Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The years go by......

The years go by......

Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:13 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default The years go by......

......and we can't do a lot about getting old.
Grey hair, no hair, more wrinkles and lines, we certainly ain't as fit as we were, our waistlines expand etc etc.
But what about mentally?
I'm 53 and mentally I don't really feel a lot different to when I was 25. I still like to have a laugh and a joke, I approach things with an open mind, and my outlook on life has never changed.
But when I look around at the majority of my generation they seem to have morphed into old people. They dress like old people (in the Summer the image seems to be modelled on Kenneth Williams in Carry on Camping), they act like old people, they even think like old people. They fart about whinging and whining over totally irrelevant and insignicant things, and if you're ever stuck in a conversation with them, they're so pedantic and boring that even glass eyes fall asleep.
While I've stayed the same.....most of my generation have turned into a cross between their parents' generation and the Richard Briers character in "Ever Decreasing Circles".

Thirty years ago I was pretty much the same as everybody else.....now I feel I'm the last man standing out of the generation that changed the world.
Don't feel the same? The odds are you're one of them then!

If you're going to reply.....please don't be boring!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: The years go by......

Dunno, I'm only 24

It's funny to see how my Dad has changed over the years. He does seem to be morphing into a grumpier person. He also seems to be getting less tolerant. Ahead 30 years, my grandad. I wonder if my Dad will turn into my Grandad and if I will then turn into my Dad
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:45 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

god you can moan Pete!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

I just wonder where the saying "aging gracefully" fits into this thread?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:06 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by XTreme
Grey hair, no hair, more wrinkles and lines, we certainly ain't as fit as we were, our waistlines expand etc etc.
But what about mentally?
I'm 53 and mentally I don't really feel a lot different to when I was 25. I still like to have a laugh and a joke, I approach things with an open mind, and my outlook on life has never changed.
But when I look around at the majority of my generation they seem to have morphed into old people. They dress like old people (in the Summer the image seems to be modelled on Kenneth Williams in Carry on Camping), they act like old people, they even think like old people. They fart about whinging and whining over totally irrelevant and insignicant things, and if you're ever stuck in a conversation with them, they're so pedantic and boring that even glass eyes fall asleep.
While I've stayed the same.....most of my generation have turned into a cross between their parents' generation and the Richard Briers character in "Ever Decreasing Circles".

Thirty years ago I was pretty much the same as everybody else.....now I feel I'm the last man standing out of the generation that changed the world.

You should meet my OH, he is 57 and still young in looks, his mind and the way he dresses Its all down to me keeping him young
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
You could do bugger all gracefully!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
You should meet my OH, he is 57 and still young in looks, his mind and the way he dresses Its all down to me keeping him young
Sounds like me, but I go to the carboot for meself.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I intend to grow old disgracefully!

Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:12 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Well we are both the big 50 next year, and we still act like we are in our 20s both grandparents and laughing about it LOL
An example last in May we were on one of trips back, we took our grandson out with the eldest daughter who is 31, well i was running to catch the baby he was running about like a mad one, when this lady who was probally 10 years older than me said to me I remeber when my children were little like that such fun, my daughter in her usual manner said, "he is my son not theres there his grandparents". Now this has been the norm throughout her life because i was always thought of as her elder sister funny and my OH is the same, age is a state of mind.
I was married to an old man one that thought old and became old,
AGE IS A STATE OF MIND.
think young and you wil be young
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

squelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura about

my mum is 63 yrs young, on Saturday my daughter had a ice-skating party for her 9th birthday we had 18 kids invited so needed lots of adult support, my mother was first to offer help. Many of the other kids mums were saying how young my mum is and they hope they are as agile as her at that age. My mum could of given Jane Torvill a run for her money
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

Originally Posted by XTreme
But what about mentally?

Heh!! We're in our mid fifties and still act as we did in our twenties/thirties. I may have less hair, but it's still half way down my back and the wife still dresses like she just returned from a trek in India. We still listen to the likes of Hendrix, CCR andother wild people at pretty ear blistering volume. We go on crazy 4 wheeling trips and get our kidneys battered, we go drinking and get our livers and kidneys battered and I'll admit to the curly smoke thing. We both do the gym thing, eat whatever we like and generally try not to act our age. I will admit that I am a bit not so open minded anymore, but if it isn't directly affecting me, why should I care, assuming that it isn't life threatening/dangerous towards others. This is our life and we are going to live it the way we want and not by someone else's perception of how it should be. Good for all of you that don't age gracefully....live your life to the max.

Firtreesix
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firtreesix
Heh!! We're in our mid fifties and still act as we did in our twenties/thirties. I may have less hair, but it's still half way down my back and the wife still dresses like she just returned from a trek in India. We still listen to the likes of Hendrix, CCR andother wild people at pretty ear blistering volume. We go on crazy 4 wheeling trips and get our kidneys battered, we go drinking and get our livers and kidneys battered and I'll admit to the curly smoke thing. We both do the gym thing, eat whatever we like and generally try not to act our age. I will admit that I am a bit not so open minded anymore, but if it isn't directly affecting me, why should I care, assuming that it isn't life threatening/dangerous towards others. This is our life and we are going to live it the way we want and not by someone else's perception of how it should be. Good for all of you that don't age gracefully....live your life to the max.

Firtreesix

Good on Ya...you are as old as you feel, enjoy life to the full, go for it!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:58 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you something......have you noticed that the people who live to a ripe old age all seem to have kept a youthful mind? They've stayed active longer, and still seem to have that "spark".
What can we learn from this? Being a sad, boring bastard is hazardous to your heath!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It is about having an open mind, trying new experiences, not being afraid to have a go at something different. Some people are well settled and have their life mapped out at 25, and by 30 have closed their minds to change.

My own parents are 70 and two weeks ago were exploring the west coast of Ireland and struggling to find accommodation one evening, and were not in the least bit phased by the thought of spending the night in the car if need be.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firtreesix

Firtreesix
That's interesting - well to me at least - You're in your 50's and dress like you did in your 20's, and listen to the music you did in your 20's- isn't that exactly how your parents dressed and jived in their 50s???

If you were truly young, you'd be wearing - ??? well whatever is fashionable today surely?? and listening to R&B??

Just my take on things - You stuffy old git, lose the afgan, and choke the toke Man!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.