Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Oct 6th 2020, 10:43 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I wonder if they tried turning it off and turning it back on again.
The world's off switch is under the South Pole as soon as the ice has melted someone will do that.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

102 new cases and 2 more deaths here in BC, but apparently the curve of active cases is flattening again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ct-6-1.5752759
Old Oct 7th 2020, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
102 new cases and 2 more deaths here in BC, but apparently the curve of active cases is flattening again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ct-6-1.5752759
Canada still doing remarkably better than many other countries of interest. I was surprised to see that the US is now actually doing relatively OK, in terms of new cases! Look at all these countries who's new case rates are higher:

Death-wise, though, US is still almost the worst; only Spain is slightly worse. And Canada has overtaken the UK - that's a surprise (this chart focuses on the past 12 weeks only, which helps expand the chart):

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 7th 2020 at 6:24 am.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 7:18 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes I know. I wasn't picking on you. More like agreeing really.
Don't worry, I enjoyed your quotes a great deal.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Interesting how everyone is so eager to attack the UK government! The article you link clearly shows the issue is not with the contractor but with the government agency. Further, they aren't using Excel as the core repository, but rather, they are using 'csv' files (very common in such endeavors) and then - mind-bogglingly - using 'xls' format files somewhere in the process. 'xls' was replaced in 2007 by 'xlsx' format. Had they simply switched to using 'xlsx' format, the problem would not have occurred. Quite amazing. They probably didn't want to upgrade licenses to allow them to use the more up-to-date format.
People just want to blame someone and that someone suits their 'agenda' - whether it's private businesses profiteering because of nasty bastard capitalists, or the government being a shit show and BoJo being a clown or even just general public sector bodies being worthless, wasteful collections of noddies.

Whatever you dislike, you'll blame. Ironically, most people, deep down don't really love themselves or like themselves, so we should really be looking in the mirror.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

My sisters husband is out of the hospital, and recovering at home.

He is testing negative now for COVID, but still has breathing problems, and possible permanent lung damage, and he is still very fatigued.

Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:37 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's uncle was diagnosed with COVID last month on the 17th, 5 days later her aunt was saying he was fine and showing no signs of it, then it took a turn for the worse and died yesterday. It's hard to know exactly what happened though as he was in a VA nursing home and they hadn't let anyone, including his wife, visit for 7 months so I imagine any updates were given by whoever picks up the phone.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

He is testing negative now for COVID, but still has breathing problems, and possible permanent lung damage, and he is still very fatigued.
Is your sister testing OK too? Wasn't there another family member testing positive? Anyway - good news that he's back home!

Old Oct 9th 2020, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Is your sister testing OK too? Wasn't there another family member testing positive? Anyway - good news that he's back home!
My sister tested negative and has shown no symptoms but the antibody test suggests she had it, but was asymptomatic.

Her husband and daughter were the 2 that tested positive, daughter had very mild symptoms and is not longer symptomatic.

Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
My wife's uncle was diagnosed with COVID last month on the 17th, 5 days later her aunt was saying he was fine and showing no signs of it, then it took a turn for the worse and died yesterday. It's hard to know exactly what happened though as he was in a VA nursing home and they hadn't let anyone, including his wife, visit for 7 months so I imagine any updates were given by whoever picks up the phone.
Sympathies Spoogle and Mrs Spoogle
Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At least 8,000 minks (animals they make fur coats with) in Utah have died due to COVID on mink farms. Appears its human to mink transfer and no evidence of mink to human transfer.

Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:50 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

This issue with the misreporting of positive covid patient numbers due to using the wrong file type is one of those instances where the ignorant condemn innocent mistakes.
Yes, the use of .csv files has been shown to be wrong, but until you know that there is a limit to .csv file row numbers then you'd use them as.. well as you always used them until something like this happens.
I doubt that many of those righteous souls who'll be throwing stones have a clue what .csv files is and if they did I very much doubt if they were aware of their limitations.
What I'm trying to say is that this wasn't a government conspiracy to hide data.
I've been fooled by some of these restrictions on archaic file types in the past and you only get to know what they are when data exceeds what used to be a very sensible limitation, generated in many cases by the processor addressing capabilities.
Let's understand the problem and the cause before betraying ignorance.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Our village doctor has gone back to phone appointments only.We dont know why, but if you ring her and she can't help you you will get to see her or sent to hospital.So far all are needs have been meet by phone.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry he hasn't made a full recovery yet. Hoping he will get completely over any Cov symptoms in time.

Happy to know the rest of the family are doing so well.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
One thing that is hard to grasp about this Pandemic is how families are separated from the loved ones who become very ill. The rapid decline of people who get the illness is so strange, much different from pneumonia caused by flu which usually takes some weeks to get deathly.

No one is immune to the grief of it, one way or another it effects all of us, some more than others.
I'm sorry for your family at this time, it must be a shock to believe he was better and under care then became really ill so quickly.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Our village doctor has gone back to phone appointments only.We dont know why, but if you ring her and she can't help you you will get to see her or sent to hospital.So far all are needs have been meet by phone.

It sounds as if she doesn't want to contract Sarscov2, or believes the infection rate is so high as to be a risk for patients to regular office appointments. All of which is probably best really. Last year after lockdown our neighborhood physician who was elderly stopped seeing people and retired!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.