Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Do you practice your faith?

Do you practice your faith?

Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:09 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you practice your faith!

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
In my opinion, many have faith because they don't understand the reason for their existence and problems occur and although faith does not explain that reason, it justifies why things happen that it is "gods will" and there is a purpose which we don't understand.

Many humans can't accept that we are just like other animals and there may not be any purpose to our lives and just that sh*t happens.
We all have an ego and thinking that shit happens really hurts our ego. So we end up with such ridiculous egocentric thoughts that god intervenes to save us from an earthquake for instance while that same god let thousands of others die. And they will think they are being humble.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
In my opinion, many have faith because they don't understand the reason for their existence and problems occur and although faith does not explain that reason, it justifies why things happen that it is "gods will" and there is a purpose which we don't understand.

Many humans can't accept that we are just like other animals and there may not be any purpose to our lives and just that sh*t happens.
Exactly. People find it hard to deal with the randomness of life and so seek out patterns / 'meaning' to everything.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

No belief myself in religion, but I respect the rights of others to believe in whatever form of 'god' or 'afterlife' they want. Some people seem to need something to get them through life.
Personally though...
Attached Thumbnails Do you practice your faith?-mj5ea.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Inse. Your thumbnail gave me a smile. Nice one!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:17 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to view religion with suspicion. It's often a good indicator of deeper and more sinister problems.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:13 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Here under the Bible belt, whenever the question comes up, I tell people I'm a Druid, but don't practice as the costume gets taken for something else here.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
The reason I ask is 2 fold really a friend on FB just posted she was proud to be a Catholic and it got me thinking are you proud of your religion did you choose your belief or was it bestowed upon you by your parents as a child, did you change it through marriage, and do you practice it today!

I have never been christened and would like to do it even at the ripe old age of 48yrs, my parents back in the day wanted me to choose my own faith, they have since both passed away and weird as it may seem I want to be christened even if I am a little old in the tooth!

I am sure this could get a bit heated but curious!
Go for it, it will add to your sense of belonging, and give you peace. To categorically state there is a higher power is problematic, we could all be red blood cells in the armpit of a giant. For the same reason to categorically state there is no Higher power is just as problematic, there's not a human on the face of this earth that is knowledgeable enough to make that statement.

(PS. I haven't just joined, I was out of the pic for a couple of years with cancer, now in remission)

Last edited by vauxhallmonterey; Nov 13th 2013 at 3:10 pm. Reason: Just joined note
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vauxhallmonterey View Post
Go for it, it will add to your sense of belonging, and give you peace. To categorically state there is a higher power is problematic, we could all be red blood cells in the armpit of a giant. For the same reason to categorically state there is no Higher power is just as problematic, there's not a human on the face of this earth that is knowledgeable enough to make that statement.

(PS. I haven't just joined, I was out of the pic for a couple of years with cancer, now in remission)

I do hope that you are recovering well and sorry to hear about your cancer, but great that it is in remission .......are we aloud to know who you were in your past life on BE or this something you would prefer to remain annoymous about, which I am sure will be respected!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:25 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, good stuff that your cancer is in remission.

Now, to the debate

I'm going to disagree that it is problematic to state that there is no higher power. Given the overwhelming lack of evidence for one, I'd say it's more problematic to state that there is one. I might not be 100% certain, but as the evidence stands right now, I am 99.99% sure there is no god/creator/supernatural or whatever else you want to call it. If evidence (and I mean scientific, not anecdotal evidence by someone who 'saw ghosts' or 'hear god speak to them') comes to light contrary to what exists now, then I will rethink my position.

As Tim Minchin said "Science adjusts its beliefs based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that beleif can be preserved ..."

What gives me peace is the knowledge that every single atom inside my body, your body and everyone else's were formed inside long dead stars, billions of years ago in the early universe and were thrown out in giant supernovae and when I'm long dead, those atoms will go on to form more stars, or people, or someone's ham sandwich.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Firstly, good stuff that your cancer is in remission.

Now, to the debate

I'm going to disagree that it is problematic to state that there is no higher power. Given the overwhelming lack of evidence for one, I'd say it's more problematic to state that there is one. I might not be 100% certain, but as the evidence stands right now, I am 99.99% sure there is no god/creator/supernatural or whatever else you want to call it. If evidence (and I mean scientific, not anecdotal evidence by someone who 'saw ghosts' or 'hear god speak to them') comes to light contrary to what exists now, then I will rethink my position.

As Tim Minchin said "Science adjusts its beliefs based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that beleif can be preserved ..."

What gives me peace is the knowledge that every single atom inside my body, your body and everyone else's were formed inside long dead stars, billions of years ago in the early universe and were thrown out in giant supernovae and when I'm long dead, those atoms will go on to form more stars, or people, or someone's ham sandwich.
"Someones ham sandwich"
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:34 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
"Someones ham sandwich"
A bit of light humour to end the post, but it is true, in a manner of speaking.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, was Woocus before, I think. Spent many hours lurking to keep up, but my memory went for a burton and couldn't remember log in dets. Nice to see BE going on strong.
@Sultan, the only part I dispute is the 0.01 percent uncertaintainty, I think thats' a much larger figure.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:38 pm
Hail Satan!

@Sultan, the only part I dispute is the 0.01 percent uncertaintainty, I think thats' a much larger figure.
That's a variable. In my mind, I am 99.99% sure, others may not be, running the full spectrum from strong atheism to agnosticism, before you get into theism.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:40 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There is no problem in stating there is no higher power, as there is no indication or evidence that such a power exists. A remote possibility does not need acknowledging, We do not need to consider the existence of Russels tea pot, it is not problematic, and neither are unicorns. We do not consider the remote possibilities of tea pots nor unicorns. We live our lives based on the assumption that they do not exist. If evidence was found of either tea pots or unicorns, we would re-evaluate our position. Not problematic.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:52 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just read this thread as the end bit to Big Bang Theory came on. I missed the end card bit that pops up but reckoned they'd all be on the internet somewhere.

I found the relevant site, clicked on a random one and this is what I got:

Every night before going to bed, he would brush his teeth and make a preemptive attempt to void his bladder. He then walked into his closet, got on his knees in front of the shoe rack and prayed to a god whose unlikely existence he likened to an ongoing quantum event. In his mind, the act of kneeling mattered not at all to this supposed god. He could just as well pray standing naked on his head with his ass serving as a fleshy vase for a bouquet of flowers. The penitential pose was only useful as a demonstration of his humility in the face of the infinite (although when things were going his way, it was more of a feigned humility). The prayers themselves mostly consisted of thanking his sub-atomic almighty verb for assembling an infrastructure that allowed for life to exist. This included, in no particular order, the various laws of physics, gravity, organic chemistry and thermodynamics. And, since it was his belief that sentient life was created by an insentient universe in order for the insentient universe to be admired, he made an effort in his prayers to tell the insentience, "nice work" or "way to go". Finally, he would close with a plea for this nameless everything to look after the less fortunate. "Please god, despite the clear evidence that it's not in your nature to care, bring love and happiness to all the souls who suffer." Then, his heart filled with grace, he would climb into bed and sleep peacefully until he dreamed he was standing in his closet and peeing on his shoes - god's clever way of telling him he had to wake up and go to the bathroom
I'm not quite sure what the Gods are trying to tell me

chucklorre.com #349

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.