Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Enter the Wokeness

Enter the Wokeness

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 7:47 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter the Wokeness

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You can question it. But you (we) overestimate your ability to stop it from happening and over-index the importance of things you personally dislike. Twas ever thus. I, along with my entire generation, was going to be destroyed by a)too much tv b)too much hair on men c)cannabis d) the wrong music e)too much sex f)the wrong clothes etc etc etc. Those things all changed anyway, and we all survived.

It is actually possible to learn from people younger than yourself, and sometimes they are right and we are wrong.
I accept that it is their future that is being forged. Sometimes they are right and we are wrong, and sometimes it's vice versa. My interest is in what's right (or what we who are alive deem is right) regardless of age.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 7:56 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
This is why discussion is so important. There is no one definition of things, and trying to control the definition is a tactic that some groups use. Recently, the tactic has been to re-define and control what constitutues racism, setting up a Kafkatrap for those who dispute it. The charge certainly seems to be that equality has been repressed in America, but the question is whether that is indeed the case or whether it is a legacy effect from what was indeed systematic racism up until the late 20th century. Ask Oprah or Will Smith or Kanye West about how repressed they have been? There are a myriad of non-celebrity doctors, lawyers, scientists, and professors whom you could ask too. I'm of course not asserting that just because we have an Oprah and Obama that racism no longer exists in America (some would suggest that's exactly what I'm asserting - it isn't) I'm saying using that as a starting point, question the validity of the claim that sytematic racism remains pervasive. My sense is that the issue is more one of social inequality than racial inequality, though I accept a degree on interdependency, and that tackling the social/class issues is a better way forward than stoking racial division.
Racism and class issues go hand in hand in the USA. America is happy by and large to discuss questions of race and to acknowledge in some way that race is an issue (even if not proposing solutions) in a way that the UK has been uncomfortable about (until very recently) The USA is very uncomfortable at discussing class issues, almost a taboo. In a way that is opposite to the UK, we can talk about class until the cows come home (again, even if not presenting any solutions).
Class and racism being aligned in the USA is an historic inevitability, the failure of reconstruction, redlining, homesteading being a gift of land to almost exclusively white people, the failure of "forty acres and a mule". Racism has created the American class system in the way that it is today. It is impossible to look at the American class system and not acknowledge the racist nature of its development and resulting inequalities. A criticism of the American liberal (What Paulry would describe as Marxists) that I have, is that class is ignored, discussions solely focused on race equality, by American liberals, have an inherent acceptance that a percentage of people of color will remain in the positions of unfair inequality that they face today. The American left does try to address class inequality, but it is still a rare voice, the American left is still a small slice of politics, social inequality is still viewed by American society as a result of personal failure, rather than of circumstances. circumstances that favor some people over others.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:39 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about Universities....
I have an end of course presentation to give in a few weeks and one of the criteria in the rubric is oratory skills, including "accent", now being a Scouser, that might be a bit more of a red flag to me than many other Brits, but given how accent has been used discriminatory in the USA on class, region and race, I asked for clarification. The rubric has now been rewritten and reference to accent has been removed.
A minor victory for the Woke Marxist-Fascist agenda at the expense of the Marxist-Fascist University system!

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 23rd 2020 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Talking about Universities....
I have an end of course presentation to give in a few weeks and one of the criteria in the rubric is oratory skills, including "accent", now being a Scouser, that might be a bit more of a red flag to me than many other Brits, but given how accent has been used discriminatory in the USA on class, region and race, I asked for clarification. The rubric has now been rewritten and reference to accent has been removed.
A minor victory for the Woke Marxist-Fascist agenda at the expense of the Marxist-Fascist University system!
I used to live 30 miles from Liverpool and still couldn't understand them There again do Scousers understand these Lancashire phrases?

Ah'reet cocker? / Ah'reet cock?, "Ah look at that babby.", Shut your cakehole!", "I keep my bike in my ginnel.,'"She keeps harping on at my about her birthday."

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly don't take shouty videos seriously; but if there's a grain of truth within them, I'm happy to acknowledge the point.
If there is a grain of truth in what someone who promotes extremist ideals says you can bet that someone else is espousing that same truth but without the accompanying damaging material that may influence others. Best left alone or challenged for the other view.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:07 pm
Fair and balanced

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I used to live 30 miles from Liverpool and still couldn't understand them There again do Scousers understand these Lancashire phrases?

Ah'reet cocker? / Ah'reet cock?, "Ah look at that babby.", Shut your cakehole!", "I keep my bike in my ginnel.,'"She keeps harping on at my about her birthday."

ginnel, would be the only word not known I would think, though I have heard it said that the Scouse word for an "ennog" is a jigger, but I have never heard anything other than ennog.
Scouse is a mashup up of Irish and Lancastrian, perhaps Scousers get Lancastrian more than Lancastrians get Scouse?
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:02 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Racism and class issues go hand in hand in the USA. America is happy by and large to discuss questions of race and to acknowledge in some way that race is an issue (even if not proposing solutions) in a way that the UK has been uncomfortable about (until very recently) The USA is very uncomfortable at discussing class issues, almost a taboo. In a way that is opposite to the UK, we can talk about class until the cows come home (again, even if not presenting any solutions).
Class and racism being aligned in the USA is an historic inevitability, the failure of reconstruction, redlining, homesteading being a gift of land to almost exclusively white people, the failure of "forty acres and a mule". Racism has created the American class system in the way that it is today. It is impossible to look at the American class system and not acknowledge the racist nature of its development and resulting inequalities. A criticism of the American liberal (What Paulry would describe as Marxists) that I have, is that class is ignored, discussions solely focused on race equality, by American liberals, have an inherent acceptance that a percentage of people of color will remain in the positions of unfair inequality that they face today. The American left does try to address class inequality, but it is still a rare voice, the American left is still a small slice of politics, social inequality is still viewed by American society as a result of personal failure, rather than of circumstances. circumstances that favor some people over others.
I wonder if the American view on class is changing. I listed to discussion on both the left and right, and do notice references to class much more than in the past. For example, a couple of decades ago, I rarely heard the term working class used in an American context. I also wonder if this virus and some of the recent racial equality aims will shift the American psyche on the horror of social democracy?

Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:04 pm
F.orum Ape

Some fine wokeness going on here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nner-in-london

Should the police have asked them to remove the banner, not sure, but certainly their second banner which equates dissent with their simplistic view as racism is pure woke.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Some fine wokeness going on here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nner-in-london

Should the police have asked them to remove the banner, not sure, but certainly their second banner which equates dissent with their simplistic view as racism is pure woke.
Yep, but also just a bunch of inexperienced and gullible kids who only half a dozen years or so ago were playing with their dolls houses. Their parents will be back from Majorca soon.....

Last edited by paulry; Jul 24th 2020 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

This is cleverly done with a twist at the end:

Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:32 am
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
This is cleverly done with a twist at the end:

https://youtu.be/AOMpxsiUg2Q
Couldn't sit through the entire 8 mins of that. First minute and last minute, saw the twist. Well.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Couldn't sit through the entire 8 mins of that. First minute and last minute, saw the twist. Well.
It was okay. A clever albeit simplified demonstration of how "priviliges" and interventions work and what the end result is - which in some ways is how things are working out in western countries.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...civil-n1234886

From Black lives to 'white spectacle,' Portland protests have lost focus, civil rights leaders say

“The focus has been moved from where it is supposed to be and made to be a spectacle, a debacle," said the president of the Portland NAACP.
Vaguely interesting to watch the competing elements fight amongst themselves, which one will come out on top?
Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...civil-n1234886

Vaguely interesting to watch the competing elements fight amongst themselves, which one will come out on top?

They're all playing the identity politics game - both will lose.

Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:07 pm
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
They're discussing the stuff that gets taught in schools, history, English etc taught with Marxist leanings, white privilege, lowering of standards, different teachings and expectations of students dependent on their racial backgrounds. It all explains very well the rise of marxist ANTIFA, BLM, pulling down of statues, burning of flags.
Which schools teach these? Any actual specific schools you could name?

Does Barron Trump go to one of these?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.