Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default CORONAVIRUS PART II

This thread is for comments about the Coronavirus ONLY. Please do not make political posts in this thread. All political posts will be deleted.

here is the link to the original thread...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take.../#post12830197

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 31st 2020 at 10:41 am. Reason: Insert link
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
This thread is for comments about the Coronavirus ONLY. Please do not make political posts in this thread. All political posts will be deleted.
What about politicians with the coronavirus?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Alianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond repute

We were skyeping an old friend who is a doctor in NZ and she made the point that the likely hood of surviving and recovering from Covid-19 is still high statistically. However, less is said of the almost inevitable lung damage that would ensue, the more severe the older we are. So though it's statistically probable we (60 and 61) would survive the virus, the quality of life could well be very compromised. It's proof if any were needed that doing everything possible to avoid getting the virus is the best course. Let alone putting it off until there are enough ventilators and hopefully a vaccine in the future. Now the most dangerous thing we do is me going to the supermarket. Even as someone who worked making things in various environments I used to be firmly in the 'health and safety gone mad' camp. Now, when I go to the supermarket, I wear rubber gloves throughout. When I get back to the car I take the gloves off and wash my hands. When I get home we leave the bags unpacked for at least 12 hours (or sanitise anything we need sooner) and I wash my hands again. It honestly goes against the grain with me. I've worked with dangerous chemicals with scant thought of PPE. But this scares me.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:19 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Has America started taking it seriously now there's a sequel?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:34 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Has America started taking it seriously now there's a sequel?
Yes and no. Literally.

New York has been very hard hit - and yet crowds turned out to watch the hospital ship sail in the other day. Sometimes you have to wonder.

If Andrew Cuomo survives, he is improving his political chances though.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:38 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes and no. Literally.

New York has been very hard hit - and yet crowds turned out to watch the hospital ship sail in the other day. Sometimes you have to wonder.

If Andrew Cuomo survives, he is improving his political chances though.
New York is mind blowing, the numbers are unreal.

Had a call with a German colleague this afternoon, talked all things corona before work stuff...."No, we don't go out. We get food and we stay home"..."we have good medical facilities, almost like Canada. We don't just die from this and we want to protect each other like the government advised"

It was very typically German but **** me, they're appearing to do what the heck they're told a lot better than some countries.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:46 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received news that my Godson's father is in intensive care in London.

He was brought up in Angola and was a comando during the colonial war there and brought his family to Portugal after independence.
He worked hard for his family, moving to the UK and eventually opening a Cafe.
His son and daughter moved here as children and have settled and have their own kids here.
My Godson has left his own family to be with his mother in Central London.
They can only speak to the hospital once a day (and, obviously, can't visit), but his father is "stable".

SWMBO spoke to them last week and all was OK, this has come as a shock.

Last edited by macliam; Mar 31st 2020 at 11:48 am.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
What about politicians with the coronavirus?
You're cruising for a bruising!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I have just received news that my Godson's father is in intensive care in London.

He was brought up in Angola and was a comando during the colonial war there and brought his family to Portugal after independence.
His son and daughter moved here as chilkdren and have settled and have their own kids here.
They can only speak to the hospital once a day (and, obviously, can't visit), but his father is "stable".

Sorry to hear this. For people who get the nasty version, it does seem to come on very quickly. Here's hoping for the best.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

His son and daughter moved here as chilkdren and have settled and have their own kids here.

I'm so sorry to hear this Macliam
Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

He and his wife were Merengue champions in Angola.
To see them on the dancefloor was a sight to behold.
The thought that I might never see them dance again is just breaking me up.

Last edited by macliam; Mar 31st 2020 at 12:25 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have blood tests to do soon. The hospital closed all the ambulatory clinics a couple of weeks ago (I had an appointment cancelled) and the blood clinic is in the same part, right next to an entrance to the building.

I've emailed and they are still doing blood work but entry is now through the main entrance to the hospital with a screening questionnaire and hand-washing.

Of course there will be far fewer entering than is usual what with highly restricted visiting, clinics closed and people discouraged from gong in just to use the Tim Hortons coffee shop, as people do.

It's just routine/regular - albeit includes kidney function (mine's reduced) monitoring so in that respect it's quite important.

I'm a little unsure of the wisdom of directing everyone to one entrance only, the potential bottleneck there, the difficulty with the physical distancing required and then the walk along a long corridor which while not particularly narrow would involve people going in both directions. Or maybe at least exiting from the building can be through that other door.

My requisition form just says April so I may go tomorrow (the first). The Province 'numbers' have tripled in the last week so who knows what they might be later.

It just seems an unnecessary risk for me (62) with diabetes and then to return home to three others, including 81 year old MIL.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I have blood tests to do soon. The hospital closed all the ambulatory clinics a couple of weeks ago (I had an appointment cancelled) and the blood clinic is in the same part, right next to an entrance to the building.

I've emailed and they are still doing blood work but entry is now through the main entrance to the hospital with a screening questionnaire and hand-washing.

Of course there will be far fewer entering than is usual what with highly restricted visiting, clinics closed and people discouraged from gong in just to use the Tim Hortons coffee shop, as people do.

It's just routine/regular - albeit includes kidney function (mine's reduced) monitoring so in that respect it's quite important.

I'm a little unsure of the wisdom of directing everyone to one entrance only, the potential bottleneck there, the difficulty with the physical distancing required and then the walk along a long corridor which while not particularly narrow would involve people going in both directions. Or maybe at least exiting from the building can be through that other door.

My requisition form just says April so I may go tomorrow (the first). The Province 'numbers' have tripled in the last week so who knows what they might be later.

It just seems an unnecessary risk for me (62) with diabetes and then to return home to three others, including 81 year old MIL.
A friend with stage 4 pancreatic cancer posed the same issue the other day. She was due to go in for Chemo. We all told her we were sure the cleanliness/hygiene was probably the best she'd be able to find and she'd be fine. I figure they've worked out the best way to manage the situation. Do you have a mask you can use and then straight home, shower, wash clothes etc before mixing with rest of the family? Sounds like overkill but whatever works for a stress free life.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:19 pm
Concierge

He and his wife were Merengue champions in Angola.
To see them on the dancefloor was a sight to behold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIEK0ad9Y7c
The thought that I might never see them dance again is just breaking me up.
Being without your wife wouldn't be helping either, I really do feel for you I did find it somewhat encouraging though that your friend's condition was listed as stable, although I know that 'stable' in ICU is still a huge worry. Bugger all you can do except hope mate, and maybe give SWMBO a call?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

MP has some good suggestions, anything that will make you feel more comfortable is worth it. You need to keep on top of your health so as you said, it's important that you go. Let us know how it goes.

My sisters and I had persuaded Mum to cancel her skin clinic appointment for tomorrow, they found a squamous cell carcinoma (very slow growing things) on her face last week and gave her a 6 week course of cream for it. The appointment was only to check that she was putting the cream on the right place, which is fair enough as she's very sight-impaired. But she has four daughters and we're rotating our visits so there's one of us visiting her every day, the cream's hitting the right spot because we watch her put it on.

When she rang to cancel this morning they persuaded her to come in after all. An 86 year old scheduled for a mastectomy in 3 weeks does not need to be exposing herself to ANY possible illness unless absolutely necessary, and this isn't. I'm taking her so I'm going to have a word.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 31st 2020 at 1:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.