Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jun 30th 2020, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Weirdly, the US government can’t seem to come up with a standard format for dates. In general, they seem to be moving toward the standard format, DD/MM/YYYY, but the MM/DD/YYYY still seems more common. I filled out my public health contact tracing form wrong when I entered the country the other day. They wanted DD/MM, and I filled it out MM/DD.....
Unless forced to do so by specific instructions on a form, I avoid the ambiguous mm/dd and dd/mm variants, and use DD-MMM-YY, as in - 04-Jan-20, or 01-Apr-20. This, to me, is guaranteed to avoid confusion. Anyone writing 1/4/20, or 4/1/20, is just asking for confusion.

It is unfortunate that mm/dd/yy is the standard in the US, as it doesn't follow a 'natural' flow - logically, the numbers should flow from least to most, or most to least, significance. So I'd be just fine with yy/mm/dd - 20/06/30 ...
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Unless forced to do so by specific instructions on a form, I avoid the ambiguous mm/dd and dd/mm variants, and use DD-MMM-YY, as in - 04-Jan-20, or 01-Apr-20. This, to me, is guaranteed to avoid confusion. Anyone writing 1/4/20, or 4/1/20, is just asking for confusion.

It is unfortunate that mm/dd/yy is the standard in the US, as it doesn't follow a 'natural' flow - logically, the numbers should flow from least to most, or most to least, significance. So I'd be just fine with yy/mm/dd - 20/06/30 ...
I didn't realise that the US had yet to catch up with the millennium bug...... using 2 numbers for the year is just so passé

I thought it might come down to whether you think 4th of July or September 11th........ except both seem to be used. The day/month order is particularly confusing for those of us outside the USA who don't even think of putting the month number first. I deliberately try a number over 12 in the middle field, just to see what format it expects.... especially when it's a date where the numbers in either field would be less than 12. It's a bit like trying to use spreadsheet data from Europe, where the use of comma and decimal point is reversed.....

Then again, I still put a bar through zeros and sevens to distinguish them from Os and ones.... old habits die hard.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:57 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post

...most to least, significance. So I'd be just fine with yy/mm/dd - 20/06/30 ...

As are computers, less CPU needed when sorting.

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I didn't realise that the US had yet to catch up with the millennium bug...... using 2 numbers for the year is just so passé

I thought it might come down to whether you think 4th of July or September 11th........ except both seem to be used. The day/month order is particularly confusing for those of us outside the USA who don't even think of putting the month number first. I deliberately try a number over 12 in the middle field, just to see what format it expects.... especially when it's a date where the numbers in either field would be less than 12. It's a bit like trying to use spreadsheet data from Europe, where the use of comma and decimal point is reversed.....

Then again, I still put a bar through zeros and sevens to distinguish them from Os and ones.... old habits die hard.
The commas vs decimal point thing still trips me on occasion

All humans should be retrofitted (retrofut?) with an Epoch time reader (preferably 64 bit)

Ever so slightly tongue in cheek, here a bit of it. The numbers will scramble the brains of most, so there are potentially bad and probably ok parts highlit.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia, on the subject of Unix/Epoch time

Notable events in Unix time[edit]

Unix enthusiasts have a history of holding "time_t parties" (pronounced "time tea parties") to celebrate significant values of the Unix time number.[16][17] These are directly analogous to the new year celebrations that occur at the change of year in many calendars. As the use of Unix time has spread, so has the practice of celebrating its milestones. Usually it is time values that are round numbers in decimal that are celebrated, following the Unix convention of viewing
Code:
time_t
values in decimal. Among some groups round binary numbers are also celebrated, such as +230 which occurred at 13:37:04 UTC on Saturday, 10 January 2004.[[i]citation needed]

The events that these celebrate are typically described as "N seconds since the Unix epoch", but this is inaccurate; as discussed above, due to the handling of leap seconds in Unix time the number of seconds elapsed since the Unix epoch is slightly greater than the Unix time number for times later than the epoch.
  • At 18:36:57 UTC on Wednesday, 17 October 1973, the first appearance of the date in ISO 8601 format[a] (1973-10-17) within the digits of Unix time (119731017) took place.
  • At 01:46:40 UTC on Sunday, 9 September 2001, the Unix billennium (Unix time number 1000000000) was celebrated.[18] The name billennium is a portmanteau of billion and millennium.[19][20] Some programs which stored timestamps using a text representation encountered sorting errors, as in a text sort times after the turnover, starting with a 1 digit, erroneously sorted before earlier times starting with a 9 digit. Affected programs included the popular Usenet reader KNode and e-mail client KMail, part of the KDE desktop environment. Such bugs were generally cosmetic in nature and quickly fixed once problems became apparent. The problem also affected many Filtrix document-format filters provided with Linux versions of WordPerfect; a patch was created by the user community to solve this problem, since Corel no longer sold or supported that version of the program.[21]
  • At 23:31:30 UTC on Friday, 13 February 2009, the decimal representation of Unix time reached 1234567890 seconds.[22] Google celebrated this with a Google doodle.[23] Parties and other celebrations were held around the world, among various technical subcultures, to celebrate the 1234567890th second.[16][24]
  • At 03:33:20 UTC on Wednesday, 18 May 2033, the Unix time value will equal 2000000000 seconds.
  • At 06:28:16 UTC on Thursday, 7 February 2036, Network Time Protocol will loop over to the next epoch, as the 32-bit time stamp value used in NTP (unsigned, but based on 1 January 1900) will overflow. This date is close to the following date because the 136-year range of a 32-bit integer number of seconds is close to twice the 70-year offset between the two epochs.
  • At 03:14:08 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038, 32-bit versions of the Unix time stamp will cease to work, as it will overflow the largest value that can be held in a signed 32-bit number (7FFFFFFF16 or 2147483647). Before this moment, software using 32-bit time stamps will need to adopt a new convention for time stamps,[25] and file formats using 32-bit time stamps will need to be changed to support larger time stamps or a different epoch. If unchanged, the next second will be incorrectly interpreted as 20:45:52 Friday 13 December 1901 UTC. This is referred to as the Year 2038 problem.
  • At 05:20:00 UTC on Saturday, 24 January 2065, the Unix time value will equal 3000000000 seconds.
  • At 06:28:15 UTC on Sunday, 7 February 2106, the Unix time will reach FFFFFFFF16 or 4294967295 seconds which, for systems that hold the time on 32-bit unsigned integers, is the maximum attainable. For some of these systems, the next second will be incorrectly interpreted as 00:00:00 Thursday 1 January 1970 UTC. Other systems may experience an overflow error with unpredictable outcomes.[[i]citation needed]
  • At 15:30:08 UTC on Sunday, 4 December 292277026596,[26][27] 64-bit versions of the Unix time stamp cease to work, as it will overflow the largest value that can be held in a signed 64-bit number. This is nearly 22 times the estimated current age of the universe, which is 1.37×1010 years (13.7 billion).

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jun 30th 2020 at 6:15 pm. Reason: Missed a red bit
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:07 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
...most to least, significance. So I'd be just fine with yy/mm/dd - 20/06/30 ...

As are computers, less CPU needed when sorting.
Ah, the Magyar method!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I found the article linked below terrifying.

The top US infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci said the country could see 100,000 new coronavirus cases daily unless action is taken to reverse the epidemic.

Appearing before the Senate health, education, labor and pensions committee on Tuesday, Fauci warned that the US is “going in the wrong direction” over handling the coronavirus, and said the death toll “is going to be very disturbing”.

He appeared a day after the White House insisted the outbreak had been reduced to “embers” but the principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Anne Schuchat, insisted: “This is really the beginning.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erse-reopening
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:24 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post

The top US infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci said the country could see 100,000 new coronavirus cases daily unless action is taken to reverse the epidemic.

Appearing before the Senate health, education, labor and pensions committee on Tuesday, Fauci warned that the US is “going in the wrong direction” over handling the coronavirus, and said the death toll “is going to be very disturbing”.

He appeared a day after the White House insisted the outbreak had been reduced to “embers” but the principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Anne Schuchat, insisted: “This is really the beginning.”
It's getting out of control in the northern hemisphere tbh. I'm not going to put political stuff in here, but I'm very bothered with the way this is being handled.

And the attitudes of the 'Teflon Ravers'.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Will we still be here on the 20th June 2030?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:32 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Will we still be here on the 20th June 2030?
Stop that right now!

though, for effort.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Can get confusing in Canada, at least in my part of Canada.

Banks generally want YYYY/MM/DD

Canada Revenue (federal government) seems to like YYYY/MM/DD

British Columbia government is all over the place, sometimes forms are MM/DD/YYYY and sometimes they are DD/MM/YYYY depending on the provincial agency your dealing with.

ICBC uses YYYY-MM-DD for drivers license but MSP for enrolling in medical wants MM/DD/YYYY

The agency that deals with disability on the monthly report doesn't care how the date is written.

Canada is less consistent than the US with at least 3 acceptable and used formats depending on who/what company/government your dealing with.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto...from July 7th wearing face masks in all public indoor spaces is mandatory.

Neighbouring districts are hoping to do the same.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post

Put idiots in charge, expect idiotic results.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Only 41. Man in San Diego died of COVID. Just had a baby with his wife a couple weeks earlier.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/cor...virus/2356373/

Apparently the county my mom lives the ICU bed capacity has been hovering in the 98 to 99% range county wise.

The hospitals in her immediate area ICU are between 80 and 95% capacity but one hospital made a good point.

"While approximately 50% of our licensed beds are occupied, that is not an accurate reflection of where we truly are," said spokesperson.

"It’s important to understand the concept of 'staffed beds,' which is the hospital’s ability to provide nurses, respiratory therapists and other clinical staff to care for a patient in a bed. "

"This means (hospital name redacted by me) overall occupancy is closer to 100%, according to hospital spokesperson."

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jul 1st 2020 at 7:23 am.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:04 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Toronto...from July 7th wearing face masks in all public indoor spaces is mandatory.

Neighbouring districts are hoping to do the same.
Good on Toronto, and good on neighbouring districts.

This subject is still causing grief hereabouts, with provincial people overriding one local mayor due to "Feds Sticking Their Faces In".

Originally Posted by VRT English News
The Governor of East Flanders Province intends to quash with immediate effect a decision by the Mayor of Deinze, Jan Vermeulen, to make the wearing of face coverings in supermarkets in the city obligatory. The governor is acting at the insistence of interior minister De Crem. Wearing face coverings are strongly recommended while shopping but not compulsory.
Not quoting the whole article as it gets embroiled in politics.

But yesterday, OH and myself had our first trip out by car to 'other places' since lock-down. We were not gadding around, we had three specific target stores in my SIL's commune; first up was a hardware store for stuff for OH's ongoing project.

Chaos. Sign on door saying each customer must take a cart, I said I'll hang outside, you only want two items and you know what they are (and that they are in stock, we had already checked online). I saw loads of people going in with no cart, one person using a cart from the store next door, and the only people wearing masks were OH and myself.

Next stop a supermarket (same chain as we have in our commune, but this one's quieter) OH back within 5 minutes, no stock of what she was after, staff wearing masks and sanitising carts, she reckoned there was one other customer in store masked up.

Third stop, a small independent garden centre. Closed. One hour before published time (on website and on written notice on the gate). Bad luck on me...

Ok, head home... I said there's another XYZ supermarket on the way back, shall we? We did, OH asked me to go get her stuff, again there were masked staff sanitising trolleys, and they presented me with a pair of removable/reusable trolley handles. One other customer in the store was masked...

Why isn't the idea of "collective responsibility" getting through?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Good on Toronto, and good on neighbouring districts.

This subject is still causing grief hereabouts, with provincial people overriding one local mayor due to "Feds Sticking Their Faces In".

Not quoting the whole article as it gets embroiled in politics.

But yesterday, OH and myself had our first trip out by car to 'other places' since lock-down. We were not gadding around, we had three specific target stores in my SIL's commune; first up was a hardware store for stuff for OH's ongoing project.

Chaos. Sign on door saying each customer must take a cart, I said I'll hang outside, you only want two items and you know what they are (and that they are in stock, we had already checked online). I saw loads of people going in with no cart, one person using a cart from the store next door, and the only people wearing masks were OH and myself.

Next stop a supermarket (same chain as we have in our commune, but this one's quieter) OH back within 5 minutes, no stock of what she was after, staff wearing masks and sanitising carts, she reckoned there was one other customer in store masked up.

Third stop, a small independent garden centre. Closed. One hour before published time (on website and on written notice on the gate). Bad luck on me...

Ok, head home... I said there's another XYZ supermarket on the way back, shall we? We did, OH asked me to go get her stuff, again there were masked staff sanitising trolleys, and they presented me with a pair of removable/reusable trolley handles. One other customer in the store was masked...

Why isn't the idea of "collective responsibility" getting through?
I dithered between putting this here or on the BLM thread, but it ended up here with respect to the collective responsibility thing. People seem to have trouble understanding, empathising, and grasping the reality of the scope of the problem.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...le-stop-caring
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:48 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

From another thread. The principle is not limited to Americans, obviously.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jul 1st 2020 at 3:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.