Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

2nd Falkland war??

2nd Falkland war??

Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future
Default 2nd Falkland war??

Argentina has said any boat sailing between it and the Falkland Islands will now need a government permit, increasing a row over oil exploration.
They seem to be getting a bit shitty about this. I can see why they'd be jealous about the oil and gas etc, but they can get stuffed.

How powerful is Argentina these days in terms of military etc?

If they decided to play silly buggers would the U.K. have to pull out of Afghanistan?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8518982.stm
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd Falkland war??

Originally Posted by Cuppa10 View Post
They seem to be getting a bit shitty about this. I can see why they'd be jealous about the oil and gas etc, but they can get stuffed.
If they decided to play silly buggers would the U.K. have to pull out of Afghanistan?
That's a thought.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

it's my understanding that the Argentine military never fully recovered from the pasting it took in 1982, partly because governments that succeeded the junta were less militarily inclined and also because they couldn't afford to reinvest much in their armed forces because of a series of prolonged financial crises.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:36 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

In terms of pulling out of Afghanistan, I doubt it.

It doesn't matter 'how big' Argentina's army is, the Falkland's are relatively small and we'll readily wipe them out, again.

If we were to carry it on into Argentina then it would be rather tricky, and would be a hard slog, turning into another gorilla war with the chance of other countries in the area getting involved, I'm sure Hugo Chaves in the north would somehow wade in.

They are only just coming out out of an era of extreme hardship and are starting to modernize their military with the help of Brazil and other Latin american countries and as is stated in that article UK is working with them on 'issues'.

I can't see it going sour just yet, not until they want to fight over the oil. I think they just want to make some money out of what they see as theirs!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:37 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
That's a thought.
Someone should pop a dvd of the last time they got arsey
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's be any need to pull out of anywhere. Militarily, the Argies are shitebags and would turn on their heels and do a runner at the first sight of our colours. Just like the French. And the Italians.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:50 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I've just thought aren't the Yanks in the Falklands renting a base off us? You reckon they'd sit back and let themselves be attacked?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:52 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney View Post
I've just thought aren't the Yanks in the Falklands renting a base off us?
are you thinking of Ascension Island?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67 View Post
I don't think there's be any need to pull out of anywhere. Militarily, the Argies are shitebags and would turn on their heels and do a runner at the first sight of our colours. Just like the French. And the Italians.
Let's not be complacent. The Argentine regulars are (or were) quite well trained; back in 1982 their commandos had actually been trained by the SBS years before. It was Argentine conscripts that got rolled over.

However, I don't think Argentina really want to invade the Falklands again. It would probably be a political disaster.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:20 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Let's not be complacent. The Argentine regulars are (or were) quite well trained; back in 1982 their commandos had actually been trained by the SBS years before. It was Argentine conscripts that got rolled over.

However, I don't think Argentina really want to invade the Falklands again. It would probably be a political disaster.
Were, they're all fat and 50+ now..

The army if conscripted could stand around 10 million.

The UK could stand around 12 million!

But even if it was half of that there would be no contest when it came to present day technology as they are just starting to play catchup.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina has said any boat sailing between it and the Falkland Islands will now need a government permit, increasing a row over oil exploration.
so long as it's a British government permit......
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

We've got that nice new troop carrying ship.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post

First sensible post of the thread.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:19 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy View Post
If we were to carry it on into Argentina then it would be rather tricky, and would be a hard slog, turning into another guerrilla war with the chance of other countries in the area getting involved, I'm sure Hugo Chaves in the north would somehow wade in.
I believe Argentina is having yet another wave of political problems, so they're probably looking for ways to divert attention to another issue. The Falklands is always guaranteed to stir patriotism within Argentina (I'm unreliably informed that not to support Argentina's claim to the Falklands is enough to ruin anyone's political career), and I think this is just another way of trying to annex the islands.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy View Post
Were, they're all fat and 50+ now..
The army if conscripted could stand around 10 million.
The UK could stand around 12 million!
But even if it was half of that there would be no contest when it came to present day technology as they are just starting to play catchup.
I'm ever so ever so sorry but *titter* I read that as the army if constipated....

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
However, I don't think Argentina really want to invade the Falklands again. It would probably be a political disaster

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
First sensible post of the thread.
I think saying 'that's a thought', while a cop out because I was off to do something else at the time, was hardly in the 'not sensible' camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.