Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

You're all being watched!

You're all being watched!

Old May 26th 2012, 8:23 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default You're all being watched!

I let our recent visitors from the UK (close family) use our computer to check their messages and facebook, and whatever else they wanted to do online. I wish I hadn't.

Luckily I've got some fierce security programmes installed, but I still had to clean up issues for a whole day after the last ones left.

The article below explains a small part of it, in reality the whole world is watching itself and everyone else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pying-you.html

I suppose even quoting the article puts me on a list somewhere.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:59 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You're all being watched!

On the comments section ............

All the idiots on these boards are now using these words like naughty children who've been told not to swear. They just don't seem to get that this is being done to save their lives, and their loved ones. Would they rather the terrorists make their plans without being detected?

Old May 27th 2012, 7:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte

All the idiots on these boards are now using these words like naughty children who've been told not to swear. They just don't seem to get that this is being done to save their lives, and their loved ones. Would they rather the terrorists make their plans without being detected?

I'm not sure where I personally stand on this issue. I wouldn't want to be blown up the next time I get on an aeroplane, but nor do I feel safe about all the people who have access to all of my communications, including private texts to close relatives.

I walked through the City, in London, a few months ago and knew that after walking the mile my movements would have been monitored at least 300 times by different people.

I live on the outskirts of a city here in Spain, where it's quite rural, but every roundabout has spy cameras on it.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte

Part of me agrees, part of me thinks the list is a tad inclusive. Cloud? OK I can see the likely context but alone what will it turn up? A load of weather freaks and average common or garden brits talking about the skies. Pork? Crikey is there no limit? And it creates an atmosphere of uncertainty and mistrust. 10 years back when emailing my now-OH, I mentioned my mother's *ahem dare I say it* Argentine nationality and the attitude of locals to us when visiting in 1992, the 10-year (whisper) Falklands anniversary............. he was sh!t scared we'd both be on GCHQ's listings instantaneously. Probably right - particularly since he was then only about 3 miles from it! but would that be justified?
Old May 27th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

............... anyway, how can you 'clean up' after some visitors if the words used are already out there in etherland?
Old May 27th 2012, 7:50 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
............... anyway, how can you 'clean up' after some visitors if the words used are already out there in etherland?
I would imagine that once a keyword is spotted, there would be a need for verification and spyware is dropped on your PC to monitor it further. It's some of those little intruders that can be detected by anti-spyware programmes, rootkits, keyloggers and a multitude of other cookies, most of them probably innocent.

If the state agencies get the required verification, it would be natural for them to take things further and monitor your phones etc.

The final step would be someone going through your dustbin and following you around. And if you're a big enough fish you might even get your own satellite keeping an eye on you from space.

Once everything is in place, they send a drone to blow you up.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HBG
I would imagine that once a keyword is spotted, there would be a need for verification and spyware is dropped on your PC to monitor it further. It's some of those little intruders that can be detected by anti-spyware programmes, rootkits, keyloggers and a multitude of other cookies, most of them probably innocent.

If the state agencies get the required verification, it would be natural for them to take things further and monitor your phones etc.

The final step would be someone going through your dustbin and following you around. And if you're a big enough fish you might even get your own satellite keeping an eye on you from space.

Sadly there'll be those who think this is the unthinkable
Old May 27th 2012, 8:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone being blown up by a drone in the UK or Spain from either official sources or even rumour-mongers.

Furthermore if you've done nowt wrong why worry about it ?

Paranoia springs to mind.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think its all bollocks. Bil and I tried to attract attention last year in a concerted effort to flag up some threads, including one for Scientologists and nothing, absolutely nothing and this place flags up pretty high on Google so like I said, bollocks!

Also, really? Cloud? If thats true why the hell did Apple, the biggest company in the world now, name their new service the Cloud?

Sunday morning rant over.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:07 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Send a drone to blow you up
They can"t see you with your foil hat not yet.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Personally I think its all bollocks. Bil and I tried to attract attention last year in a concerted effort to flag up some threads, including one for Scientologists and nothing, absolutely nothing and this place flags up pretty high on Google so like I said, bollocks!

Also, really? Cloud? If thats true why the hell did Apple, the biggest company in the world now, name their new service the Cloud?

Sunday morning rant over.

Bil has been abducted by aliens.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If only that were true! I hear more from him now than I ever bloody did! Bloody bloke! (I hope he still reads our bullshit!)
Old May 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Is that what they're called nowadays
Old May 27th 2012, 8:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind being watched and I wish my phone had been hacked so I could get on the gravy train

Remember those street cameras have helped in many criminal investigations and even helped to convict some murders.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:26 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Can't say I've ever heard of anyone being blown up by a drone in the UK or Spain from either official sources or even rumour-mongers.

Furthermore if you've done nowt wrong why worry about it ?

Paranoia springs to mind.
We're still a bit old-fashioned in the UK, we prefer to push them under trains or use poisoned umbrella tips.

We use the drones in Pakistan, the Yemen, Somalia, but those countries are not really like us, are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.