Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 17th 2020, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Westjet in Canada is cutting all international and trans border flights in the coming days, and domestic schedule will be cut 50%.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Which part of a 'well-regulated militia' do these people belong to?
Dear Mods ... in addition to (trying to) keep this thread non-political, can you also please try to keep discussion of guns and amendments out of it? I'm already struggling to keep up with this thread and if we turn it into a(nother) debate on guns, I'll never get through it!
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Good information. Thank you.

On the toilet paper frenzy .... if people are being told they may have to self-quarantine for 2 weeks, and say they have a family of four or so, they're going to need more toilet paper than they normally would. I am rarely home so if I am really going to have to stay in for two weeks .... I might actually use 4 to 5 times as much toilet paper. Same for food, if you and your family only eat one meal at home per day and suddenly you are eating all meals, beverages, snacks etc .... you're going to need more food in the event of quarantine. As a person who did not panic buy, now I wish I would have. I have around a week's worth of toilet paper and there is none on shelves. No paper towels or dish washing liquid either. *sigh*
This morning I went to a local Target store. There were workers everywhere stocking shelves, and they had TP (I refuse to call it TT ), paper towels, even a few wipes. No alcohol-based hand sanitizer, though. I didn't buy any TP as I have a few months supply, but did buy a couple of paper towel rolls (sign said limit 2 per customer, not that it seemed to be enforced). Anyway, looks like supplies are coming through. I later passed by my regular grocery store, and there was plenty of fruit / veg on offer. I also got two cartons of fresh milk (also limited purchase). I'm now trying to think what else I might have forgotten ... I have visions of running out of something really silly and cursing myself!

EDIT TO ADD: How does 'Amazon Fresh' work? I was looking to buy some cleaning supplies today on Amazon, and ended up with a separate 'cart' labeled 'fresh'. They wanted me to add more stuff to get free delivery, so I kept adding things I figured I could use, and when I finally reached the dollar limit for free delivery, the one item I really wanted had become unavailable! But I noticed fresh meat, fresh fruit, etc ... so are they doing their own grocery deliveries at this point? Are they fronting Whole Foods Market produce? I saw stuff on there that wasn't typical of Whole Foods though! Doe they use their own people for delivery? I've never seen it before.

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 17th 2020 at 7:14 am.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
... you need to wash your hands under HOT water for 20 seconds ...

Is it just my house that requires me to run the hot water tap for what seems like a lifetime before the water gets hot? I virtually never bother waiting for it to get hot .. I have a steaming hot water dispenser that 'came with the house' but it's not working. Maybe I need to get it working! Of course that is way TOO hot .. but I guess I could run the water into a bowl and wash my hands there ... tonight's project ...
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Good question. Seems to me, for people actually living alone, they can be more relaxed about this, since the only human contamination in the house is from them.
Yeah, I'm living alone at the mo, and I wash my hands when I come in the door and that's it. I can't quite see any point in washing hands all the time, or scrubbing surfaces, when there's no one else to give anything to / pick anything up from!
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:39 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
So what happens if you have a family of 5 versus a family of 1? Rationing is all well and good so long as household size is taken in to account.
You start picking your favourite children.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
If Apple makes any, they won't work properly unless all the other kit attached to them is also made by Apple. Just so you can all plan ahead.
Will look sick though.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
If the retreat is responsible & worth its salt it should be shutting itself and refunding.
Waiting to hear on this as we speak. Flights changed, she's 'lost' about 700 quids worth of flight but staying here an extra couple of days so we're both happy with that result.....unless Dubai goes into lockdown which is heavily rumoured.

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
This whole thing is surreal. It's as if reality is still reality but it's getting warped at warp speed. It's an interesting time to be alive.
We were saying the same yesterday. It's actually spooky.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:42 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner/Disinfectant no idea if its available in the US, never heard of it until today.

https://www.spraynine.com/product/sp...8/?cat_refer=6
Check out the Safety Data Sheet as well - it's somewhat caustic (do not get on skin, do not inhale, etc) -must be quite powerful .. good find!

- Spray Nine® COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Water
100*ETHOXYLATED C9-C11 ALCOHOLS68439-46-31 - 5*
DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL MONONBUTYL ETHER29911-28-21 - 5*
https://2xdmz41ee1hc1qdhmh35hx4a-wpe...lish/26832.pdf
Old Mar 17th 2020, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

ER doctor in Seattle in the ICU from this virus, in his 40's.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...cal-condition/
Old Mar 17th 2020, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Check out the Safety Data Sheet as well - it's somewhat caustic (do not get on skin, do not inhale, etc) -must be quite powerful .. good find!

https://2xdmz41ee1hc1qdhmh35hx4a-wpe...lish/26832.pdf
I always wear gloves even with Lysol or bleach, don't want cleaning chemicals my skin. It seems to be a one stop shop cleaner, but says can be used on counters and such, not sure where Canadian Tire got its stockpile but my local store has a ton, others in the area have less, but guess either people are over looking this, or Canadian Tire was able to source it quickly.

Old Mar 17th 2020, 8:39 am
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

So, the UK govt has now changed its stance and advice - without admitting it was previously wrong, based on research from Imperial College, London.
Now the folly of nailing the population onto one, top-down-govt-knows-best committee generated plan, in dealing with the new or unknown is exposed. You couldn't make it up.
Not that the UK alone maintains disconnected leadership from its population. Look at the US.........
Old Mar 17th 2020, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The.Ghost.of... View Post
So, the UK govt has now changed its stance and advice - without admitting it was previously wrong, based on research from Imperial College, London.
Now the folly of nailing the population onto one, top-down-govt-knows-best committee generated plan, in dealing with the new or unknown is exposed. You couldn't make it up.
Not that the UK alone maintains disconnected leadership from its population. Look at the US.........

Not really the ramping up of various measures was made clear to us a couple weeks ago and we would be told which ones would apply and when based on the increase in the number of cases.

This is not the time for your politics.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 9:25 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I rarely use bleach other than on cat litter trays. The smell kick starts a migraine if I use it more than once in a diluted version. Can't bear the stuff. Everything gets cleaned with either washing up liquid and water or a mix of vinegar and bicarb or occasionally Borax.
Yup. Surely, detergent alone kills this virus - doesn’t it? I use detergent all the time, for all cleaning, with just a glug of bleach, once in a while, for high risk areas, toilet for instance. When I say bleach, I mean a product containing sodium hypochlorite and sodium laureth sulfate. I doubt if I spend more than £1 a year in bleach. (Significantly more in the US, my wife is in charge of cleaning supplies there. )
Old Mar 17th 2020, 9:30 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The.Ghost.of... View Post
They weren't previously wrong.....we all knew these measures were coming, it was a case of timing and when to action according to the growth in numbers, epidemiology and the circumstances that are individual to the UK.

Old Mar 17th 2020, 9:38 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Not really the ramping up of various measures was made clear to us a couple weeks ago and we would be told which ones would apply and when based on the increase in the number of cases.

This is not the time for your politics.
Thank you. I strongly agree. This morning, on Radio 4, BBC person asked epidemiologist interviewee, “So would you say this is a dramatic u-turn...?” The guy replied ... (paraphrasing) “I’m not getting into that. This is a rapidly evolving situation. New data and reports become available every day. It’s appropriate that government actions and advice will evolve and change.”
Old Mar 17th 2020, 9:43 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
They weren't previously wrong.....we all knew these measures were coming, it was a case of timing and when to action according to the growth in numbers, epidemiology and the circumstances that are individual to the UK.
They certainly had me fooled!

I thought they were doing a very convincing impression of setting out on a completely different course from that followed by other countries (and advice given by the WHO) and have now done a quite astonishing Uey.

Good to know it was all part of the original plan. I should have known they couldn't possibly have been going to screw up that badly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.