As you were.

Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default As you were.

Another four years.

No change.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: As you were.

Isn't there a huge change? As in ridiculously enormous urbanisations, property prices falling, and Northern Europeans staying away from the property market?

All so very predictable. I'm glad I don't want to sell!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:23 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Another four years.

No change.
I'm originally from Spain but now live in the US, I was so shocked when I got a package to vote a couple of weeks ago.. I still can't believe that 4 years have gone by since the last general elections, they have really flown by!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering whether there was going to be a thread about the election!

I'm not very knowledgeable about politics either in Spain or in the UK; but these two links HERE and HERE might be interesting reading on a pretty basic level.

(I think the articles come across as being a bit biased towards the PSOE - or maybe it just seems like that because they are the winning party? After all, this is from the BBC!! )

I had a very interesting "conversation" with a 10 year old boy in our village a few days ago. (He was doing most of the talking!)
He asked me who I was going to vote for; so I explained I'm not eligible to vote in the General election.
However, he went on to advise me very seriously, that if I could vote, then he recommended the PSOE (or "The Reds"), as opposed to the PP (or "The Blues") because the PP would only help rich people!!
Bless him, I wonder how he'll vote in 8 years' time?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:16 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
I was wondering whether there was going to be a thread about the election!......
We too.

Do you not think that it is not strange that, here in Spain, Europeans cannot vote in national elections. We know this is a EU law. But third (or more) generation of expat Spanish, that say live in South America, can.
We live here but they have usually no intention to live in this country.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:27 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
We too.

Do you not think that it is not strange that, here in Spain, Europeans cannot vote in national elections. We know this is a EU law. But third (or more) generation of expat Spanish, that say live in South America, can.
We live here but they have usually no intention to live in this country.
That never made sense to me either, what's the point in voting in Spain while I live here? We should be allowed to vote in the country where we are residents. In England I did use to vote on the local elections, I think under EU law we are allowed to vote on local and European elections..
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
That never made sense to me either, what's the point in voting in Spain while I live here? We should be allowed to vote in the country where we are residents. In England I did use to vote on the local elections, I think under EU law we are allowed to vote on local and European elections..

This situation has baffled me for a long time.
I lived in UK for over 30 years and I always received voting papers from my country of birth. During 30 years away the names of the parties changed so much that I don't even know which party represents what.
Every party puts up a list of approx. 25 candidates from whom you may choose.
How do they expect me (and others in a similar position) to choose for a particular candidate?
And voting is compulsory!
However, I lived and worked in UK for 30 years + and I was allowed to pay taxes and NI but not vote!

And as someone else here already mentioned, second and third generations in other countries (South Africa etc.etc) are allowed to vote in UK elections.

As I said, a baffling situation.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
I lived in UK for over 30 years and I always received voting papers from my country of birth. During 30 years away the names of the parties changed so much that I don't even know which party represents what.
How do they expect me (and others in a similar position) to choose for a particular candidate?
However, I lived and worked in UK for 30 years + and I was allowed to pay taxes and NI but not vote!

And as someone else here already mentioned, second and third generations in other countries (South Africa etc.etc) are allowed to vote in UK elections.

It looks like we are only allowed to vote in the general elections of our country of citizenship, but this leaves me with another question.. If eventually I become a US citizen I would obviously hold on to my Spanish passport too, would I be allowed to vote in both countries?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex-pat

I think it's partly due to 'The Empire', people who are from Commonwealth countries have, or had, a lot more rights, including those of voting. In the EU, you can only vote in local or European elections unless yopu are a citizen, or a citizen of former colonies, which most of South America was, moirroring the UK position.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like we are only allowed to vote in the general elections of our country of citizenship, but this leaves me with another question.. If eventually I become a US citizen I would obviously hold on to my Spanish passport too, would I be allowed to vote in both countries?
Check to see if the Spanish do postal votes.

From this it would appear so ..

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aqPGdmZm.afQ
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Check to see if the Spanish do postal votes.

From this it would appear so ..

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aqPGdmZm.afQ
Yes, I know I can vote in Spain (that's where I'm a citizen!) my question is: If I was a US citizen would I be able to vote in both countries? Or am I wrongly assuming that if I hold a US passport that makes me a citizen?.. I'm starting to confuse myself with all this ..
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know I can vote in Spain (that's where I'm a citizen!) my question is: If I was a US citizen would I be able to vote in both countries? Or am I wrongly assuming that if I hold a US passport that makes me a citizen?.. I'm starting to confuse myself with all this ..
Yes you can vote anywhere you are a citizen..unless the counrty excludes postal votes
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes you can vote anywhere you are a citizen..unless the counrty excludes postal votes
Thanks!!