Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit changes

Brexit changes

Old Dec 30th 2020, 9:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit changes

Seeing that the thread in the France forum has gone, I thought I'd start one in here, so all comments pro and con please, and as it is in the general section, it will inevitably get somewhat heated and go off topic a bit, but that's normal.
My own, personal, thoughts is that the changes will make things so much worse for the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Seeing that the thread in the France forum has gone, I thought I'd start one in here, so all comments pro and con please, and as it is in the general section, it will inevitably get somewhat heated and go off topic a bit, but that's normal.
My own, personal, thoughts is that the changes will make things so much worse for the UK.
Fear of an unknown future is always an interesting subject. In reality, the UK is a large, prosperous, highly literate and highly democratic country. Whatever problems it may experience in the next few years will be addressed and life will go on, for that is the nature of highly educated and stable democracies.

It was to the EU's regret that we were perhaps too democratic. The one nation in the EU that genuinely did respect a democratic mandate. The British democracy is too old and too ingrained to be overcome, although I will never quite forget how hard the establishment tried to negate and delegitimise the referendum. Had they succeeded, it would have been far more damaging in the long run than anything we will experience in the next few years.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 3:47 pm
Been around a bit

bowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond reputebowler has a reputation beyond repute

The UK was always going to have to experience Brexit to get a true picture. Now lets see perhaps over the next 4 years or so how well the Brexit dream holds up.
Hopefully things will go well, but lets just see.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 4:47 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, when I was very young, I went to school.
I got up in the morning, ate breakfast, lounged about a bit, had lunch and played a bit, lounged around some more and went home for tea, and so to bed.
Life was good.
Then came the day when everything changed, I left home on my own, and guess what? The sky didn't fall, time didn't stop and I coped.
Those who live in the real world will likewise cope with Brexit, the mollycoddled will find that they'll have to get off their bums and do things.
All I hear from many is that Brexit's a disaster. Won't be able to do this, can't do that, end of the world is nigh, etc etc. It's a tale of never ending woe.
Leavers point to shackles being removed, of opportunities arising out of the ashes, of those 'sunlit uplands'.
In truth, this is all hyperbole. Those with energy will prosper, those who've drifted through on the benefits of EU membership will find it difficult. They remind me of a teacher I once had, one who'd lived a privileged life as some colonial officer, he was out of place, stuck in the empire of the 1930's.
As I write the UK should be voting on the trade agreement, it's time to look forward, forge a new path and not to waste time looking back sobbing.

Old Dec 30th 2020, 5:05 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
As I write the UK should be voting on the trade agreement, it's time to look forward, forge a new path and not to waste time looking back sobbing.
But that's exactly what leave voters have done for the past 40 years. They looked back at how great the UK was pre-EU. I was there, no it wasn't. So now, stop sobbing, and expect 40 years of re-joining campaign.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 5:16 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100 View Post
But that's exactly what leave voters have done for the past 40 years. They looked back at how great the UK was pre-EU. I was there, no it wasn't. So now, stop sobbing, and expect 40 years of re-joining campaign.
The future will bring what it'll bring. I suspect that it won't take all of 40 years to demonstrate whether Brexit has, or has not, dun da bizness.
I'll not be there to see it, but no doubt the result of the proposed referendum to come will present as enjoyable a forum for discussion as the last one has.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 6:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100 View Post
I've already signed one petition asking the UK Parliament to rejoin the EU, and I certain there will be more. Currently the Post Office have stopped accepting mail for any address within the EU. only a temorary thing but still.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit might well be eclipsed by Covid. Sunak has already spent £300bn trying to sort it out and we are currently seeing 50k cases per day in the UK. Unless it is brought under control Brexit will be just another stone on the road.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In 5 years time the gap between haves and have nots will grow further.

Amnesty International will produce a series of reports condemning some UK actions.

Unicef will have some reports about UK children missing out on nutritious food and education. Fuel poverty will have increased.

The EU will be blamed
Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:24 am
Listen to the Music

As I've mentioned before, there's been a lot of 'It'll be a disaster' whinging on here.
But for those with ambition, they won't have time to moan, they've already be beavering away for some time to understand what's happened and where opportunities have appeared, because there'll always be those who're too lazy, too feckless, too busy and too time constrained to get it right themselves.
Change always provides openings for the opportunist, the bright, the would be consultant and the energetic.
You won't find these saying 'it'll be a disaster'.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

And the WHINGING goes on

What a pathetic example of the human race some of you are.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit has prepared the path for a United Ireland !
Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

malcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond reputemalcom1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
What about Scotland? Can I start preparing my paperwork for a Scottish passport?
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:12 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Indeed - let's be positive!

Pro-EU sentiment has increased in EU members states which is also good, It's also improved in the UK which is good.

Gibraltar seems much closer to reunification with Spain which is also very welcome.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970 View Post
What about Scotland? Can I start preparing my paperwork for a Scottish passport?
How ironic when elsewhere on this site you wish to deny independence for Gibraltar That already has it's own variety of the UK passport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.