Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit changes

Brexit changes

Old Jan 6th 2021, 9:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Brexit

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
A better tile for this thread would be "The Miserable Whingers Thred"
No Fred, Brexit is going to mean huge changes for British people living in EU countries, and for any sort of trade between them, and for people visiting EU countries, so it's important that people can give that information so that others don't get caught out by them, however the thread will deteriorate if people like you come here whinging about the thread.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
A better tile for this thread would be "The Miserable Whingers Thred"
Is that how you describe the mother of that 9 year old boy?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Ireland facing food supply disruption over Brexit, MPs told
Northern Ireland is facing disruptions to its food supply because suppliers in Britain are unaware of the Brexit-related paperwork needed to send goods to the region, business leaders have said. Trucks are arriving at GB ports with incorrect or absent documentation that delays their passage across the Irish Sea, they told MPs on Wednesday. Many operators in Great Britain seemed unaware that since 11pm on New Year’s Eve Northern Ireland was applying EU customs rules at its ports
Miserable whingers!
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:52 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Oh. Had not seen it.

Here's a started actuality for ten...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...a-new-big-bang
Thanks for the link. I generally take Bloomberg's publicly posted stuff with a pinch of salt, but at least they put some "maybes" in, so it's not quite up to Daily Mail "standards" .

Originally Posted by Bloomberg
On Monday, the first trading day of 2021, public data on exchanges pointed to London having lost almost 45% of the volume of stock that would have gone through the City at the end of last year. About 6.3 billion euros ($7.7 billion) of shares that would have traded on London-based platforms changed hands in the EU, according to data compiled by Cboe Global Markets Inc., which now handles some of those exchanges from Amsterdam.
That, to me, is not very informative in terms of fact.

Then again, I'm not a bread-head, so maybe it's in code.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:15 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post

45%

About 6.3 billion euros ($7.7 billion)
That, to me, is not very informative in terms of fact.

Then again, I'm not a bread-head, so maybe it's in code.
In simple maths, London would have traded 14 million euros of business during the stated period. 6.3 million of this was traded in European markets instead, leaving London with around 7.7 million of euro trading instead (all figures in euros).

And profit is made through volume of trades. A penny per euro for example makes 140,000 for the broker or clearing company. That number is a random guess.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:40 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
In simple maths, London would have traded 14 million euros of business during the stated period. 6.3 million of this was traded in European markets instead, leaving London with around 7.7 million of euro trading instead (all figures in euros).

And profit is made through volume of trades. A penny per euro for example makes 140,000 for the broker or clearing company. That number is a random guess.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my post

Ok, fine, I see the numbers, I can do the maths, but it was the presentation of it that I was kicking at.

As in "On Monday, the first trading day of 2021", "the volume of stock that would have gone through the City at the end of last year".

First trading day in 2021 vs a conditional "would have gone through the City at the end of last year".

Backed with a reference to Amsterdam, leaving Frankfurt, Paris, Zurich, Madrid et al out of it.

Not exactly tight reporting in my mind.

Typically the markets will shift somewhat after any Bank holiday trading lull, it's too soon to see if there's the start of a trend on this one.

I'm wary of this style of reporting.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:46 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Has this thread been merged with another (recently)?

Bucksboy...I've forgotten, what Brexit camp are you in ?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:09 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my post

Ok, fine, I see the numbers, I can do the maths, but it was the presentation of it that I was kicking at.

As in "On Monday, the first trading day of 2021", "the volume of stock that would have gone through the City at the end of last year".

First trading day in 2021 vs a conditional "would have gone through the City at the end of last year".

Backed with a reference to Amsterdam, leaving Frankfurt, Paris, Zurich, Madrid et al out of it.

Not exactly tight reporting in my mind.

Typically the markets will shift somewhat after any Bank holiday trading lull, it's too soon to see if there's the start of a trend on this one.

I'm wary of this style of reporting.
“It’s been an extraordinary day. Shifting liquidity is one of the hardest things to do. It’s not ‘Big Bang’ — it’s ‘Bang and It’s Gone’.

https://www.ft.com/content/a434b756-...0-ef2d42ea8d55
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:14 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
“It’s been an extraordinary day. Shifting liquidity is one of the hardest things to do. It’s not ‘Big Bang’ — it’s ‘Bang and It’s Gone’.

https://www.ft.com/content/a434b756-...0-ef2d42ea8d55
Indeed, it's one the many confirmations that in the real world, having your cake and eating it too, just doesn't fly. Only pigs do that, as Boris well knows.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:18 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, it's one the many confirmations that in the real world, having your cake and eating it too, just doesn't fly. Only pigs do that, as Boris well knows.
Nah, it's the EU punishing us
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:21 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Post Brexit thread's been merged in.

Oooh, are we going camping?

Bagsies I'm in the Miserable Whingers' tent.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:22 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Like they did by not authorising the Oxford vaccine?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:23 pm
F.orum Ape

Comin' over here, stealing our equities commissions on European company stocks, we'll show them, no more Camenbert when we can buy Kraft from the US at half the price.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:30 pm
Preparing to move again

Comin' over here, stealing our equities commissions on European company stocks, we'll show them, no more Camenbert when we can buy Kraft from the US at half the price.
Kraft ... is that the cheese in handy bottles ?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:40 pm
BEfuddled

Yes, it's what mice do when one isn't watching.
Tricky question that.

I'd been out of the UK far too long to have had a vote in 2016. My bad for not registering. But it wouldn't really have mattered anyway.

If I had have had a vote, it would have been for the UK to remain within the EU.

I actually learnt the result of the referendum via an SMS from a family member in Belgium which read "Stupid, stupid people. Not you, btw ".

I was well miffed; but as I watched these last few years of total Tory bollocks unfold, I began to think that maybe the UK doesn't actually deserve to be a member of the EU...

So I resigned myself to the fact that UK would quit, but then the ERG push for no deal aspect really got my hackles up.

I fully accept that Brexit "got done" by foul means or even fouler means, but I am extremely glad that the UK did not crash out on ERG's no-deal whim.

My recent change in Avatar shows where I stand now.

Looking forwards, I wish Scotland success in the push for independence from Westminster, and subsequent projects, in which case I'll happily swap my UK passport for a Scottish one, to which I believe that I may be entitled to.

Now I shall go and drink beer.

Edit: but before that...
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Oooh, are we going camping?

Bagsies I'm in the Miserable Whingers' tent.
Enjoy.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jan 6th 2021 at 6:26 pm. Reason: would of = Bucks, would have = English

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.