Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Deprivation and poverty...

Deprivation and poverty...

Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deprivation and poverty...

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
My mother was evacuated from London to Ripon.
As she told me when applied to food there, "They didn't know there was a war on.."
My family lived in Sheffield...the were well aware there was a war on.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
My mother was evacuated from London to Ripon.
As she told me when applied to food there, "They didn't know there was a war on.."

My mother was in Sussex. She used to watch the dogfights overhead.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

My great grandparents were living during WW2 but they were in the US, but they were quite impoverished during the 1930's, on both sides of the family, I think the war is what got them out of poverty and to California, not that I would want a war in order for people to move out of poverty, just luck they were born in the US and had that benefit.

My grandparents were 10-11 years old when the war ended so they didn't have many memories of it, and too young to remember the depression.

Thinking about it, amazing how back then my great grandmother could work in a diner at a department store and did so from mid 1940's to mid 1970's when she retired as a waitress and not only that retire with a pension, oh how times have changed.

Without the depression and WW2, I could be here, those 2 events are how my great grandparents and grandparents got to California which eventually led to my parents and then me, time is weird, if certain events had not taken place who knows how many of us would not exist today.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
My great grandparents were living during WW2 but they were in the US, but they were quite impoverished during the 1930's, on both sides of the family, I think the war is what got them out of poverty and to California, not that I would want a war in order for people to move out of poverty, just luck they were born in the US and had that benefit.

My grandparents were 10-11 years old when the war ended so they didn't have many memories of it, and too young to remember the depression.

Thinking about it, amazing how back then my great grandmother could work in a diner at a department store and did so from mid 1940's to mid 1970's when she retired as a waitress and not only that retire with a pension, oh how times have changed.

Without the depression and WW2, I could be here, those 2 events are how my great grandparents and grandparents got to California which eventually led to my parents and then me, time is weird, if certain events had not taken place who knows how many of us would not exist today.
I only have a couple of memories of my father before the age of eight, he was away in the RAF although not in combat he rarely came home.
I lived in an all female household during the war. My Mother, my Aunt, my Grandmother and my cousin. I often wonder if that influenced me in latter life. It was a very loving enviroment.

Last edited by johnwoo; Mar 26th 2021 at 3:23 am.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 10:54 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
I remeber rationing in the UK. Ended in 1955 I think.
Close Scotty! August 1954, in prep for my forthcoming arrival!
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that experience did influence you in life, especially if it was during your early development years. Our environment we grow up in plays a role in how we turn out later in life.

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
I only have a couple of memories of my father before the age of eight, he was away in the RAF although not in combat he rarely came home.
I lived in an all female household during the war. My Mother, my Aunt, my Grandmother and my cousin. I often wonder if that influenced me in latter life. It was a very loving enviroment.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 8:39 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Close Scotty! August 1954, in prep for my forthcoming arrival!
I may have already just arrived.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Article on Child poverty is Saskatchewan which is located in Canada.

Children living in lone-parent families experience the highest poverty rate.

Less than 5% of lone parent families have a male parent.

28.6% of children in poverty are under 6, children who spend these developmental years in poverty on average by age 3, 9 months behind their peers from wealthier families, more likely to have chronic illness.

In 1989 Canadian Government promised to end child poverty by 2000, which certainly never happened.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7722857/s...overty-report/

Old Mar 27th 2021, 9:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

‘I knew they were hungry’: the stimulus feature that lifts millions of US kids out of poverty
...she couldn’t afford food let alone a dollar under the pillow.

Howie woke that morning and shouted out to his grandmother: “Memaw, my tooth’s still here, what happened?” He frantically scoured the bedding for a note or coins, then slumped to the floor and cried.
Not familiar with Memaw. Presumably similar to (French) Mamie.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It's not even that common in the US, regions of the south apparently use it for Grandma.

Old Mar 27th 2021, 10:09 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It's not even that common in the US, regions of the south apparently use it for Grandma.
Young Sheldon / Big Bang Theory.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Young Sheldon / Big Bang Theory.
Totally forgot they say that on those shows, ha ha. I watch both too.

Old Apr 1st 2021, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

4 potatoes
4 large carrots
2 apples
1 frozen meat loaf
2 loafs cinnamon bread
3 jars of peanut butter
2 packages of uncle bens quick rice (not a package of bulk rice but the flavored specialty rice)
1 jar of spicy tomato oil (first for me, had no idea a thing existed.)
1 package of bread crumbs
box of cheerios cereal
1 liter of milk
4 rolls toilet paper
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

6 boxes frozen waffles (6 waffles in each)

2 1kg spaghetti noodles, dry

1 liter milk

2 cans tuna

aluminum foil

6 carrots

4 bell peppers

4 apples

plant based pot pie

2 cans spaghetti sauce

It's hard eating diabetic friendly at the food bank.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 8:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A new Housing Benefit in New Brunswick, Canada. Between $300 and $475 a month for a max three years.
The announcement I heard said it was initially going to people on the waiting list for social housing. NB is the latest province to introduce it apparently, so there may be something similar in other parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.