Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Black Lives Matter movement

The Black Lives Matter movement

Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Another Oscar Grant case presumably. And another life lost at the hands of US police.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Which values, and how does it fly in the face of them?

In your opinion, what would, or should a Marxist do with the extra money, that shouldn't be spent on houses over one million, to keep with their principles?
ooh is this the bit where you prove you know more about Marxism than me? Happy to concede that one, it just seems to me that someone with millions of dollars to their name hasn't fully embraced Marxist values, more capitalist really. Now if she bought 4 houses and gave 3 away to less fortunate people . My point being that Boiler's post didn't have a thing to do with her colour.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
ooh is this the bit where you prove you know more about Marxism than me? Happy to concede that one, it just seems to me that someone with millions of dollars to their name hasn't fully embraced Marxist values, more capitalist really. Now if she bought 4 houses and gave 3 away to less fortunate people . My point being that Boiler's post didn't have a thing to do with her colour.
Ok, but I am willing to bet The NY Post's article - another Murdoch rag, btw - did.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 7:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Your claim seems to be that it isnt about color, its about hypocritical Marxist values. but you haven't stated what those Marxist values are. How exactly does "someone with millions of dollars to their name" demonstrate that they have not " fully embraced Marxist values, more capitalist really" ? and where in Marxist values, does such a bourgeois concept as charity ("gave 3 away to less fortunate people") fit in?
You have to establish your counter claim that it is about hypocritical Marxist values, before we can dispel the rejected portion of your claim. You haven't even tried to do that, just make the claim, and hope no one notices the vacuousness of your claim.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your claim seems to be that it isnt about color, its about hypocritical Marxist values. but you haven't stated what those Marxist values are. How exactly does "someone with millions of dollars to their name" demonstrate that they have not " fully embraced Marxist values, more capitalist really" ? and where in Marxist values, does such a bourgeois concept as charity ("gave 3 away to less fortunate people") fit in?
You have to establish your counter claim that it is about hypocritical Marxist values, before we can dispel the rejected portion of your claim. You haven't even tried to do that, just make the claim, and hope no one notices the vacuousness of your claim.
teach me about the Marxist way then oh great one. It may be a vacuous claim, but it's one which has upset you, so perhaps it's pretty near the truth. I did read somewhere that Marx wasn't too keen on the uneven distribution of wealth. Isnt a rich Marxist is like a tall dwarf?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 13th 2021 at 8:41 am.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:33 am
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
This link does have the body cam footage if anyone hasn't seen it.

Several cops on scene, one officer goes to the drivers door, the other the passenger door, and the body cam video is from an officer standing back. The cop at the drivers side opens the door and the male from the car gets out, cop informs him he is under arrest and has a warrant, cuffs come out, as officer tries to cuff, you can see the male from the car resists a bit, officer tells him not to, then a struggle ensues between 2 cops and the man who was shot, man end up back in his car, the female cop says "ill tase you" then yells taser taser taser a breif moment later she says in a somewhat surprised and shocked voice "expletive I shot him" the car drives off out of frame and the female officer tells the other one she shot him, also in a rather surprised voice.

Based on the video does seem she may have honestly thought she had the taser in her hand and not a gun and wasn't expecting a gun to fire. Still negligent and should face some level of consequence, I mean if you or I accidently shot someone likely would face manslaughter charge and police should be held to same standards if not higher standards.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...ooting-vpx.cnn
Thanks for this write up JS. I saw that the video was available, but then with the "viewers might find this disturbing warning" decided not to watch it.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 9:09 am
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Which values, and how does it fly in the face of them?

In your opinion, what would, or should a Marxist do with the extra money, that shouldn't be spent on houses over one million, to keep with their principles?
The implied value is equality amongst the masses, and certainly no hoarding of capital. By choosing to own several expensive properties, she appears to reject that notion. She claims that her group has suffered economically, and is systematically repressed, so one use of her "extra money" could be to support others that are fighting for that equality. For example charities that are trying support disadvantaged youth in the black community.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

teach me about the Marxist way then oh great one. It may be a vacuous claim, but it's one which has upset you, so perhaps it's pretty near the truth. I did read somewhere that Marx wasn't too keen on the uneven distribution of wealth. Isnt a rich Marxist is like a tall dwarf?
I haven't made any claims about Marxists or Marxism, have I? But you have. I am just attempting to hold you accountable for you claims, claims which you have, post after post refused to substantiate.

"Isnt a rich Marxist is like a tall dwarf?" Is it, how so?

Let me make it a bit easier for you. I'll ask more directed questions. Where in the ouvrer of Marx and/or Engels, does it state or allude to the need for Marxists to voluntarily contribute to charity by giving away their personal property under Capitalism? They wrote a lot, I am sure it is there, given your claims, just point me too it.

Another one, (and I know almost nothing about the person this is about, outside of this thread), how did they acquire their money? I am guessing it is from speaking and writing; so which proportion of this money was accrued from other peoples surplus value? I can see making money from other people surplus value being against Marxist values, so maybe you are thinking this money has been acquired in such a way, if so, whose surplus value will have been taken by a speaker/writer? or maybe you know more about this person than I do, and how they got this money. You making claims, certainly hints at you knowing more.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:07 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
The implied value is equality amongst the masses, and certainly no hoarding of capital. By choosing to own several expensive properties, she appears to reject that notion. She claims that her group has suffered economically, and is systematically repressed, so one use of her "extra money" could be to support others that are fighting for that equality. For example charities that are trying support disadvantaged youth in the black community.
​​​​​​
Same question for you, Where in the ouvrer of Marx and/or Engels, does it state or allude to the need for Marxists to voluntarily contribute to charity by giving away their personal property under Capitalism?

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 13th 2021 at 3:11 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I for one did not know Activism could be so remunerative.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:04 pm
Pacifist Ape

Same question for you, Where in the ouvrer of Marx and/or Engels, does it state or allude to the need for Marxists to voluntarily contribute to charity by giving away their personal property under Capitalism?
Under the section on strawmen.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:08 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Under the section on strawmen.
I'll take that as, its not in the ouvrer .
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:08 pm
Pacifist Ape

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
The charity sector is rife with folk that would not progress within the competitive private or public sector. It's donated money, vested interests, and quirky accounting. Add some global social media mayhem into the mix, and hey, Topanga Canyon beckons !
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
What makes you think it is?
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:20 pm
Pacifist Ape

I'll take that as, its not in the ouvrer .
It doesn't need to the in the oeuvre. Marxism is a movement and philosophy rooted in human equality (as you will know) and buying expensive property is antithetical to that. Orwell had it right: some are more equal than others.

The interesting point here, is that far from suffering from the phantom systemic racism, here is another successful black woman who has found a way to join the ranks of the well-to-do. I have no objection with that, just the hypocrisy of her journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.