Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your help and advice please

Your help and advice please

Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:40 am
  #1  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your help and advice please

I have put this on another forum but not much response ........

It occurs to me that when we move to Spain obviously we won't be covered by the Spanish health system as we're not retirement age. Net result, we will be paying about £200 a month into a private health scheme.

Our villa has two floors, and although the bottom floor is not fitted out yet (just breeze block) it was planned so that it could be let out as a separate holiday let. Separate entrance etc. Now we initially decided to shelve that and live in both parts, but I'm thinking that if we were to let it out for two or three months a year and pay our taxes in Spain then we would be contributing to the system, be registered properly for health cover in Spain, make a bit of money, and save the private health contributions.

Would this be right does anyone know, or do you have to contribute a certain amount per year to qualify, or (as ever) is it nowhere as simple as this.
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:00 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Hi Mitzyboy

re health advice, we went into the local social security office with our residencia cards and got an SS card, we took this to the local surgery and are now registered, as in the UK with a doctor here, we are under retirement age, similar to yourself by the sound of it, A friend had to get a form from UK with which to get the card, cannot of the top of my head think of it but will repost when I see her tomorrow, this takes you off the books in UK (hence the gp's will not get paid for you).
Our surgery has everything including x/ray physio etc etc.

have alook at this link re forms to bring

http://www.globalestates.co.uk/E121.htm

pwwm
pwwm is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:10 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Mitzyboy

re health advice, we went into the local social security office with our residencia cards and got an SS card, we took this to the local surgery and are now registered, as in the UK with a doctor here, we are under retirement age, similar to yourself by the sound of it, A friend had to get a form from UK with which to get the card, cannot of the top of my head think of it but will repost when I see her tomorrow, this takes you off the books in UK (hence the gp's will not get paid for you).
Our surgery has everything including x/ray physio etc etc.

have alook at this link re forms to bring

http://www.globalestates.co.uk/E121.htm

pwwm
Depending on your N.I. contributions in the UK you can get up to 2 years reciprocal cover with a form E106 but after that tough unless you live in the Valencia area. You would be covered for emergency treatment but that is all. We belong to a private medical centre which costs us 22 euros every other month and can see a doctor free of charge. My worry is if we had a major illness and had to spend a long time in hospital.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:15 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

re E106, Unfortunately I had left work and had time out before coming over and the cover goes on your contributions within the last two years, so despite working almost my entire life I was not covered, paid my taxes etc etc but not covered because I stopped work before moving over.

re critical illness, a friend of mine has multiple tumours and gets excellent treatment, not private, the only problem here seems to be no home care.
Granada and Motril hospitals have been wonderful.
pwwm is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:53 am
  #5  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Originally Posted by pwwm
re E106, Unfortunately I had left work and had time out before coming over and the cover goes on your contributions within the last two years, so despite working almost my entire life I was not covered, paid my taxes etc etc but not covered because I stopped work before moving over.

re critical illness, a friend of mine has multiple tumours and gets excellent treatment, not private, the only problem here seems to be no home care.
Granada and Motril hospitals have been wonderful.
Im self employed so am still paying a stamp at the moment. How long has your friend been in Spain?
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:06 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

12 years but she has not worked since they arrived here, her husband was a self employed builder back in the UK.
pwwm
pwwm is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:44 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 400
Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have put this on another forum but not much response ........

It occurs to me that when we move to Spain obviously we won't be covered by the Spanish health system as we're not retirement age. Net result, we will be paying about £200 a month into a private health scheme.

Our villa has two floors, and although the bottom floor is not fitted out yet (just breeze block) it was planned so that it could be let out as a separate holiday let. Separate entrance etc. Now we initially decided to shelve that and live in both parts, but I'm thinking that if we were to let it out for two or three months a year and pay our taxes in Spain then we would be contributing to the system, be registered properly for health cover in Spain, make a bit of money, and save the private health contributions.

Would this be right does anyone know, or do you have to contribute a certain amount per year to qualify, or (as ever) is it nowhere as simple as this.
Hi Mitzy,if you are still in the UK,go to your post office and get an E11 form,I belive this gets you free treatment in any EU national health centres,but not private practices,you can also take out a yearly familly holiday health insurance,quite cheaply with sainsburys.
Douglas jack is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:12 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Hi Mitzy,if you are still in the UK,go to your post office and get an E11 form,I belive this gets you free treatment in any EU national health centres,but not private practices,you can also take out a yearly familly holiday health insurance,quite cheaply with sainsburys.
You can get an E111 by applying on the internet now - it's much less complicated than it was at one time... You get a plastic card instead of a bit of paper and I think it lasts a few years now too.... can't remember what the link is but if you google for E111 I'm sure you will find it.

If I remember right you have to supple either your UK NHS number or your passport number to apply... but check the info whenyou find the website.
cindyp is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:06 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 423
un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your help and advice please

The E111 is now obsolete and didn't apply to those who actually lived in Spain, only those visiting. The E111 form has been replaced by something called the EHIC (similarly, only for visitors) and the application can be made online from this website -

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...793&chk=KCVYDZ

sorry for the long URL, but I hate using the tiny URLs, you can't be sure what you're downloading!
un-mundo is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:01 am
  #10  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Thanks for that ... I keep being told its an E106
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:49 pm
  #11  
Structural Surveyor
 
Hillybilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sevilla/Cordoba border
Posts: 1,048
Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help and advice please

E106 is what you're entitled to if you've been paying NI contributions in the UK right up until the date you leave and it gives you up to 2 years health cover in Spain when you come to LIVE here.
The EHIC (formerly E111) is reciprocal cover for travellers in the EU ie visitors to Spain who don't live here.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thanks for that ... I keep being told its an E106
Hillybilly is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:01 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Your help and advice please

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
E106 is what you're entitled to if you've been paying NI contributions in the UK right up until the date you leave and it gives you up to 2 years health cover in Spain when you come to LIVE here.
The EHIC (formerly E111) is reciprocal cover for travellers in the EU ie visitors to Spain who don't live here.
I am currently having 6 monthly check ups with my oncologist and breast care nurse. Does anyone have experience of this? should I just continue to come back for my checks as if I were still living in UK or or switch over to Spanish care? I imagine I am going to find it hard to get cover insurance wise corncerning my medical history of breast cancer. My annual travel policy does not cover any event connected with that.
Mary
maryg is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.