Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Do you and L have to pay for it, or is it free for people on disability income support?

She is high risk so doesn't have to pay, and because I live with her can usually get it free as well.

The government of course only buys a certain amount of flu shots, so once their supply is out, then all that is left is the private supplies pharmacies buy themselves to sell.

BC Government ordered around 3 million this year, more than usual.

Canadian healthcare is interesting, it obviously varies by province, but something covered in one province may not be covered in another, especially when it comes to medications dispensed outside of hospital.

Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be very high demand for flu shot this year.

I got an email from one of the pharmacies yesterday I am on the list for, earliest appointment is Nov 30, I did book, but they can't guarantee stock, so could be cancelled...
Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

I got an email from one of the pharmacies yesterday I am on the list for, earliest appointment is Nov 30, I did book, but they can't guarantee stock, so could be cancelled...

In the US and the UK people are being encouraged to get them to help keep hospitalizations from flu down when the hospitals are under pressure from covid already. Also, it seems that you really don't want to get flu and covid at the same time.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We got ours over a week ago...no problem.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

This is rather bizarre to me. I got mine at Costco a few weeks ago, just by walking up and filling out a short form. They told me to come back in about 10 mins as there was 1 person ahead of me. It was all over in 15 minutes. I paid cash ($20) but could have got it for free if I had filled out a longer form. I figured for $20, I'd save the effort.
Yesterday, I was at my local Safeway grocery store. In the US, all the major grocery stores have 'pharmacy counters' (which I've always thought was rather odd). I walked past the pharmacy counter and there was a woman rolling up her sleeve and the pharmacy guy had the syringe in his hand ready to go - right there at the counter! No line or anything.

I don't understand how it can be so easy / cheap / fast here, while you have to wait almost 2 months.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This is rather bizarre to me. I got mine at Costco a few weeks ago, just by walking up and filling out a short form. They told me to come back in about 10 mins as there was 1 person ahead of me. It was all over in 15 minutes. I paid cash ($20) but could have got it for free if I had filled out a longer form. I figured for $20, I'd save the effort.
Yesterday, I was at my local Safeway grocery store. In the US, all the major grocery stores have 'pharmacy counters' (which I've always thought was rather odd). I walked past the pharmacy counter and there was a woman rolling up her sleeve and the pharmacy guy had the syringe in his hand ready to go - right there at the counter! No line or anything.

I don't understand how it can be so easy / cheap / fast here, while you have to wait almost 2 months.
Benefit to the US private system I suppose.

The issue for most of the vaccines isn't necessarily supply (although one form for high risk seniors seems short supply) it's distribution, basically the province only sends pharmacies small amounts of the vaccine at a time throughout the flu season, the pharmacy in the piece is able to do roughly 100 people per week.

There was a news piece on it yesterday.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7407226/...s-soars-in-b-c

Old Oct 20th 2020, 8:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned my local pharmacy (New York north country) this morning to make an appointment for my flu shot, the first item on their recording was “we are out of flu shots, please call back later.” Not a good sign. Previous years, I’ve just walked in and got the shot immediately (free of charge, Medicare.) This year, I thought I should book an appointment because of the Covid new reality.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We normally go to the US for our flu shots. They are usually available early September, in Canada I believe it’s nearer Halloween. We usually go away late Sept for a month or two and like to get the flu shot a few weeks before we leave. Of course this year we didn’t have a choice.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 11:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This is rather bizarre to me. I got mine at Costco a few weeks ago, just by walking up and filling out a short form. ...
It was like that in my neck of the woods too, except I did the form on line. At the counter there was something to scan on a smart phone if you had one. I showed them my form, they did something on their computer, I stood to one side and then they did me.
Yesterday, I was at my local Safeway grocery store. In the US, all the major grocery stores have 'pharmacy counters' (which I've always thought was rather odd).
How long did you say you've been away? I remember them way back. I managed to find a reference to Tesco establishing theirs in 1990.
I phoned to enquire on a Thursday and got an appointment the following Tuesday. My doctor's secretary usually phones and says "they're on Friday 9.00 until 1.00 and again next week."
Past years I've had them in the first two weeks of October, just like this time, although the doc hasn't called yet. Maybe that's because it's not practical to have the line-up they usually do. My SD still needs hers, she was working on the day of the appointments.

From what I hear on the local radio and newspaper, it seems the pharmacies are limiting the numbers they do from supplies they've had so far so as not to run out before the next delivery.

I'm not sure what the difference is between waiting for a shot because they are restricting them or waiting for one because first supply ran out.
Old Yesterday, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I phoned my local pharmacy (New York north country) this morning to make an appointment for my flu shot, the first item on their recording was “we are out of flu shots, please call back later.” Not a good sign. Previous years, I’ve just walked in and got the shot immediately (free of charge, Medicare.) This year, I thought I should book an appointment because of the Covid new reality.
I may be lucky in that I pursued this early. I've never had one before so I can't say what is normal here.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
How long did you say you've been away? I remember them way back. I managed to find a reference to Tesco establishing theirs in 1990.
I left in 1983. But being a young, reckless, healthy guy, pharmacies weren't at the forefront of my mind! 'Boots the Chemist' was my only idea of a pharmacy, back then.
Old Yesterday, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
In the US and the UK people are being encouraged to get them to help keep hospitalizations from flu down when the hospitals are under pressure from covid already. Also, it seems that you really don't want to get flu and covid at the same time.
Yeah very high demand here this year as well. So many seniors wanting Fluzone high dose vaccine there is a shortage of it, regular vaccine supplies are good, its just the way they are distributed, pharmacies only receive small batches at a time from the provincial health services and its spread over the entire season, one pharmacy on the news said they are only able to vaccinate 100 people per week between the supply they get and following COVID procedures.

I suspect demand may also be higher than anticipated, BC doesn't cover everyone so they don't buy enough flu vaccine to vaccinate everyone, but the 3 million or so they bought this year may end up not meeting the demand.

It's one downside to a single payer system, access can be hindered in non-emergencies.