Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:42 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Originally Posted by JeenaG View Post
It's strange to be treated with suspicion and some hostility here right from my very first contribution.
Ray's Rules - Rule 2 may be applicable here -

-2- For your first posting an introduction of yourself is most welcome and appreciated..be pleasant and un-critical ... People do not respond to the unknown entity.
When one walks into a room where a group of folks are all interacting , it is more usual to introduce oneself in some small way & then enquire or contribute . Not just to beam down, star-trek style & utter a plonked in comment from far left field. People will look aside and askance . They would under most any circumstances.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

When one walks into a room where a group of folks are all interacting , it is more usual to introduce oneself in some small way & then enquire or contribute . Not just to beam down, star-trek style & utter a plonked in comment from far left field. People will look aside and askance . They would under most any circumstances.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi old.sparkles .

That was so in my time & even with the onset of GDPR , but I believe from what I have read here from Bob , that this now is not the case. GDPR itself doesn't seem to have altered so perhaps it is a reduction in the vbulletin options or an IB legal dept decision .

As Old Sparkles mentions, it's a privacy requirement, since last year. CA in particular take requests for data to be deleted quite seriously at least.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:07 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
As Old Sparkles mentions, it's a privacy requirement, since last year. CA in particular take requests for data to be deleted quite seriously at least.
Sparkles said that for closed accounts the name remains. Deleted accounts the name goes.

You wrote that both are treated the same now - so on both the name goes - which is fair enough as I know these edicts come from IB legal.

Just had a moment so will now get a headache.

What about adding a post to the GDPR compliance notice thread by IBJoel. Something simple re this username thing and account details removal. Save having to repeat it or it raising its head again.

I get it of course but others may not.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sparkles said that for closed accounts the name remains. Deleted accounts the name goes.

You wrote that both are treated the same now - so on both the name goes - which is fair enough as I know these edicts come from IB legal.

Just had a moment so will now get a headache.

What about adding a post to the GDPR compliance notice thread by IBJoel. Something simple re this username thing and account details removal. Save having to repeat it or it raising its head again.

I get it of course but others may not.
No. If someone asks for their account to be closed, it is just closed. All data left. If someone asks for their account to be deleted, it has to be deleted in a timely manner, and their info deleted, leaving a generic user name in place.

You make a good point about adding it to the notice. It is some what pointed to in the privacy statement link at the very bottom of the site, but does not spell out the distinction of a closed or deleted account.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No. If someone asks for their account to be closed, it is just closed. All data left. If someone asks for their account to be deleted, it has to be deleted in a timely manner, and their info deleted, leaving a generic user name in place.

You make a good point about adding it to the notice. It is some what pointed to in the privacy statement link at the very bottom of the site, but does not spell out the distinction of a closed or deleted account.
So if a 'close my account' is requested, the username and all posts (including post count) remain the same?

If the account is requested as 'delete my account' then the username is deleted and all post counts deleted too...

Have I got this correct now? I'm confused.

I'd appreciate a fully detailed synopsis, thank you.

The "California' part only refers to residents of California..

15. California Privacy Rights This section is provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the “CCPA”) and other applicable California privacy laws. This section applies solely to our users who are California residents as defined under applicable California privacy laws.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2022 at 2:03 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

JeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. Maybe that information would be helpful for inclusion in new member welcome emails?

But that aside, I believe I did provide that kind of information about myself in a couple of the messages that I posted to "Site Feedback" but they were placed in the 'Mod hold area' or whatever it's called. Any news about what's happened with those?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hmmmm.

If one asks for their account to be closed, it is closed. Their details all remain.

If one asks for their account to be deleted, all their profile information is deleted. The posts remain, attached to a generic username, so that forum indexing is not broken.

Yes, the reference to the CA privacy rules are for residence of California, but for simplicity sakes, it is applied to everyone.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
So if a 'close my account' is requested, the username and all posts (including post count) remain the same?

If the account is requested as 'delete my account' then the username is deleted and all post counts deleted too...

Have I got this correct now? I'm confused.

I'd appreciate a fully detailed synopsis, thank you.

The "California' part only refers to residents of California..
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing to do is just stop posting and leave. I have never participated in TIO because I’m not up to all the arguing - I like to read it though. There are some interesting people on there with different view points,

Years ago I think LIW must have stopped posting, and then came back. I remember Ray saying that one of his favorite posters was back - and it was LIW. He admired LIWs intellect. Stuck in my mind. He was right, as usual!
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
The best thing to do is just stop posting and leave. I have never participated in TIO because I’m not up to all the arguing - I like to read it though. There are some interesting people on there with different view points,

Years ago I think LIW must have stopped posting, and then came back. I remember Ray saying that one of his favorite posters was back - and it was LIW. He admired LIWs intellect. Stuck in my mind. He was right, as usual!

You are way too flattering.

But overall my personal opinion is that TIO should be nuked from high orbit and other threads/folders set up for current events, etc. The whole TIO concept has degenerated and now just encourages aggression, at best.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:46 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You are way too flattering.

But overall my personal opinion is that TIO should be nuked from high orbit and other threads/folders set up for current events, etc. The whole TIO concept has degenerated and now just encourages aggression, at best.

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:49 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
+ 1

Plus troll protection measures!
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:48 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

The best thing to do is just stop posting and leave
I would go along with that one.
Saves the volunteer mod team work too. Bonus!
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Except the 'too flattering' part. It's true.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would go along with that one.
Saves the volunteer mod team work too. Bonus!

At last!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.