Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Oct 15th 2020, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Do you, or anyone, understand the dynamics of this? The vaccines are being worked on by companies (in association with universities in some cases). How many companies in total, and in how many countries? Are individual companies working on vaccines in multiple countries? Are all companies going after the same exact thing, or are some companies targeting niche areas, such as a vaccine for the elderly, or a vaccine that can be inhaled vs injected, etc? If one company finds a successful vaccine, will they then publish the 'formula' (or whatever it is called) so that all the other companies can start manufacturing it? Will all the other companies continue to pursue their own solutions, still, or cut their losses and stop? Has each company committed up-front to deliver its vaccine to various countries? Lots of questions! I need to read a good article on the topic!

The Serum Institute of India, mentioned in above post, has promised to do that.

https://www.deccanherald.com/science...es-894705.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/naaznee.../#39864f1314ca

Old Oct 15th 2020, 11:58 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

St. Regis Mohawk Tribe expand their travel advisory.

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....id-19-outbreak

This is our nearby First Nations territory. They are a significant population, because they can travel freely to and from Canada and the United States. (The international border is closed to other people, except for certain categories such as delivery trucks etc.)
Old Oct 16th 2020, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Do you, or anyone, understand the dynamics of this? The vaccines are being worked on by companies (in association with universities in some cases). How many companies in total, and in how many countries? Are individual companies working on vaccines in multiple countries? Are all companies going after the same exact thing, or are some companies targeting niche areas, such as a vaccine for the elderly, or a vaccine that can be inhaled vs injected, etc? If one company finds a successful vaccine, will they then publish the 'formula' (or whatever it is called) so that all the other companies can start manufacturing it? Will all the other companies continue to pursue their own solutions, still, or cut their losses and stop? Has each company committed up-front to deliver its vaccine to various countries? Lots of questions! I need to read a good article on the topic!
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
The Serum Institute of India, mentioned in above post, has promised to do that.

https://www.deccanherald.com/science...es-894705.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/naaznee.../#39864f1314ca
I found this detailed NYTimes article that lists many of the vaccines under development - pretty amazing list! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html Vaccines coming from China, India, Russia, Australia, various European countries and of course the US. It's interesting that country 'x' is developing a vaccine, and testing it in country 'y'. What I still don't have a good sense of is, does it make sense to have all these different vaccines being developed if a few of the 'front runners' prove effective. Would it not make more sense to abandon your own vaccine development and use your production facilities to produce a successful one? Do we need over 100 different vaccines? I suppose the reason not to do that is even the front runners may prove less effective in time, and it would be good to have alternatives? Still, looks like a lot of choices.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

I found this detailed NYTimes article that lists many of the vaccines under development - pretty amazing list! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html Vaccines coming from China, India, Russia, Australia, various European countries and of course the US. It's interesting that country 'x' is developing a vaccine, and testing it in country 'y'. What I still don't have a good sense of is, does it make sense to have all these different vaccines being developed if a few of the 'front runners' prove effective. Would it not make more sense to abandon your own vaccine development and use your production facilities to produce a successful one? Do we need over 100 different vaccines? I suppose the reason not to do that is even the front runners may prove less effective in time, and it would be good to have alternatives? Still, looks like a lot of choices.
There is a difference between development and the subsequent large scale testing and production. Production depends on time and economics.

Example--The Oxford vaccine initially developed at Oxford University depends on the partnership with AstraZeneca for further testing and production. AstraZeneca has in turn made agreements with other countries for testing and production.
The Serum Institute of India mentioned above was one of the first to enter into an agreement with AstraZeneca to test and produce---- if it fails the cost to the company will be enormous.
Only companies such as the Serum Institute with financial background (and philanthropic outlook) have the ability to take the risk.

Old Oct 16th 2020, 11:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 17th 2020, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Further to post 4474

India already planning organisation of vaccination.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-m...home-topscroll

Just heard Fareed Zakaria speaking on NDTV---regarding global issue---'We are not safe unless everybody is vaccinated'.**
He points out India has indigenous pharmaceutical capacity and 'a good chance will probably be the first country to vaccinate entire population'.
As stated previously India's Serum Institute will also donate to poorer countries.

Where are USA and EU regarding distribution plans?

** As always! Promoting his book on 'After the pandemic'!
Old Oct 18th 2020, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It just occurred to me, I have a rather fundamental question about the testing of the vaccines. I have heard it said that it would be immoral to intentionally infect someone with the virus, given that it can be deadly. So - if you have 10,000 volunteers who are given a vaccine (or a placebo), the testing can demonstrate the vaccine does not harm you, but ... how do you demonstrate the vaccine actually 'does anything'? If I were a test participant, and I go about my daily life, how do they know if I'm 'covid free' because the vaccine is working, or because I'm being careful?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 7:52 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Where are USA and EU regarding distribution plans?
Is Google playing up again?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Is Google playing up again?

Why not put links to what you have read then? I tend to listen to TV and words coming out of mouths!

(I did mention above a USA journalist ---to keep in line with TIO! )

USA don't seem to be doing much yet! EU still thinking.

https://www.wbur.org/npr/924247360/facing-many-unknowns-states-rush-to-plan-distribution-of-covid-19-vaccines
https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-eyes-loophole-for-early-distribution-of-unlicensed-coronavirus-vaccine/

Old Oct 18th 2020, 10:30 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Why not put links to what you have read then? I tend to listen to TV and words coming out of mouths!

(I did mention above a USA journalist ---to keep in line with TIO! )

USA don't seem to be doing much yet! EU still thinking.

https://www.wbur.org/npr/924247360/facing-many-unknowns-states-rush-to-plan-distribution-of-covid-19-vaccines
https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-eyes-loophole-for-early-distribution-of-unlicensed-coronavirus-vaccine/
My apologies - I mistook the enquiry in your previous post for one of those casual "EU bad" throwaways as opposed to a genuine question.

Here's the latest on what the EU says with regard to its own member states : Coronavirus: Commission lists key steps for effective vaccination strategies and vaccines deployment

Here's an earlier, fuller rundown on more general lines : Questions and Answers: Coronavirus and the EU Vaccines Strategy

Here's a more specific addressing of the EU's partaking in the global response : Coronavirus Global Response: the Commission’s contribution to the COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access Facility (COVAX)

Your link to the politico article isn't working, by the way, so I can't tell what it is in there that makes you think the Commission is dilly-dallying.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My apologies - I mistook the enquiry in your previous post for one of those casual "EU bad" throwaways as opposed to a genuine question.

Here's the latest on what the EU says with regard to its own member states : Coronavirus: Commission lists key steps for effective vaccination strategies and vaccines deployment

Here's an earlier, fuller rundown on more general lines : Questions and Answers: Coronavirus and the EU Vaccines Strategy

Here's a more specific addressing of the EU's partaking in the global response : Coronavirus Global Response: the Commission’s contribution to the COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access Facility (COVAX)

Your link to the politico article isn't working, by the way, so I can't tell what it is in there that makes you think the Commission is dilly-dallying.

No need to apologise because it was something of a 'USA and EU less good ' ---'throwaway'! As India are much further ahead with definite specific distribution plans not just 'intentions' for future action. (Also the routine use of remdesivir ---has been for some time ----genuine question ---do ordinary --not private--citizens get it in USA and EU countries?)

(The politico article link ---works for me?)

Old Oct 18th 2020, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing synchronicity of this vaccine becoming available at its maximum theatrical point of need (people demanding to be injected now!) My inner voice keeps saying....hey this could have been in a warehouse for years ...waiting for this moment for the state to jab you with it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tion-line.html

Nato Jimmy head of queue 😅
Old Oct 18th 2020, 5:40 pm
Who - me?

No need to apologise because it was something of a 'USA and EU less good ' ---'throwaway'! As India are much further ahead with definite specific distribution plans not just 'intentions' for future action. (Also the routine use of remdesivir ---has been for some time ----genuine question ---do ordinary --not private--citizens get it in USA and EU countries?)

(The politico article link ---works for me?)
Seems to be conjoined to the other one - it's ok though, I found my way to the article. That one's about using unlicensed medicines, which is something of a different topic. I can understand the reluctance on the part of both member states and the Commission.

On the other matter, you'd have to explain to me why any commitment coming from India is concrete whereas those emanating from the EU are only intrentions
Old Oct 18th 2020, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seems to be conjoined to the other one - it's ok though, I found my way to the article. That one's about using unlicensed medicines, which is something of a different topic. I can understand the reluctance on the part of both member states and the Commission.

On the other matter, you'd have to explain to me why any commitment coming from India is concrete whereas those emanating from the EU are only intrentions
The India Serum Institute was one of the first to agree to produce and test the Oxford vaccine (AstraZeneca) and will soon be ready, also they are producing other Covid vaccines. (I have put posts about this).
The government have decided to open the General Election voting centres for vaccines to be given. There are plenty of volunteers to help.

For the more wealthy middle class, vaccine will be given at home as the flu vaccine is being given at the moment (relatives were surprised that we had to go to a surgery for our flu jab!!)
Old Oct 18th 2020, 8:28 pm
Who - me?

So they've stated their intentions, then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.