British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

Red Eric Aug 23rd 2021 1:52 pm

Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13043517)
I think it is a more popular sentiment in the population than most would like to admit. I know we all want to be seen to be super compassionate and welcoming in situations like this but I reckon more people would secretly say they don't want 20,000 Afghan relocated to the UK than would publicly admit it.

It's NIMBY-ism at it's very, very best - both locally and nationally.

Interesting snippet from the Daily Mail, talking about a poll it commissioned :

More than half (51 per cent) said ministers have not done enough to help Afghan interpreters who helped British troops find refuge along with their families.

The Mail has highlighted the urgent issue over the six years of our award-winning Betrayal Of The Brave campaign. A majority (53 per cent) said Britain should do more to accept refugees fleeing the Taliban, compared to just one in five who disagreed.
Full article here

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 23rd 2021 5:25 pm

(CNN)Joe Biden believes that you don't care about Afghanistan. Or, maybe more accurately, that you won't care about it by the time the 2022 (and 2024) elections rolls around.
He -- and his top aides-- wouldn't put it that way, of course.
But every signal he and they are sending makes clear that they simply do not believe the debacle of the last 10 days will be a voting issue for most Americans.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/23/polit...ion/index.html

Callous maybe but logical.

Scamp Aug 24th 2021 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13043631)
I suppose it depends where. Cities are more cosmopolitan and used to first generation immigrants in a way that Winchester is not.

Also, you are far too young to wear red trousers. OK, now that I've said that someone who looks about 14 just walked past me on the train, wearing them.

Never too young for red trousers. Chinos for every occasion!

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13043637)

Full article here

Not to dispute, but that was 1040 people 'interviewed' yesterday. Makes it look like Hillary's election all over again.

That being said, nice to see people at least pretending to be nice

Red Eric Aug 24th 2021 7:01 am

True - but I'm not going to object if the DM wants to crusade in favour of Afghan refugees.

It would make a refreshing change.

I've read various opinions suggesting government is misjudging majority public opinion. Again, I'm not sure it's true but it would be nice to think so. I suppose that's the problem with having the most obnoxious opinions and the loudest complainers in yer face all the time - gets impossible to judge the general mood.

Scamp Aug 24th 2021 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13043838)
True - but I'm not going to object if the DM wants to crusade in favour of Afghan refugees.

It would make a refreshing change.

I've read various opinions suggesting government is misjudging majority public opinion. Again, I'm not sure it's true but it would be nice to think so. I suppose that's the problem with having the most obnoxious opinions and the loudest complainers in yer face all the time - gets impossible to judge the general mood.

Hahahah

Very, very good point. Totally refreshing.

I'm just very cynical about the authenticity from some, maybe I'm just getting older and more miserable.

EnglishRed Aug 24th 2021 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13043637)

Don't have anything to do with the Daily Fail. Did it mention how it would affect house prices? That's their usual concern.

Nand Aug 24th 2021 1:08 pm

How would large muslim families from Afganistan be able to afford housing in UK with no employment possibilities and no English language proficiency? The cost of rent is so high for a large family.

Scamp Aug 24th 2021 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043923)
How would large muslim families from Afganistan be able to afford housing in UK with no employment possibilities and no English language proficiency? The cost of rent is so high for a large family.

Does the Muslim bit matter in this question?

robin1234 Aug 24th 2021 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043923)

I think it’s reasonable to assume that most Afghans are far more language proficient than most British people. Apparently, only 6% of Afghans speak English - but among the ones who’d like to emigrate to the U.K., it’s highly likely the percentage of English speakers is much higher.

https://translatorswithoutborders.or...or-afghanistan

There are between 40 and 59 languages spoken in Afghanistan. Dari and Pashto are the official and most widely spoken languages, by 77% and 48% of the population respectively. Dari, or Farsi, is the official name of the variety of Persian spoken in the country, and is widely used as a lingua franca. The two official languages are followed by Uzbeki (11%), English (6%), Turkmeni (3%), Urdu (3%), Pashai (1%), Nuristani (1%), Arabic (1%), and Balochi (1%).

Nand Aug 24th 2021 2:05 pm

I said Muslim because having lived in a Muslim country myself, the family size is a factor! Extended families live together with servants and more than one wife plus children means European housing is going to be inadequate and much too expensive for even employed top drawer english speakers from Afganistan.

gI'm just seeing a chasm between reality and ideas in what people are imagining 20,000 refugees will need and how in the world it is possible. I think those who leave willbe most likely young single men, hence why the severe restrictions and checking before planes are filled with people trying to leave.

Wish it were more simple and just throwing money and plane tickets would solve this.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 24th 2021 2:24 pm

The 20,000 will be be mainly women and girls.

robin1234 Aug 24th 2021 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043944)
I said Muslim because having lived in a Muslim country myself, the family size is a factor! Extended families live together with servants and more than one wife plus children means European housing is going to be inadequate and much too expensive for even employed top drawer english speakers from Afganistan.

gI'm just seeing a chasm between reality and ideas in what people are imagining 20,000 refugees will need and how in the world it is possible. I think those who leave willbe most likely young single men, hence why the severe restrictions and checking before planes are filled with people trying to leave.

Wish it were more simple and just throwing money and plane tickets would solve this.

20,000 is not a lot of people. Apparently, the number of Ugandan Asians who relocated to the U.K. in the early 70s was about 28,000 …

kimilseung Aug 24th 2021 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043944)

Are they poor or rich, because you have to have a few bob to have more than one wife. In this Muslim country that you lived in how many people did you meet with more than one wife? In this Muslim country that you lived in how many poor people did you meet with more than one wife?

Nand Aug 24th 2021 2:38 pm

Truly I cannot see that women and girls will be leaving their families. The culture you are talking about is used to a very different life than Uganda.

caretaker Aug 24th 2021 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13043954)
20,000 is not a lot of people. Apparently, the number of Ugandan Asians who relocated to the U.K. in the early 70s was about 28,000 …

Canada took in 25,000 Syrian refugees in about 5 months. Sponsorships and the Open Door Society all helped.