British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/your-feelings-when-you-moved-back-uk-815482/)

agoreira Nov 27th 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Originally Posted by chopera (Post 11011824)
They're more likely to share the same roof, eat at the same table, and generally make a more efficient use of their resources.

Of course they are, they are forced to, they are skint! Personally I think it's a myth, I'm sure in UK we have all spent thousands on helping out our kids, with their first property, the years at uni etc, the famous Bank of Mum and Dad. Most Spanish kids aren't still living with papi by choice, they have no jobs, no money to set themselves up on their own, no benefits to pay the rent etc. More and more of those that did have a property have found themselves unable to afford a mortgage and moved back in with their parents. 80% of under 30's live with their parents, I bet most of them would love to be in an apartment of their own. The Spanish don't paint such an idyllic picture, they use words like "condemed to", "forced to" etc.
La crisis devuelve a los jóvenes emancipados a casa de sus padres y a las aulas.
El 80% de los jóvenes españoles está condenado a vivir con sus padres.
La crisis 'enjaula' a los jóvenes con sus padres: "En casa sólo entra mi sueldo"
más de 500.000 jóvenes obligados a volver a casa de sus padres desde 2008

cricketman Nov 27th 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 11011881)
Of course they are, they are forced to, they are skint! Personally I think it's a myth, I'm sure in UK we have all spent thousands on helping out our kids, with their first property, the years at uni etc, the famous Bank of Mum and Dad. Most Spanish kids aren't still living with papi by choice, they have no jobs, no money to set themselves up on their own, no benefits to pay the rent etc. More and more of those that did have a property have found themselves unable to afford a mortgage and moved back in with their parents. 80% of under 30's live with their parents, I bet most of them would love to be in an apartment of their own. The Spanish don't paint such an idyllic picture, they use words like "condemed to", "forced to" etc.
La crisis devuelve a los jóvenes emancipados a casa de sus padres y a las aulas.
La crisis 'enjaula' a los jóvenes con sus padres: "En casa sólo entra mi sueldo"

You are more of less correct, although it is more complex than you make out

The point being made is many British parents wouldnt allow their children to move back in with them, they would point them to the nearest benefits office instead

chopera Nov 28th 2013 1:08 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 11011881)

In fact I know quite a few Spaniards who quite happily stay living with their parents until they are in their 30s. Most live with their parents while at uni (unless they have to move to another town) and then they stay there for several years while working so they can save up for that deposit. So no need for student loans and many can save quite a large sum for their first property. It's quite surprising - I've known several Spaniards from apparently very average backgrounds who were able to put down 6 figure sums on their first property. They had been working for at least 5 years and 90% of their pay packet had gone into saving up for a property, while they "lived off their parents". Of course there are many cases where they want to but can't afford to move out, and indeed that may well be the case for the majority these days, but it's hard to draw a general conclusion. It helps that most modern Spaniards live in big cities where there is no need to move out to find work. The notion of having to move out to work at a young age is quite a British thing, which in part stems from the industrial revolution. Something that never fully happened in Spain.

andyrich666 Nov 28th 2013 3:11 am

Originally Posted by chopera (Post 11012026)
In fact I know quite a few Spaniards who quite happily stay living with their parents until they are in their 30s. Most live with their parents while at uni (unless they have to move to another town) and then they stay there for several years while working so they can save up for that deposit. So no need for student loans and many can save quite a large sum for their first property. It's quite surprising - I've known several Spaniards from apparently very average backgrounds who were able to put down 6 figure sums on their first property. They had been working for at least 5 years and 90% of their pay packet had gone into saving up for a property, while they "lived off their parents". Of course there are many cases where they want to but can't afford to move out, and indeed that may well be the case for the majority these days, but it's hard to draw a general conclusion. It helps that most modern Spaniards live in big cities where there is no need to move out to find work. The notion of having to move out to work at a young age is quite a British thing, which in part stems from the industrial revolution. Something that never fully happened in Spain.

There is a Lithuanian couple who live next door to me and they have 3 Generations in the same house, Granny and Gramps in the basement, Kids on the middle floor and Parents (must be 30+) on the top.

I prefer my independence !

agoreira Nov 28th 2013 3:43 am

Originally Posted by chopera (Post 11012026)
. It helps that most modern Spaniards live in big cities where there is no need to move out to find work..

OK, I must have got the the unemployment figures for under 25's wrong, I thought it was 50-60% unemployed, and the 100,000 that moved to UK alone last year, never mind the rest of the world. No need to move out to find work, you can't be serious!:rofl: Of the six Spanish I know near me, including my teacher, all come from Madrid, Valencia or Valladolid, they are city people not paletos.

cricketman Nov 28th 2013 3:48 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 11012203)
OK, I must have got the the unemployment figures for under 25's wrong, I thought it was 50-60%, and the 100,000 that moved to UK alone last year, never mind the rest of the world. No need to move out to find work, you can't be serious!:rofl: Of the six Spanish I know near me, including my teacher, all come from Madrid, Valencia or Valladolid, they are city people not paletos.

Chopera was talking culturally. You can never let a moment pass without having a snipe at Spain can you. About how poor and useless Spaniards are...

I can only imagine how happy you are with your own life, epecially as you feel the need to remind everybody of that "fact" on a regular basis.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 28th 2013 5:28 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11012214)

I can only imagine how happy you are with your own life, epecially as you feel the need to remind everybody of that "fact" on a regular basis.

Ha ha, if ever there was a case of pots and kettles. :lol:

Everything still perfect up there in Paradise by the way ? :rofl:

Porth Nov 28th 2013 5:28 am

Hi Cricketman you and I have locked horns before and I will not move away from a fight. I have spent just seven months this year in Spain and have moved away

The reason as most on this site have seen is the lack of a major medication for my wife fact fact and fact again. But the following influenced me (but not my wife)

This is not the fault of the guys on the street it is the Spanish Govt and its banking system which got it so very wrong. Now you see in Javea and Calpe our Ruse friends with their obviously taxed incomes paying in cash for houses and their fittings. Then of course China bought up so much of Spanish debt that you now see so many Chinese restaurants and bazaars trading at a distinct advantage to the indigenous Spanish?

Then the allegation of illegal houses?

Again a relaxed approach to prostitution and en route to Ondarra the ladies on the road.

Furthermore the barbaric approach to bulls. In Hemingway's day the bulls horns were not shortened. They are today so that the bull does not even know which way to use its horns. Then of course the vocal cords of the horses and their bellies filled with all sorts of things so that the bulls can have a 'go' And then of course the awards of a tail two ears and sometimes a hoof.

Again you could live on the costa's and not even have to speak even a word of English.

This is of course a come on to you to support Spain so lets have the dialogue

cricketman Nov 28th 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Porth (Post 11012319)

A dialogue with you? You have picked such a random number of topics I wouldnt know where to start

Spain isnt perfect, far from it. But as a young family, early 30s with children, we are very happy. We are well paid and have a great lifestyle, and we dont even live in the sun! :D

The main reason I live in Spain is because people are open and friendly. It is a good example for my children and we benefit from it every single day

andyrich666 Nov 28th 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11012559)
A dialogue with you? You have picked such a random number of topics I wouldnt know where to start

Spain isnt perfect, far from it. But as a young family, early 30s with children, we are very happy. We are well paid and have a great lifestyle, and we dont even live in the sun! :D

The main reason I live in Spain is because people are open and friendly. It is a good example for my children and we benefit from it every single day

Is anywhere perfect (apart from London), you make it what you want.

Id never have had you down as early 30's though :thumbup:

Rosemary Nov 28th 2013 6:54 pm

Again you could live on the costa's and not even have to speak even a word of English.

I think that you mean Spanish.

Rosemary

HBG Nov 28th 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Cricketman you and I have locked horns before and I will not move away from a fight. I have spent just seven months this year in Spain and have moved away

The reason as most on this site have seen is the lack of a major medication for my wife fact fact and fact again. But the following influenced me (but not my wife)

This is not the fault of the guys on the street it is the Spanish Govt and its banking system which got it so very wrong. Now you see in Javea and Calpe our Ruse friends with their obviously taxed incomes paying in cash for houses and their fittings. Then of course China bought up so much of Spanish debt that you now see so many Chinese restaurants and bazaars trading at a distinct advantage to the indigenous Spanish?

Again a relaxed approach to prostitution and en route to Ondarra the ladies on the road.

Furthermore the barbaric approach to bulls. In Hemingway's day the bulls horns were not shortened. They are today so that the bull does not even know which way to use its horns. Then of course the vocal cords of the horses and their bellies filled with all sorts of things so that the bulls can have a 'go' And then of course the awards of a tail two ears and sometimes a hoof.

You cannot possibly judge Spain on living in Javea for seven months and the Valencian government's refusal to pay for your wife's necessary medication. Sorry.

And after living in France for many years you would find Spain a very different country.

I did it the opposite way round, I lived and worked in France for around seven months and then moved to Spain which suited me much better in all respects. And at the time I was comparing Provence with Malaga! I still scratch my head thinking about it, but that's exactly how it was.

I suppose when you compare St Tropez with Marbella there isn't that much difference between them, they are both vulgar places full of filthy rich foreigners. I ran a small business to take money from the filthy rich foreigners in both places, legally.

I've now lived in the Valencian community for the past 17 years and am well aware of the shortcomings of a regional government absolutely steeped in corruption, and I've tried my best to keep out of the way of it where possible, which is hard because it's a way of life for most Spanish people.

Most Spanish people? I have to say that's my impression after many years. I can give a tiny example from yesterday.

After a few frustrating days dealing with telefonica and getting nowhere, my wife found a private mobile number of one of their technicians working on the 'side'. Half an hour later our major problem was resolved. For a small fee.

chopera Nov 28th 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 11012203)
OK, I must have got the the unemployment figures for under 25's wrong, I thought it was 50-60% unemployed, and the 100,000 that moved to UK alone last year, never mind the rest of the world. No need to move out to find work, you can't be serious!:rofl: Of the six Spanish I know near me, including my teacher, all come from Madrid, Valencia or Valladolid, they are city people not paletos.

First you were saying that 80% of Spaniards are condemned to live with their parents until their 30s. Now you are saying they are forced to move out.:rolleyes:

Of course some Spanish can't move out because they can't find work, while others decide to move out in order to find work. But in my experience the majority would (and do) prefer to stay living with their parents into their 30s, even when they have work. They try to avoid renting if they can help it and only move out once they have bought somewhere to live.

Rosemary Nov 28th 2013 7:37 pm

In order to have a balance I will tell of my experience. My husband and I bought a house in the Valencian province in 2004 after intensive research. We moved here permanently in 2006 and began to renovate our house. In 2009 my husband became ill and had to have tests, the surgeon told him that he needed an urgent very expensive operation. We told him that we were not temporary but full residents and he immediately without hesitation said that this was good as we would not have to pay. Graham lived for a further 31 months during which time he cost the health service an awful lot on money as he had two expensive operations, extremely long hospital stays and his needs were so complex that I could not hazard a guess at the total medical costs. His prescriptions over that time was costing them a minimum of 200 euros a month. His final days were in intensive care where they never queried keeping him alive with drugs and machines even though it was obvious that they were not going to succeed.

Rosemary

cricketman Nov 28th 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by chopera (Post 11012962)
First you were saying that 80% of Spaniards are condemned to live with their parents until their 30s. Now you are saying they are forced to move out.:rolleyes:

Of course some Spanish can't move out because they can't find work, while others decide to move out in order to find work. But in my experience the majority would (and do) prefer to stay living with their parents into their 30s, even when they have work. They try to avoid renting if they can help it and only move out once they have bought somewhere to live.

Of course, you are right

I have always been told that I am throwing money away by renting

I reply that they are throwing away money by buying especially as my rent is half as much as the mortgage would be.

Spaniards hate renting even more than the British do