Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate-change predictions

Climate-change predictions

Old Oct 20th 2019, 10:31 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate-change predictions

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
the problem being too many people wanting too good a life.
I agree with this too. Also too many people wanting an easy convenient good life.

Can we all just please stop with the plastic bits and pieces. It isn't that hard to do.
My lovely albatross colony and its chicks are under duress over this. So are the penguins.

A young albatross will regurgitate before fledging. For half of those chicks this season their bolus contained plastic bits unwittingly fed to them by the parents. It should mostly be squid beak etc.
One contained a small part of a plastic scoop. One that is found in milk formula products. The chick was lucky to live and be undamaged by that.

It is a real issue and one that is killing our seabirds.

Old Oct 20th 2019, 11:47 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Not convinced that clambering on to the top of tube trains during Rush Hour actually achieves anything.
Absolutely.
Chaining oneself to railings; standing in front of a tank armed only with a shopping bag; poll tax protests; hunger strikes; chucking Tea into the harbour;....

All of those things a complete waste of time.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Absolutely.
Chaining oneself to railings; standing in front of a tank armed only with a shopping bag; poll tax protests; hunger strikes; chucking Tea into the harbour;....

All of those things a complete waste of time.
You forgot marching through the East End wearing Black Shirts.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
There's nothing the UK can do to mitigate it, all they can do is prepare for what is going to happen.

Tragedy of the commons.
So every government, every organisation, every person should just stop trying and just give up? Ok then.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
So every government, every organisation, every person should just stop trying and just give up? Ok then.
​​​​​​
i cut down 100 or so trees last week, we all do our bit.

But then I do not use Private Jets.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:45 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
i cut down 100 or so trees last week, we all do our bit.
Rather depends on why TBH.

But then I do not use Private Jets.
Private jets are a bit of a red herring here. They are held up to detract away from the grass roots of the issues the planet faces.

How you buy your food and where for instance may well have more impact .

Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Rather depends on why TBH.

Private jets are a bit of a red herring here. They are held up to detract away from the grass roots of the issues the planet faces.

How you buy your food and where for instance may well have more impact .
Well it gets cold and I burn wood to heat, actually just went to the Supermarket. Nearest town, not the best selection.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:31 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Well it gets cold and I burn wood to heat, actually just went to the Supermarket. Nearest town, not the best selection.
What type of wood?
How old were the trees?
Is that panting on a 1/4 acre specifically for harvesting?

I agree about choices in supermarkets. We have the same here. It is possible to be careful in picking what products. ( No palm oil) To not use plastic bags. To try and source protein without plastic or polystyrene.
If you have land I expect you grow veg and fruit. We do.

Do you have local stores at all? Can you have hens? Do people hunt ?

Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mainly Aspen, probably 30 years? I look for dead standing and no these were not all for me, we shared.

This is not clear cutting, a win win as it is a camping site near me and they need them gone.

There is one small supermarket 10 miles away otherwise you are looking at 30 miles for a name, and no there is no real choice.

The growing season here is about 3 months and it is semi arid.

Should have been out hunting today but blowing a gale and cold.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:53 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Mainly Aspen, probably 30 years? I look for dead standing and no these were not all for me, we shared.

This is not clear cutting, a win win as it is a camping site near me and they need them gone.

There is one small supermarket 10 miles away otherwise you are looking at 30 miles for a name, and no there is no real choice.

The growing season here is about 3 months and it is semi arid.

Should have been out hunting today but blowing a gale and cold.
Soz. I looked at my post and it sounded more like cross questioning. I was more interested.

Semi arid is a bit poop for a growing season. What can you grow ? Is water an issue? I expect it is.
Here water is becoming much more of an issue all round than it was 10/15 years ago. We have several large water tanks and are thinking of another .

Here we have pine forestry. People will plant a few gum to harvest. We haven't done this ( probably should have ten years ago . Just one or two) but when the opportunity comes up to help clearance at a local recreational site we'll get in there with the chainsaw & cart away to store. Usually a bit of a group effort.

Possible here to hunt for rabbit, goat, deer, pig .

No choice is tough although you get used to it. I see more choice now but not always in a good way.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't buy meat much these days as its expensive, but sometimes we do, but the stores make it so hard to avoid plastic and Styrofoam, all the meat comes pre-packaged at our local store, already wrapped, no butcher/meat counter. Stores really need to start doing their part.

There is a butcher not far from us and they wrap meat for the most part in paper, but they charge high premium prices as they cater to the hipster crowd who will over pay for things.

I find stores catering to low income = lots of packaged food in plastic and stores catering to a more upscale customer base seem to have less packaged in plastic.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
What type of wood?
How old were the trees?
Is that panting on a 1/4 acre specifically for harvesting?

I agree about choices in supermarkets. We have the same here. It is possible to be careful in picking what products. ( No palm oil) To not use plastic bags. To try and source protein without plastic or polystyrene.
If you have land I expect you grow veg and fruit. We do.

Do you have local stores at all? Can you have hens? Do people hunt ?
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Historically grass and root vegetables, now with a Greenhouse you have other options, still wonder lf MJ is not the largest crop.

Colorado is a first in time first in use State for water, a lot of the old Ranches had historical rights they sold to the Cities, worth more than the land.

Elk and Deer are the big ones, there are Antelope and Bear as well. There a lot of dead wood around here, hundreds of square miles of it, a lot on Federal land, I assume a major fire will eventually clear it.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:29 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot marching through the East End wearing Black Shirts.

It worked quite well in Germany, back in the day.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 7:11 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
We don't buy meat much these days as its expensive, but sometimes we do, but the stores make it so hard to avoid plastic and Styrofoam, all the meat comes pre-packaged at our local store, already wrapped, no butcher/meat counter. Stores really need to start doing their part.
Totally agree. They do.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 7:19 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

now with a Greenhouse you have other options,
How does that work for you ? I have a renovated greenhouse but find it gets far too hot because of the sunlight.
Root veg sounds like they may be OK with care. Not sure what MJ is unless you mean weed. That happens here out in the bush. Police use copters to raze it.

Elk and Deer are the big ones, there are Antelope and Bear as well.
What is hunted here are non-indigenous mammals really, although deer are farmed. There are tahr out there too. They seem to make good burgers. If you have a boar and want sausages etc it is best to also have a goat in the mix. Surprising what you learn.

I thought bears were protected . What species of bear then.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.