British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/your-feelings-when-you-moved-back-uk-815482/)

paintermujer Nov 18th 2013 2:47 pm

Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

I guess this should be on the moving back forum but Id like to ask here because I am talking about leaving Spain.

I know there are others on here who have done it and Id like for them to share their feelings, memories..anything really.

Im going through so many emotions at the moment and in general they are not good.

Please share your happy/sad memories when it was time to go.

Chiclanagir Nov 18th 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Where are you from? Are you thinking of moving back to the same place? I do think people´s lives are cyclical and there comes a time when they need to change whether it is their job, their house, OH or their country.

For me I am not unhappy in Spain but I do yearn for more time with my family back in the UK. Since moving here 10 years ago we now have 3 grandchildren and another due any day literally and I feel that time is moving on and I will never get that back again.

agoreira Nov 18th 2013 3:29 pm

I can remember PM telling us she was from Plymouth area and how she absolutely hated it, so perhaps she's found somewhere nicer.

jojojojojo Nov 18th 2013 4:03 pm

I moved back 2 years ago, due to kids ages and education, husbands commute etc. I dont think I'll ever get over the sorrow. Its getting better now, but I miss Spain so much. I find myself going to bed at night, closing my eyes and pretending I'm still there. I wake up in the morning and pray that when I open my eyes, I'll be there........ but no. My only solace is that I'm with my family and they're happy. I do find things easier to navigate in the UK - simply down to the language and the familiar culture.

The first few weeks, I wouldnt leave the house, I cried and moped around. In the end my husband almost forced me to get a job, which did help and today, I have two jobs and spend my time either working or at home. Life goes on and I have to make the best of it. I tell myself that I was so lucky to have spent 4 wonderful years in Spain, but all things have to end. I do see that moving back to the UK was our only choice. We do visit friends there, but as silly as it sounds, I dont like visiting - I want to live there and visit the UK

Maybe one day, we'll retire back there

Jo xxx

jackytoo Nov 18th 2013 4:11 pm

You are bound to miss some things. I miss lunch on the beach a couple of times a week:D It will be different for everyone and their reasons for leaving.I felt euphoric to have sold and got out. It must be sad to have to leave when you don't want to:(

crookesey Nov 18th 2013 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 10996503)
I moved back 2 years ago, due to kids ages and education, husbands commute etc. I dont think I'll ever get over the sorrow. Its getting better now, but I miss Spain so much. I find myself going to bed at night, closing my eyes and pretending I'm still there. I wake up in the morning and pray that when I open my eyes, I'll be there........ but no. My only solace is that I'm with my family and they're happy. I do find things easier to navigate in the UK - simply down to the language and the familiar culture.

The first few weeks, I wouldnt leave the house, I cried and moped around. In the end my husband almost forced me to get a job, which did help and today, I have two jobs and spend my time either working or at home. Life goes on and I have to make the best of it. I tell myself that I was so lucky to have spent 4 wonderful years in Spain, but all things have to end. I do see that moving back to the UK was our only choice. We do visit friends there, but as silly as it sounds, I dont like visiting - I want to live there and visit the UK

Jo xxx

Well if you had sold up in the UK and bought in Spain at the top of the market, you would now be between a rock and a hard place. I always thought that you did fantastically well to juggle your UK and Spanish lives, at least you tried it.

jojojojojo Nov 18th 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 10996518)
Well if you had sold up in the UK and bought in Spain at the top of the market, you would now be between a rock and a hard place. I always thought that you did fantastically well to juggle your UK and Spanish lives, at least you tried it.

Thankfully we couldnt sell the UK place at the time, so we rented it out and rented in Spain - phew!! Yes, we'd be in a mess now if it had happened. Altho, maybe if we had have sold, we/they would have tried harder in Spain???? - nah, thats just my tired old argument, when I feel down. We did the right things at the right time. Sadly the recession started just as we arrived in Spain. That was our downfall, exchange rates dipped, husband couldnt migrate his business, had to stay with it more in the UK. My daughter never did settle, she hated the heat, the insects, the dust, the beaches, the spanish (they simply werent "cool" enough for her!!!).....

Jo xxx

Mitzyboy Nov 18th 2013 6:27 pm

People tend to forget that if you bought 7 or 8 years ago, even with the devaluation in property prices in Spain, the rates of exchange changed considerably. So what was bought at €1.50 - €1.55 is being sold at €1.10 - €1.20. If you are going back to the UK that make a huge difference.

For us, like J2 I miss the long cheap lunches but overall I'm quite happy we came back to the UK. We always juggled between the UK and Spain and never intended to stay there forever.

It's nice to be able to pop down the road and see my daughter or sister whenever I feel like it. Family is important.

The weather ... well, we had a good year up to now in the UK but its getting around to winter ... the nice part is, we can go back to Spain whenever we like and in our area we know the places to rent, and the restaurants to frequent :-)

stuboy Nov 19th 2013 12:02 am

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 10996400)
I guess this should be on the moving back forum but Id like to ask here because I am talking about leaving Spain.

I know there are others on here who have done it and Id like for them to share their feelings, memories..anything really.

Im going through so many emotions at the moment and in general they are not good.

Please share your happy/sad memories when it was time to go.

I suppose a lot depends on whether you want to leave Spain (for whatever reason) or have to leave (for whatever reason)

Jojo's post struck a chord vis a vis divided loyalties.

paintermujer Nov 19th 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 10996503)

Jo xxx

I know I will feel the same way having already done it twice already but this will be an epic change after 4 years and 3 months.The OH is happy to go but even he has cold feet at times.My daughter and I arent really dealing with it all very well.She has her friends and her life here and so do I.I cant even imagine waking up in the morning and not being here but the days are passing and the end of next week my spanish life will be no more.

One consolation is that I will have my eldest daughter back again and since we left she has had her own baby so I have a little granddaughter 6 months old to get to know.

And yes we are going back to the Muff..god forbid but thats where my daughter is so for now I will have to lump it somehow...I have always felt as if I am on the end of a yoyo with regards to that place...or a magnet which pulls me back.

Chiclanagir Nov 19th 2013 9:32 am

Why don´t you go back to Devon but somewhere else, i.e. Exeter.

paintermujer Nov 19th 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10997720)
Why don´t you go back to Devon but somewhere else, i.e. Exeter.

If Im going back then I want to be near my daughter.She and her partner opened a vegan restaurant a few months back so she is always very busy and I want to help with babysitting etc to make life easier for her.I also owe my mum too.She never wanted us to go.

Nowhere in the UK will compensate for what Im leaving behind.

rspltd Nov 19th 2013 10:25 am

If that's how you feel then I suspect that will be your reality. They tell me you can like Big Brother if you try hard enough.

Chiclanagir Nov 19th 2013 10:40 am

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 10997749)
If Im going back then I want to be near my daughter.She and her partner opened a vegan restaurant a few months back so she is always very busy and I want to help with babysitting etc to make life easier for her.I also owe my mum too.She never wanted us to go.

Nowhere in the UK will compensate for what Im leaving behind.

Well if being near to your daughter, Mum and getting to see your granddaughter don´t compensate I don´t know what will.

paintermujer Nov 19th 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10997776)
Well if being near to your daughter, Mum and getting to see your granddaughter don´t compensate I don´t know what will.

Thats why were going back to Plymouth.