Flat Earth

Old May 26th 2017, 10:43 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flat Earth

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

Holy shitting arseholes, they are mental
Between the disc world and the wall of ice with things beyond, I can only conclude they've been reading too much Terry Pratchett and watching too much Game of Thrones
Old May 26th 2017, 1:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri View Post
Between the disc world and the wall of ice with things beyond, I can only conclude they've been reading too much Terry Pratchett and watching too much Game of Thrones
I haven't read any myself, but I have it on pretty good authority that there is no such thing as too much Terry Pratchett
Old Jun 5th 2017, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Interested to see this come up, it's something I've looked into extensively myself.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 9:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Interested to see this come up, it's something I've looked into extensively myself.
Did you find the edge?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Did you find the edge?
I think it is most likely a realm such as Tesla described

https://www.metabunk.org/attachments/nt-jpg.25715/
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:02 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When the ice caps covering the poles are gone the world is going to change a lot.
Stories of a Hollow Earth | The Public Domain Review
She's a - round, but she's a - hollow, like a football.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had never heard of Auguste Piccard until I started looking into this subject.
Attached Thumbnails Flat Earth-image.jpg  
Old Jun 6th 2017, 3:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of Auguste Piccard until I started looking into this subject.
That looks incredibly like its made of cast iron. Just what you need for going upwards...
Old Jun 6th 2017, 3:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
That looks incredibly like its made of cast iron. Just what you need for going upwards...
I looked him up. It appears it may have been attached to a hot air balloon.

He was able to make it up to just under 52,000'. At that altitude, it would be hard to see the curvature of the earth clearly and the 'upturned edge' he described would probably be an artifact of the appearance of the atmosphere at the horizon. I would imagine at that height, which is only 5-7,000' higher than the likes of a Lear Jet would cruise at, one would perceive the Earth as being flat.

Get up to 80,000' and above, and the curvature of the Earth becomes much more apparent. Get into space and, obviously, it is confirmed.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I looked him up. It appears it may have been attached to a hot air balloon.

He was able to make it up to just under 52,000'. At that altitude, it would be hard to see the curvature of the earth clearly and the 'upturned edge' he described would probably be an artifact of the appearance of the atmosphere at the horizon. I would imagine at that height, which is only 5-7,000' higher than the likes of a Lear Jet would cruise at, one would perceive the Earth as being flat.

Get up to 80,000' and above, and the curvature of the Earth becomes much more apparent. Get into space and, obviously, it is confirmed.
Yeah, I guessed that from the ropes...

If only he'd used aluminium.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Yeah, I guessed that from the ropes...

If only he'd used aluminium.
He might have made 75,000' if he'd used aluminium, then he'd likely have seen the curvature
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He might have made 75,000' if he'd used aluminium, then he'd likely have seen the curvature
The height at which the curvature may be seen appears to change a lot depending on source

This says 35,000 ft for example

https://www.howitworksdaily.com/10-i...-space-robots/

Oh I think that link changes here's a screenshot
Attached Thumbnails Flat Earth-image.jpg  

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jun 6th 2017 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:56 pm
I have a comma problem

The height at which the curvature may be seen appears to change a lot depending on source

This says 35,000 ft for example

https://www.howitworksdaily.com/10-i...-space-robots/
I've never seen it at 35,000', nor at 39,000' which is the highest cruising altitude I've heard a pilot say we were at on a flight I've been on. I have read it was possible to just make it out on Concorde at 60,000' but you need to be up above 70,000' for it to be noticeable.

Wide-angle lenses can make the horizon appear to be curved, so photographs from Everest (29,029') or from the windows of commercial airliners at cruise can be misleading. But it is understandable that to someone who is at 50,000' for the first time in their life, looking out of a small porthole in a pressurized capsule attached to a balloon that they might say the earth appeared 'flat'.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Oops, quick note to address your screenshot - it does say you need ideal conditions as well, which would explain why I've not seen it on a plane (either we were cruising below 35,000', I had too narrow a field of view or it was cloudy/undercast).
Old Jun 6th 2017, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oops, quick note to address your screenshot - it does say you need ideal conditions as well, which would explain why I've not seen it on a plane (either we were cruising below 35,000', I had too narrow a field of view or it was cloudy/undercast).
Kind of interesting that we never hear about this guy though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.