Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Circumcision

Circumcision

Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Circumcision

Deep breath... I don't want opinions. Plenty of that on webland.

Simply put, if you've had a boy born in the last 10 years or so, has he ever had any problems / bullying / ridicule / whatever at school for being uncut in the US?

I'm aware that circumcision is on a downward trend in the US; just wondering whether it's at the point where nobody takes much notice any more either way. No, it won't influence me or cause me to start booking appointments, but just want to be prepared for talks with him either way.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Circumcision

You don't want an opinion, but you are going to get mine anyway

Both male and female circumcision for non-medical reasons is genital mutilation.

None of my American friends with boys or girls under 5 yrs old have been purposefully mutilated. (I don't know people with older kids.)
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

My son lived with us in the US from aged 10 through to 12 (we moved back to the UK in 2010).

He is not circumcised and had no problems with any kind of ridicule or bullying.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

just came across this a day after my 12 yo said he & mates had been discussing it at school following a prog about it within the Jewish community- have to say that he says they were all horrified to think we "might do that to us" without their express request/permission...& he wanted to know why parents are allowed to do this to their children.

The religious argument didn't cut any ice , nor the hygiene one. They believe they're healthier uncut. I'm interested in the comment though that circumcision is "on a downward trend".....what's the thinking behind this?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Seems to be THE topic of the minute. Ricki Lake did a whole show about it yesterday and I wake up this morning to the local radio station discussing it as well. The radio presenters really shocked me with the opinion that if you haven't been done you are dirty!!

My son was 'snipped' for medical reasons at age 7, two weeks before we left the UK. If was the worst experience of his and my life. The surgeon in the UK didn't want to do it (wanted to wait longer) but once I mentioned moving to US he changed his mind, as in his opinion - it would make him normal with his peers anyway.

If we hadn't had a medical reason for it, I would NOT have even considered it.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:45 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
None of my American friends with boys or girls under 5 yrs old have been purposefully mutilated. (I don't know people with older kids.)
What, none have had their kids ears pierced?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

DS wasn't circumcized, I made sure they knew before he was born that he wasn't going to be. I did get a few 'are you sure?'s from the doctors - but when I asked the pediatrician she said it was dying out and current rates are around 50/50 - and we live in a fairly Jewish area. He's only 1yo so a bit early to say if he gets picked on for it.

I will never understand the 'unclean' argument - why don't people feel that they can just teach their sons to wash it!?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Picked on for it? Really??? I was genuinely surprised to read this thread.

I can only begin to think of the responses I would give if anyone who had this done to them tried to take the piss out of me for having the willy I was born with.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:47 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
What, none have had their kids ears pierced?
I thought you were logical. While both can be called mutilation, those are two totally different things, one is punching a hole in an appendage that appears to have no other use, and the other cutting a lump off an a useful appendage with no good reason.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:52 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Straight from 'the dude (almost 14)' "WTH mum we don't sit around all day discussing our junk and if anyone said anything in the locker room they would get s#1t for looking at someone else's junk"

After a frank discussion in the car on the way to school this morning he decided that a) his dad is 43 and he is almost 14 and neither have had any problems from being 'unclean' - you simply wash your willy b) for the religious - if you are made in gods image did you come with instructions for alterations c) eyelids have a purpose and therefore so does foreskin d) he would sue me had I done this to him when he was a baby.

Which got me thinking - has anyone sued their parents for circumcising them and a quick google search says yes. So I would be careful what you choose to do to your child without their consent! I am surprised doctors are still performing the surgery for this very reason.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My son has mentioned he is in the minority but it hasn't been the cause of any problems.

Horrible practice.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

DS was 5 when we moved here (now 17) and has never had a problem with not being circumcised.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have older boys and turns out only about half of their friends were circ'ed. I did foster care for 10 years lots of baby and toddler boys came and went from the house and most were not circ'ed Once MediCal stopped paying for it, most of the babies born on state ins stopped getting done.
Oh and yes they would get a lot of grief if they stood about looking at each others junk in the locker rooms
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
Straight from 'the dude (almost 14)' "WTH mum we don't sit around all day discussing our junk and if anyone said anything in the locker room they would get s#1t for looking at someone else's junk
I love that response!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
I have older boys and turns out only about half of their friends were circ'ed. I did foster care for 10 years lots of baby and toddler boys came and went from the house and most were not circ'ed Once MediCal stopped paying for it, most of the babies born on state ins stopped getting done.
Oh and yes they would get a lot of grief if they stood about looking at each others junk in the locker rooms
It's weird though, it is sometimes given as a reason for getting it done.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.