Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Yuk in the kettle!

Yuk in the kettle!

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:11 am
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Yuk in the kettle!

Can anyone recommend how to stop the gunk from building up in our kettle please!

We have tried boiling vinegar and adding a stone to the kettle but the build up still builds up and we get a 'film' on the water, yuk!

Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yuk in the kettle!

We are so lucky living where we do, no chalk or anything to fur up the kettle, it is as good as when we moved over here three years ago.
So sorry cannot help you. hope it gets sorted, reminds me of my sons house in UK.
regards pwwm
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:26 am
Hanging by a thread

Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pwwm
We are so lucky living where we do, no chalk or anything to fur up the kettle, it is as good as when we moved over here three years ago.
So sorry cannot help you. hope it gets sorted, reminds me of my sons house in UK.
regards pwwm
We didn't get anything like this when we've been over before, this is the first time we've seen it. We're using a tea strainer at the moment!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:41 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
We didn't get anything like this when we've been over before, this is the first time we've seen it. We're using a tea strainer at the moment!
There are problems with the water at present. We were told that the water is actually toxic!! :scared:
(Sounds like 'chinese wispers' to me)

Our water has had a lovely brown tint to it for over a month, I use it to wash but everything else is out of a bottle.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Nasty for you both, I did hear a while back that some area's have had toxic problems
pwwm
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:57 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Red tide shuts down Costa fisheries

NEWS Staff Reporter - Week May 5th to May 11th 2005.

The fisheries from the Bay of Málaga to Nerja have been shut down to mollusc fishermen due to a red tide. The precautionary closure was ordered Monday by the Junta de Andaluc�*a’s Agriculture and Fishing Department due to the detection of a high concentration of a toxic algae in the waters of fisheries 34 and 35 (from Málaga to Punta de Vélez and from Punta de Vélez to Maro, respectively).

The current red tide is the result of an algae that contains a species of phytoplankton known as Pseudonitzschia, which can produce a toxin called domoic acid. When the toxin is ingested by some shellfish, particularly bivalves like clams, mussels and scallops, it makes them potentially unsafe for human consumption. If eaten by humans, the contaminated shellfish can cause amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP), which can bring on gastrointestinal and neurological problems within minutes or hours of ingestion.

Agriculture and Fishing is carrying out further analyses to determine whether shellfish in the affected areas have been contaminated by the naturally-occurring toxic algae. The closure of the fisheries is a preventative measure to protect public health while the testing is carried out. Once it is proven that the molluscs are not contaminated or the level of toxic algae recedes, the fisheries will be reopened.

Meanwhile, the Málaga mollusc fisherman will have to ply the waters of the Torremolinos-to-Manilva fisheries. Last week, part of this zone – around Marbella and Estepona – was also the subject of a red tide warning, but the Junta lifted the warning after confirming that the molluscs were unaffected.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nasty britbull, I also heard there was problems at Lake Vinuela or therabouts
pwwm

Last edited by pwwm; Dec 2nd 2005 at 12:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone recommend how to stop the gunk from building up in our kettle please!

We have tried boiling vinegar and adding a stone to the kettle but the build up still builds up and we get a 'film' on the water, yuk!

Thanks!
Hello Sparkle2nite,
there is a product called "Calgon" it comes in different forms but I get the liquid in sachies its blue in colour and you put it into the kettle and boil it then you empty it out and while the kettle is still hot you pour cold water into it and rinse out, I found that if you also bang the kettle with your hand the lime scale drops off. once you have done this you put more water into the kettle and boil again then its safe to use.

David SR
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:49 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Yuk in the kettle!

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello Sparkle2nite,
there is a product called "Calgon" it comes in different forms but I get the liquid in sachies its blue in colour and you put it into the kettle and boil it then you empty it out and while the kettle is still hot you pour cold water into it and rinse out, I found that if you also bang the kettle with your hand the lime scale drops off. once you have done this you put more water into the kettle and boil again then its safe to use.

David SR
We have had a sand filter fitted so that the water is filtered before it gets to the house. This stops the taps getting blocked. We also brought our Britta water filter jug. Jugs and filters can be bought at Miro and El Corte Ingles. Our kettle is now fine and only needs the occasional wipe out.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:43 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I use "Agua Fuerte " I put in enough cold water to cover the element and then add about a small cup of "Agua Fuerte" and leave it for about 10 mins then rinse with clean water a couple of times ,boil and throw the water away and your Kettle should be as good as new .
XXXXX WARNING XXXXXX Agua Fuerte is Hydrofluoric Acid it should only be used out side by a COMPETENT PERSON,as it gives of strong fumes and you should wear gloves and some form of eye wear ,if splashed on the skin it should be washed off immediately..
Agua Fuerte can be purchased from most Hardware Shops and some Supermarkets.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:58 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered having a water softening or reverse osmosis system installed? I'm not too sure how availble this would be in Spain...in my era there they were almost unheard of...but Spain has come a long way.

Or maybe try buying bottled water for the kettle.

The bottom line is that you need to remove the calcium carbonate and other excessive mineral content from your water.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Or maybe try buying bottled water for the kettle.

The bottom line is that you need to remove the calcium carbonate and other excessive mineral content from your water.[/QUOTE]

We have used bottled water in the kettle and within 3 times of boiling a full kettle there were limescale deposits and the water turns cloudy and bitty everytime......maybe its the minerals in the bottled water......my kettle is only a tesco value one but it's got a fine mesh strainer on the spout so it traps all the bits.
The satchets of 'oust' and other commercial products will get rid of the limescale but they'll be back pretty soon
Mary
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:40 pm
Hanging by a thread

Thanks for all your replies, greatly appreciated.

As we are only renting at the mo' obviously fitting some sort of filter system is out of the question. The kettle does have a mesh thingy but the rubbish still gets through, hence the tea strainer which seems to be doing the job. Just a pain having to rinse the kettle out a few times before boiling.....but hey, we have blue skies instead of grey so I can cope with a bit of crap in my kettle......as the saying goes 'a blind man would be glad to see it'.

Thanks again!

PS couldn't help with a suggestion as how to stop the local cats scrattin' in my yukka pot could you?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:48 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

Thanks for all your replies, greatly appreciated.

we have blue skies instead of grey

Thanks again!

PS couldn't help with a suggestion as how to stop the local cats scrattin' in my yukka pot could you?
Blue skies? Where?? It's been awful here on the South Coast for 3 weeks

To stop cats scratchin' - Fresh lemon peel in an old sock or, tin foil around the soil - both are a deterrent for most moggies
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:30 pm
Hanging by a thread

Originally Posted by BritBull
Blue skies? Where?? It's been awful here on the South Coast for 3 weeks

To stop cats scratchin' - Fresh lemon peel in an old sock or, tin foil around the soil - both are a deterrent for most moggies
Thanks for that BritBull, will try both! We're in Nerja and the sky is blue, have had a few days rain but mainly blue skies now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.