yet another.

Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:52 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default yet another.

We've seen that the figure as to how much water you should drink in a day was chosen on a basis that bears little or no relevance to normal people living normal lives.

We've seen that the 5 a day campaign again, was a number plucked out of the air.

Now I hear this morning that the same thing applies to the amount of alcohol you should drink.

Apparantly one of the people involved in that has admitted that the figure was not based on evidence, but again was plucked out of the air.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:58 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yet another.

They are now saying that salt may be ok. too, and dare I say...climate change views are changing.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
They are now saying that salt may be ok. too, and dare I say...climate change views are changing.
We were amazed when OH was allowed food in the hospital to find that they included two little sachets of salt with every meal, including breakfast and merienda.

Rosemary
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:13 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There you go. Isn't all this tho a classic case of the nanny state enforcers creating their own set of rules that don't gell with reality, and people with common sense.

I don't know about you, but I season with a pinch of salt, I drink when I'm thirsty, (and it works pretty well going by colour, if you know what I mean. I never look down and go 'Hmmmm. Dark orange. I wonder why that is,,,,?)

I have a couple of glasses of wine of an evening, maybe a whisky, and a tin of beer at lunch if I'm not going out.

Climate change? The fact that it isn't changing is interesting. Most people assume that this means that the science is wrong, but it isn't. CO2 warms, and the sun has gone into a cool phase, so the two have cancelled out.

What concerns me is what happens when the sun warms up again? We can't rely on it to stay cool forever.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We were amazed when OH was allowed food in the hospital to find that they included two little sachets of salt with every meal, including breakfast and merienda.

Rosemary
As an aside I was given two tostado biscuits, sachets of olive oil and sachets of salt.
Trouble is I have become quite addicted to them, quite delicious.
I believe it is because salt is seen as a healer.

Graham
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside I was given two tostado biscuits, sachets of olive oil and sachets of salt.
Trouble is I have become quite addicted to them, quite delicious.
I believe it is because salt is seen as a healer.

Graham
When in the Far East I used to be told to take a salt tablet daily, similar conditions apply in the summer 2 months in Spain but no similar recommendations that I have heard

Do you take any extra salt in that time ?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:27 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
When in the Far East I used to be told to take a salt tablet daily, similar conditions apply in the summer 2 months in Spain but no similar recommendations that I have heard

I wouldn't. I think the salt tablet thing is unecessary, as the salt in food is usually enough. If you needed more salt, put an extra pinch in your food. Again, I'd look up the symptoms of low salt. I doubt many people have really suffered from it.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:31 pm

I don´t but in truth I am now consuming more salt than I ever did. The strange thing about my hospital food, written across the top was diabetic which means that I need to consume less salt not more. Never did figure it out.
Back in my young days working at a company that had a foundry the temperature often reached 130+F, I was maintenance heaven only knows how the guys working there coped. They were provided with salt tablets and orange juice every hour on the hour.

Graham.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I don´t but in truth I am now consuming more salt than I ever did. The strange thing about my hospital food, written across the top was diabetic which means that I need to consume less salt not more. Never did figure it out.
Back in my young days working at a company that had a foundry the temperature often reached 130+F, I was maintenance heaven only knows how the guys working there coped. They were provided with salt tablets and orange juice every hour on the hour.

Graham.
I spend alot of time reading labels to ensure the minimum of salt\sodium due to high blood pressure
http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/p...FUEa4Qod_Xnj6Q

in my younger days worked for a temperature control co, as product mgr for thermocouples I had to visit such places as foundaries and deep freezes. Abbatoir was the worst.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:46 pm

I spend alot of time reading labels to ensure the minimum of salt\sodium due to high blood pressure
http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/p...FUEa4Qod_Xnj6Q

Abbatoir was the worst.
Oh boy yes, and remember the pubs next to the abbatoirs, the guys turned up dripping blood and ate their sandwiches and drank their beer, I don´t ever remember them washing their hands, bit like Spain really. The Cricketers next to the Sheffield abbatoir still used sawdust on the floor in the mid seventies. Not that long ago really. When I became an apprentice electrician I never expected to see half the sights I eventually saw.

Graham
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I wouldn't. I think the salt tablet thing is unecessary, as the salt in food is usually enough. If you needed more salt, put an extra pinch in your food. Again, I'd look up the symptoms of low salt. I doubt many people have really suffered from it.
when my younger dd was maybe 3 years old, she started getting really nasty pains in her legs, similar to cramp

one question the doctor asked me was about salt in her diet

apparently many parents were pretty much eliminating salt from their kids diets & some were suffering muscle & nerve problems

I was one of the few mums she knew who actually allowed her kids to eat crisps & did use salt in cooking

in my doc's opinion too little or no salt in the diet was just as potentially harmful as too much
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Let's remember that TOO MUCH salt MIGHT increase your blood pressure which MIGHT give you a stroke/heart attack which MIGHT kill you.

It seems to me that there is very little certainty in that sentence!

Oh - and anyone who says that they can cook without salt and that it doesn't affect the taste is kidding themselves!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
Let's remember that TOO MUCH salt MIGHT increase your blood pressure which MIGHT give you a stroke/heart attack which MIGHT kill you.

It seems to me that there is very little certainty in that sentence!

Oh - and anyone who says that they can cook without salt and that it doesn't affect the taste is kidding themselves!
where is the uncertainty in that sentence - it looks just about right to cover everything we know about salt and medicine until the next medical scare comes along - to be debunked 6m later. The name of the game, as with many things is moderation.

ISTR that there is more than enough salt in a tin of baked beans to meet the daily needs - what with adding salt here, sugar there, coloring whenever., just to get a taste\look as defined as "what the customer wants" when in fact it is more "what we want to give them". Food fads normally come from the producer not the consumer.

I don't EVER add salt when cooking - as discussed in depth in another thread, I believe in all components in a meal complimenting each other. Salt, like spices adds something that isn;t there and deflects the taste buds from the true taste. If someone wants it then should be available on the side to ruin their own taste buds not everyone elses..

but then what do I know..............
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:30 pm

I don't EVER add salt when cooking - as discussed in depth in another thread, I believe in all components in a meal complimenting each other. Salt, like spices adds something that isn;t there and deflects the taste buds from the true taste. If someone wants it then should be available on the side to ruin their own taste buds not everyone elses..

I never add salt to my cooking either so really notice it when we eat out or eat any manufactured foods. The vast majority of our food though is cooked fresh from locally bought produce.

I tend to get bad cramp in my legs if I have been forced to eat out a lot. For example with this last 16 days stint in the hospital I resorted to the canteen food most of the time rather than drive home, this meant that I had a lot of problems in the night with cramp. They tend to say that too little salt gives you cramp but for me it is the opposite.

Rosemary
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

where is the uncertainty in that sentence - it looks just about right to cover everything we know about salt and medicine until the next medical scare comes along - to be debunked 6m later. The name of the game, as with many things is moderation.

ISTR that there is more than enough salt in a tin of baked beans to meet the daily needs - what with adding salt here, sugar there, coloring whenever., just to get a taste\look as defined as "what the customer wants" when in fact it is more "what we want to give them". Food fads normally come from the producer not the consumer.

you cook pasta without salt.....eew

I use herbs & spices - salt is just one of them

I do get annoyed when people just sprinkle salt all over everything without even tasting first

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.