Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit changes

Brexit changes

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 7:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
What a load of drivel in reply to an intelligent post.
The post I responded to included
For most, the advent of brexit will mean very little. Their lives won't be affected much at all and their lives in the UK will carry on much as if little had happened
My post summed that up as "the poor and most other people won't see any difference".

Could you explain how my summary of "most lives won't be affected" as "most people won't see any difference" is drivel?
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 8:36 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

They might not see it. They'll almost certainly feel it though.

Fortunately for the current govt, they've been coached sufficiently to not blame that on the frauds responsible (who are the current govt) but instead to focus their anger on "the EU". We can see how the Eurosceptics frame these deceptions even on this forum, where we STILL have spectacular trottings-out of lies and deceptions by the day from almost every single one.

One hopes the penny may, eventually, drop, too late though it will be to alter the Brexit situation
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 9:17 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The post I responded to included

My post summed that up as "the poor and most other people won't see any difference".

Could you explain how my summary of "most lives won't be affected" as "most people won't see any difference" is drivel?
Probably because it doesn't match what his handlers tell him at the troll farm...
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The number of non-EU immigrants has already soared, so even if one assumes (fairly big assumption) that the law of supply and demand would be allowed to operate unfettered even without them, there is more than enough labour to go around and it's not shrinking.

"From May 2020."Net migration to the UK from countries outside the European Union has risen to its highest level for 45 years, the Office for National Statistics says.

Figures show an estimated 282,000 more non-EU citizens came to the UK than left in 2019, the highest since the information was first gathered in 1975."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics...ed%20in%201975.

And immigrants or not, none of that would address the multi-faceted and deep-seated problems now embedded in so many communities in the UK. What will brexit accomplish here? Nothing.
Pressure on housing is another interesting issue. I invest in a few fin techs that do property loans, and I notice how often developers run into issues because of extensive delays in permitting or re-financing bridge loans and so forth. As a certain percentage of loans default, I decided to look into the situation a bit .closer to try to improve my returns by .by reducing the amount of defaults (though even after defaults my returns a lot higher than I could from a bank). So I spoke to a few developers and some credit analysts at the Fintechs- fairly uniformly government permitting restrictions and delays, as well as government constraints on mortgage lending criteria for banks, were cited as a key reasons for the housing shortage in the UK. So I would guess ending FOM will not have as much effect as some Brexiters contend.

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 10:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Pressure on housing is another interesting issue. I invest in a few fin techs that do property loans, and I notice how often developers run into issues because of extensive delays in permitting or re-financing bridge loans and so forth. As a certain percentage of loans default, I decided to look into the situation a bit .closer to try to improve my returns by .by reducing the amount of defaults (though even after defaults my returns a lot higher than I could from a bank). So I spoke to a few developers and some credit analysts at the Fintechs- fairly uniformly government permitting restrictions and delays, as well as government constraints on mortgage lending criteria for banks, were cited as a key reasons for the housing shortage in the UK. So I would guess ending FOM will not have as much effect as some Brexiters contend.
There is clearly a housing shortage, or an affordable housing shortage, in the UK. Likely not due to a lot of low wage low skilled immigrants. People with second homes must be part of it. There are huge regional differences too.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
For most, the advent of brexit will mean very little. Their lives won't be affected much at all and their lives in the UK will carry on much as if little had happened
What was the point of it then? If, by your own admission it makes no difference to most people?
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:58 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint View Post
What was the point of it then? If, by your own admission it makes no difference to most people?
Ahhhh the ability to cherry pick phrases from a post in the hope that few notice.
Had you the integrity to comment on the post as written, you'd have mentioned that my post commented on the situation post Brexit and therefore can have had no influence on the initial vote, but of course that would have blunted the barb of your post.
I'll repeat my comment.
For those still residing in the UK, there'll be a great many for whom the impact of Brexit will feel like a damp french croissant lying unwanted in an Intermarché garbage bin, that is to say having no impact at all.
For others though, exposed as they are to the rarefied atmosphere of international business, Brexit represents that rare opportunity, akin to the one that I should have recognised all those years ago when I witnessed the birth of the microprocessor, an opportunity to use your experience to clean up.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

There is clearly a housing shortage, or an affordable housing shortage, in the UK. Likely not due to a lot of low wage low skilled immigrants. People with second homes must be part of it. There are huge regional differences too.
There is not a housing shortage in the UK
There are too many people and until more people accept this fact then the problem will not be solved.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 7:57 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the vast expansion of the short let market occasioned by cheap travel and internet letting platforms.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 8:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There also seems to be a bit of a problem with people not understanding the changes. 9 Brits who live in Spain were stopped from boarding a plane yesterday despite having all the correct paperwork to show they were residents, they had, according to the rules agreed between the UK and Spain, and published on the websites, just what was needed, copies of their residencias, but they were not allowed to fly. I suspect that carrying a copy of the documents that show their documents are in order might be a good idea for a while at least. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britons-li...014551111.html
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
There are too many people and until more people accept this fact then the problem will not be solved.
Housing availability depend on supply and demand. Increasing supply will reduce the scale of the problem more effectively and timely than believing ending FOM will either significantly affect the issue, or would do so in a more timely fashion.

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Not to mention the vast expansion of the short let market occasioned by cheap travel and internet letting platforms.
I had forgetten about that. Here's some info on Air bnb just in the UK. It totally changes smaller and more rural communities, too, meaning that young people can't find a place to live where they grew up.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ery-four-homes

Buy to let investors are also driving the price of buying up.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 3rd 2021 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:27 pm

Or, you may be wrong. Maybe it's about allowing an inflow of capital into the housing market that keeps large propedty-owning Tory voters and banking chums happy.

"So, rather counterintuitively, building more houses is not the right prescription. House prices won’t fall until the tide of cash flowing into the market abates, for example by tightening mortgage credit, or shrinking the pool of buy-to-let investors. That may already be starting to happen as real incomes continue to fall, the Bank of England toughens up buy-to-let mortgages, and stamp duty rises are phased in for second properties.Despite this, the government pretends the real cause of unaffordable housing is a shortage of new builds. It uses this argument to provide cover for further taxpayer-funded subsidies and tax breaks that benefit its property-owning core voters, its close allies in the construction industry and property market, and its supporters in the City of London.

But the evidence is clear: increases in housing supply, and a contraction of demand thanks to a fall in the number of households, have not dampened prices. At last count, in 2014, there were 28 million dwellings in the UK, but only a predicted 27.7 million households in 2016. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...housing-crisis

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 1:00 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

There is a shortage of appropriately-sized housing, Fred. There are thousands on waiting lists to move from one property to another, but very few as a percentage who have no accommodation at all.

Part of the problem has been that years ago, the majority of homes that did get built to replace the right-to-buy ones were mostly built as three-bedroom homes in our area, with a small amount of one-bedroom flats. Most of the people looking for transfers or new homes are looking for two bedrooms, so they can start a family, or to downsize after the adult kids have left home.

If you're renting a home with more bedrooms than you need, you get hit with the 'bedroom tax' of around £15 pw per spare room, but get hit with a similar cost if the bedroom is taken up by a non-dependent such as an adult child or lodger.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 1:05 pm
Who - me?

I had forgetten about that. Here's some info on Air bnb just in the UK. It totally changes smaller and more rural communities, too, meaning that young people can't find a place to live where they grew up.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ery-four-homes

Buy to let investors are also driving the price of buying up.
It all looks like a very good case for substantially more bureaucracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.