (the weather?), but it's very rare. And it's not considered to be credible journalism by any journalistic standard.

You might as well post a link to a page from a spiderman comic book. Same thing. Entertainment.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 16th 2019 at 2:43 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that she is a previous Conservative Minister is it surprising that she would be offered a job???
You appear to have missed the bit about being offered a role as encouragement "to stand down" in the election.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
It's the express. It's entertainment masquerading as news, not actual news. They might print something resembling the truth once in a while (the weather?), but it's very rare. And it's not considered to be credible journalism by any journalistic standard.

You might as well post a link to a page from a spiderman comic book. Same thing. Entertainment.
Yes I expected that response from someone - you're all beginning to get a bit predictable here..

So what would you call a reliable source..? The London Evening Standard perhaps...? Here's a fake news link from that one..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4288731.html

How about the police force itself..? Would you say they were a reliable source of information..?

Here's a fake news link from them..

http://library.college.police.uk/doc...g-stations.pdf

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 16th 2019 at 3:19 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Whenever there is an investigation into "voter fraud" they find "election fraud" .... so I encourage these investigations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...at-comes-next/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrae_Dowless

I can't access your Washington Post link Leslie, it just takes me to a subscription page..
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't access your Washington Post link Leslie, it just takes me to a subscription page..
Aha! We’ve cunningly unmasked you! You are not a subscriber in good standing to WaPo!

Old Nov 16th 2019, 4:10 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I expected that response from someone - you're all beginning to get a bit predictable here..

So what would you call a reliable source..? The London Evening Standard perhaps...? Here's a fake news link from that one..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4288731.html

How about the police force itself..? Would you say they were a reliable source of information..?

Here's a fake news link from them..

http://library.college.police.uk/doc...g-stations.pdf
I don't know or care about your argument, or whether it's true or not (and judging from how it's gone so far, it smells suspiciously like just another windup conspiracy theory). But to link to an express article is as good as linking to a spiderman comic book. It's a highly discredible tabloid. And that's hardly my opinion. It's pretty well known. It doesn't lend credibility to your argument. In fact, it only serves to increase suspicion of it.

It's a tip, Einstein.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 16th 2019 at 4:13 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 4:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. It may have to do with which hemisphere you try to access the site from. I assumed, with the laser focused interest on specific registration rules among American college students who attend college away home, that you were in the US. The Wikipedia article should cover what you need to know.

From the article that you are unable to access:

" An audit by North Carolina’s Board of Elections after the 2016 election not only showed that voter fraud is exceedingly rare but warned of the very different type of fraud that occurred in the 9th District. The audit identified only 508 “voting irregularities” out of 4.8 million ballots cast, or one ten-thousandth of a percent. Most irregularities involved votes by felons, which is illegal in North Carolina, while a small number involved noncitizens with legal status attempting to vote. Only two cases of voter impersonation were referred to prosecutors."

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

Aha! We’ve cunningly unmasked you! You are not a subscriber in good standing to WaPo!

Neither am I!
Old Nov 16th 2019, 6:22 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You still haven't backed up the headline claim from your VoteWatch UK link. I assumed you'd read the piece.

Never mind, forget it.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon Bipat ... You don't have to argue about everything ! It si very clear the Cons are trying to buy Brexit candidates and I believe that's against the law.

If you think a previous Cons Min is likely to be offered a job in the Brexit negotiationg, they should first consider someone with experience ... Mrs. May
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:19 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what this is about and I write that as me , a BE poster.

Is this about a few students choosing to abuse a registration system that is in place to help them to vote if they so wish? In which case I can quite see that some students might think it a larf to act the fool.
I doubt there would be enough prepared to take the risk - if they even realised that it was a criminal offence - to sway any results. I would also feel that there are checks for any irregularities so anything en masse would be quickly highlighted.

Is this what this is about?
Old Nov 17th 2019, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I'm not sure what this is about and I write that as me , a BE poster.

Is this about a few students choosing to abuse a registration system that is in place to help them to vote if they so wish? In which case I can quite see that some students might think it a larf to act the fool.
I doubt there would be enough prepared to take the risk - if they even realised that it was a criminal offence - to sway any results. I would also feel that there are checks for any irregularities so anything en masse would be quickly highlighted.

Is this what this is about?
Well yes and no BEVS... Jake quoted a Guardian article about a furore over Professors tweeting their students to REMIND them that they are allowed to vote either at their Uni / College..OR in the home address... SOME interested parties ( I said Conservatives because ..who else ? ) immediately started a vicious twitter campaign against these teachers..accusing them of inciting double..thus fraudulent voting....They OBVIOUSLY weren't as their original tweets show.
It was neccessary for the profs to do this as the Conservatives ( carefully ? ) chose the date of the election to coincide with when students had left uni/ col for the Xmas holidays
Jake has been a little lambasted here because he did say it was an 'example' of how voting could be rigged... when in fact it wasn't
Hope that helps

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.