Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Cruises are also awful for the environment.

I have no interest in typical cruise, but I would if I won the lotto take the ocean liner across the Atlantic, just to experience crossing the ocean by ship.
When we returned to the UK in 1979, we travelled New York to London on the Soviet liner the Mikhail Lermontov. Little did we know when we set out, but it was the end of an era - the USSR invaded Afghanistan during our Atlantic passage, and the US sanctions included canceling that route, so ours was the last voyage. Then a couple of years later, the Mikhail Lermontov sank in an accident, off New Zealand I believe.

It was an old fashioned and not at all luxurious ship. Communal bathrooms, for instance, and the meals were pretty basic, and served at long tables. But yeah it was nice to be in the middle of the ocean for several days, with a couple of excellent bars and a good library. In fact I stole three or four books (nice classic Progress Publishing editions) which I still have. In the end I saved those books from a watery grave.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
When we returned to the UK in 1979, we travelled New York to London on the Soviet liner the Mikhail Lermontov. Little did we know when we set out, but it was the end of an era - the USSR invaded Afghanistan during our Atlantic passage, and the US sanctions included canceling that route, so ours was the last voyage. Then a couple of years later, the Mikhail Lermontov sank in an accident, off New Zealand I believe.

It was an old fashioned and not at all luxurious ship. Communal bathrooms, for instance, and the meals were pretty basic, and served at long tables. But yeah it was nice to be in the middle of the ocean for several days, with a couple of excellent bars and a good library. In fact I stole three or four books (nice classic Progress Publishing editions) which I still have. In the end I saved those books from a watery grave.

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/the-la...ail-lermontov/
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:18 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Probably. But for the five or so days it takes to cross the Atlantic I would do it just for the experience. I don't want to live in the wilderness either, but being out in it for a few days does change how you see things.
Just don't ever be tempted to tack a Pacific crossing straight onto the back of an Atlantic one.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:19 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Just don't ever be tempted to tack a Pacific crossing onto the back of an Atlantic one.
Steady on, Phineas.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't ever be tempted to tack a Pacific crossing straight onto the back of an Atlantic one.

Rounding the Horn?

No thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:47 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We all have to go some time. Might as well be on holiday.
TheOriginalMrDreamy carked it on holiday. It was a bleeding nightmare (helped by very, very good travel insurance, thank you American Express) but at least he had the decency to wait til the last day. Imagine how annoying it would have been if it had been at the beginning??
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:49 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
TheOriginalMrDreamy carked it on holiday. It was a bleeding nightmare (helped by very, very good travel insurance, thank you American Express) but at least he had the decency to wait til the last day. Imagine how annoying it would have been if it had been at the beginning??
Sorry to hear about that, but I'm not going to lie, the way you phrased that last part gave me a larf.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:56 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Sorry to hear about that, but I'm not going to lie, the way you phrased that last part gave me a larf.
Ha, obviously I loved TOMD with all my heart, but he was an awkward git, and I'm sure if he'd thought of it he'd have gone at the beginning, just to piss me off
It's bad enough that he died so I couldn't have a holiday with my girlfriends, after he'd promised me one when he went on a skiing trip with his mates earlier that year. Inconsiderate.

(You really, really, have to laugh.. and it was almost 24 years ago. As it was, we had an amazing family holiday with the kids and his mum and dad, so there's that too.)
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:57 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Ha, obviously I loved TOMD with all my heart, but he was an awkward git, and I'm sure if he'd thought of it he'd have gone at the beginning, just to piss me off
It's bad enough that he died so I couldn't have a holiday with my girlfriends, after he'd promised me one when he went on a skiing trip with his mates earlier that year. Inconsiderate.

(You really, really, have to laugh.. and it was almost 24 years ago. As it was, we had an amazing family holiday with the kids and his mum and dad, so there's that too.)
I get it, you do have to laugh and I'm sure he would have laughed right along with you if given the chance.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 10:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter;
Thanks, very interesting article.

Funny how it keeps saying the liner was luxurious etc. No way was it remotely luxurious. I mean it was perfectly ok and comfortable, but more like a troopship. I can’t believe the shipping line significantly upgraded it after I was on it, for instance, the cabins weren’t en-suite and I’m sure they didn’t upgrade them all to en-suite.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

done both several times, but separately, not together.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 8:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Probably. But for the five or so days it takes to cross the Atlantic I would do it just for the experience. I don't want to live in the wilderness either, but being out in it for a few days does change how you see things.
I just nip down to the closest beach for that. Sit on a dune, look at the ocean and horizon and ponder. Clears my head a treat.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I just nip down to the closest beach for that. Sit on a dune, look at the ocean and horizon and ponder. Clears my head a treat.
Can we have a picture of that view please?
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Interviews with people in the middle of the crisis and why the numbers look a bit odd given what we read about the covid19 virus:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51440129
Old Feb 15th 2020, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

The first death in Europe happened here in France yesterday.
He was 80 years old and had been here holidaying with his daughter of 50 years, both had the virus and she is still in hospital..They arrived 16 January in France.

Last edited by tumbleweedly; Feb 15th 2020 at 10:49 pm. Reason: corrected

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.