Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

1900 - 2021

1900 - 2021

Old Jul 22nd 2021, 3:16 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1900 - 2021

Nothing like 100 years ago. And before that, the world was mostly run by monarchies and dictatorships and so on.. Much less of that going on today. Much, much less. Read history. It's an eye opener.

Yes, there's still many issues, and they won't likely get sorted before the next major threat hits humanity in ways we can't possibly comprehend yet. But we're starting to. And that's progress. Like it's always been.

Count your blessings. It could be a lot worse.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Yeah but...

This proves we really never learn from all of life's disasters and major catastrophes.
The world still has crackpots and dictators as leaders.
Until that stops happening nothing will really change.
Agree with you that there is always some part of he world suffering from war and violence, while others escape from this and succeed.

However who could have predicted this pandemic?
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 3:43 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

In the end, despite all the tragedy, its going to be a very important learning experience, just like all other past tragedies.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 5:21 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Agree with you that there is always some part of he world suffering from war and violence, while others escape from this and succeed.

However who could have predicted this pandemic?

It might not have been such a wide spread problem if certain world leaders had not made little of it in the beginning. If that had listened more instead of spouting negative and false information.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Imagine you were born in 1900...
That looks like it may have come from the same 'pen' as that one about how we played as kids and survived
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Nothing like 100 years ago. And before that, the world was mostly run by monarchies and dictatorships and so on.. Much less of that going on today. Much, much less. Read history. It's an eye opener.

Yes, there's still many issues, and they won't likely get sorted before the next major threat hits humanity in ways we can't possibly comprehend yet. But we're starting to. And that's progress. Like it's always been.

Count your blessings. It could be a lot worse.
Yeah but … there seems to be an assumption here that things are inevitably going to get better - history as a learning experience. The Whig interpretation of history. I think I used to believe in that - forty or fifty years ago.

The world was run by monarchies and dictatorships and so on. Yeah, and the successor governments to the Russian Empire, the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, the Ottoman Empire are all so much better? Hungary? Syria? Belarus?
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

I am not saying WW2 was a good thing as it wasn't in the big picture, but it was very beneficial to my great grandparents, and without the 1929 crash, I likely would not be here, since the crash is what led to my dads parents ending up in California, and they would have never met otherwise, thus my dad wouldn't exist, nor would I.

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Yeah, but …

All of those disasters affected some people adversely, but not others.

For instance, plenty of people made money in the 1929 crash, for instance by selling at the right time.

WWII led to tens of millions of deaths, and misery for tens of millions of others. But, many people (including British, American, French, Soviet, etc etc) had a “good war.”
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't alive 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago, I can for my life, the first 20 years were stable, and all around good, of course I was a kid for much of the first 20 years, but stable house, stable food, and stability go along way. The next 20 years has been unstable everything, and year by year the costs go up for basic needs like food, to a point now we can't even living in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, buy groceries on a regular basis, if not food bank we would not be able to obtain food.

So yeah there might be more technology that has changed life, but some of the struggles are still there, just in a different way.

Often what others call whining is simply the reality for others, someone in a stable financial position and home wont see life through the same lens.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:53 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Ok, we're worse off than we were 100 years, ago. If it makes you feel better. But I think if you could actually go back there, you'd quickly understand my point.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 7:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Ok, we're worse off than we were 100 years, ago. If it makes you feel better. But I think if you could actually go back there, you'd quickly understand my point.
I understand your point. You show no sign whatever of engaging with, or understanding my point. You believe in progress, OK, that’s good. In some circumstances, we learn from our mistakes, and do better in the future.

100 years ago, 120 years ago, I think more governments were prepared to follow the science, seek out best practices in other jurisdictions etc. Now the Donald Trump and Viktor Orban method of enquiry seems to be winning out …
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine being born during the Paelolithic Era in Northern Spain.
At the age of 5 you cut your finger on a sharp piece of rock,
contracted Tetanus and died.
Maybe it's time to be less selfish, stop whining and crying.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well here's something I'm certainly not whining about.

Good news.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-57930901
Just started a specific thread about that in this forum
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:36 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I understand your point. You show no sign whatever of engaging with, or understanding my point. You believe in progress, OK, that’s good. In some circumstances, we learn from our mistakes, and do better in the future.

100 years ago, 120 years ago, I think more governments were prepared to follow the science, seek out best practices in other jurisdictions etc. Now the Donald Trump and Viktor Orban method of enquiry seems to be winning out …
Well, that's what many were like centuries ago. Most of them, really. We've come a long ways since then, which might explain why the likes of Trump and Organ seem so repugnant. They are, of course, but centuries ago, they'd be rather normal, if not considered to be "wise".

I do agree that returning to that level of evolution has no benefit. But maybe some of us need to learn the lessons of our predecessors again.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a political thread…please do not attempt to turn it into one.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 10:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
This is not a political thread…please do not attempt to turn it into one.
Given the opening post, how can it possibly not be? Twas in TIO for a reason, no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.