Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Apr 10th 2020, 1:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
So as of yesterday our pal's sister was deemed to show enough severe symptoms to receive a test, a positive test. Given her respiratory difficulties & fever had escalated to .... very difficult, she is now in ICU.
So not flu then.
Best of luck to her.

Apparently, we would all have been better off in California. This may turn out to be interesting.

https://www-ksbw-com.cdn.ampproject....id-19/32073873
Old Apr 10th 2020, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
And how are you feeling today ... hopefully better!
I do feel better, not as tired, but still have a cough and some chest congestion, thinking its something else entirely, but still clearly something....just who knows what.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Best of luck to her.

Apparently, we would all have been better off in California. This may turn out to be interesting.

Interesting. I wonder if here in British Columbia something similiar could of happened, we are not seeing the huge increases other parts of Canada have been seeing, and our curve never really went up very high, a small peak, then pretty level for the last months.

We have a large Chinese population and before this pandemic, Vancouver either had the most North America to China flights or 2nd most, but we had a lot of flights to /from China between Air Canada and variety of China based airlines plus EVA and Cathay.

And we also saw flu season start early, which maybe now wasn't really the flu. I hope a university Canada does similiar research would be curious to know if something similar occurred here.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:34 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I was reminded of that particularly wacko element of the Jewish faith when I was looking for a new fridge last week! One fridge had a 'feature' called, I think, 'sabbath mode' or similar. Basically, in this mode, the fridge would stop 'working' (actively cooling, I presume) but would somehow manage to keep the contents cold. I once worked with a guy who had all the lights in his house on timers, so they would come on and go off without him having to touch them (for the sabbath).

Found this - https://www.hunker.com/13409700/what...-refrigerators"Sabbath mode was created so that Orthodox Jews can avoid the lights and sounds that come with using refrigerators and allows them to use the oven without having to interact with the electrical system to turn it on. The Sabbath requires that no fans, lights, icons, digits, displays or tones are activated. This can be problematic with all the pings and display icon pop-ups that occur when using today's appliances.

When an appliance is placed in Sabbath mode, it can be used without having to be turned on or off, which is prohibited during the holy time. For instance, the Sabbath mode in a refrigerator doesn't stop the appliance from working, but it does keep the interior light from turning on.""
Yeah, so anytime I wonder about some of the weird things the Nuns said, I just have to content mysrlf with thinking "What would the creator of all things want?". Now I know, He'd want someone to design a special system so that the light doesn't come on in my fridge, but does come on in my lounge on particular days!!

I mean, that's OK, isn't it? Presumably someone is working on breeding pigs with horns, so they can pass as cattle...... cos that'll satisfy the old man, right? Why should the most omnipotent being in the universe get picky over that? Maybe others are breeding seafood with long legs, so it doesn't "crawl on its belly". Next it'll be the genetically engineered detachable foreskin..... there's no end to the ways technology can help out with those pesky rules!!

The machine to re-programme Catholics not to feel guilty might take a bit longer..........................
Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:49 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My g/f's best-friend's son improved 3 days ago but today his fever has returned and is now under doctor supervision again. This is after his wife (a dentist) was found positive for C-19 and hospitalized, and then recovered.
10th April NZ time :
So as of yesterday our pal's sister was deemed to show enough severe symptoms to finally receive a test, a positive test. No surprise there. Given her respiratory difficulties & fever had escalated to .... very difficult, she is now in ICU.

So not flu then.
At the risk of sounding "thoughts and prayers", I wish all those stricken with this blight a swift recovery.

I know I'm likely to be disappointed a good percentage of the time and I fear that loss will touch me, personally, but there's not much else we can do except try not to be a vector for further infection. I know this too is not the answer, just a delay, and that many, many more people will be infected until we can wrestle this pestilence to a halt. Some of those people will die before what we might think is their allotted time, some of them will be known to me. Such is life.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if here in British Columbia something similiar could of happened, we are not seeing the huge increases other parts of Canada have been seeing, and our curve never really went up very high, a small peak, then pretty level for the last months.

We have a large Chinese population and before this pandemic, Vancouver either had the most North America to China flights or 2nd most, but we had a lot of flights to /from China between Air Canada and variety of China based airlines plus EVA and Cathay.

And we also saw flu season start early, which maybe now wasn't really the flu. I hope a university Canada does similiar research would be curious to know if something similar occurred here.
Definitely something worth pursuing; and something to be optimistic about.

Remember, JSmith, CA has two major concentrations of Chinese-origin people, vs BC's one (Vancouver). CA has both LA and SF Bay Area. Both have massive Chinese populations (the city of SF is 34% Asian; Santa Clara county (home of San Jose, Mountain View, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc) is also 34% Asian). LA has a much smaller percentage, but also has a much higher overall population. So I would suspect that the numbers are higher for CA, and thus, more reasons for people to travel perhaps? But regardless, BC should 'see' some of the same characteristics, one would think.

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 10th 2020 at 4:16 am.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 4:34 am
Account Closed

Definitely something worth pursuing; and something to be optimistic about.

Remember, JSmith, CA has two major concentrations of Chinese-origin people, vs BC's one. CA has both LA and SF Bay Area. Both have massive Chinese populations (the city of SF is 34% Asian; Santa Clara county (home of San Jose, Mountain View, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc) is also 34% Asian). LA has a much smaller percentage, but also has a much higher overall population. So I would suspect that the numbers are higher for CA, and thus, more reasons for people to travel perhaps? But regardless, BC should 'see' some of the same characteristics, one would think.
Yes of course BC will be less people as well we have 5 million vs California's 40 million, but on a smaller scale something similiar could be happening here.

Looks like as of 2016, Metro Vancouver is 20% Chinese, Richmond a city across the river from Vancouver and where the airport is, is 53% Chinese, Metro Vancouver includes many of the suburbs, most of our Chinese population live in Richmond, followed by Vancouver.

We also have a fairly large SE Asian community that makes up 12% of Metro Vancouver, Surrey about 30 minutes of Vancouver I believe has the largest SE Asian population at 32% with Abbotsford (44-60 minutes east of Vancouver) at around 25%. But Abbotsford isn't part of Metro Vancouver.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 4:47 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

10th April NZ time :
So as of yesterday our pal's sister was deemed to show enough severe symptoms to finally receive a test, a positive test. No surprise there. Given her respiratory difficulties & fever had escalated to .... very difficult, she is now in ICU.

So not flu then.
So long to have to go with no help. Awful.
Hope she recovers quickly now she is being treated.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Not just the US where gun and ammo sales have gone up.

Guns and ammo sales up 200% vs same time last year.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/sales-of-firea...emic-1.4889246
Old Apr 10th 2020, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Interesting article, ventilators in some patients might do more harm than good.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to her.

Very sceptical about this, given how this virus behaves when given a whole population to spread freely, where are the statistics that back up this trend for the early fall flu outbreak? The lethality and RO of Covid 19 wouldn't have gone unnoticed during that period.

Also not read great things about an antibody test giving sound results particularly beyond 28days past infection.

"Social distancing could be playing a role but New York's stay-at-home order went into effect on March 22, three days after California implemented its order."

It already looks as though New York's cases came from Europe on a secondary basis, JFK is probably the number one airport for this kind of travel, the majority of the cases are in NYC itself with very dense population.

And three days earlier is a fairly large amount given the time period this has spread..
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Next door have been buiding a bonfire for a couple of weeks now. Some cars have arrived and people gone up to the house. Now if a bonfire party happens tonight do I keep my head down and ignore the ****ing morons or do I call the police?
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Next door have been buiding a bonfire for a couple of weeks now. Some cars have arrived and people gone up to the house. Now if a bonfire party happens tonight do I keep my head down and ignore the ****ing morons or do I call the police?
Try the fire brigade
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Try the fire brigade
Could do that. Mind you it's been raining most of the day so hopefully it won't light.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 9:05 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Presumably someone is working on breeding pigs with horns, so they can pass as cattle...... cos that'll satisfy the old man, right? Why should the most omnipotent being in the universe get picky over that?

https://www.newsweek.com/cloned-pigs...tically-857497

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.