Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ya.com or is it Nah.com?

Ya.com or is it Nah.com?

Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

peterthepainter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Ya.com or is it Nah.com?

A few people have been here before I think, but now it's my turn to get a load of promises from Ya.com, that they can deliver what Telefonica cannot, so should I believe them?

I currently have the Ambito Rural service in Calpe. I am about 2km out of Calpe town where full ADSL is available, but Telefonica have repeatedly told me that my line is of insufficient quality and Ambito Rural is all I can have.

Apparently Ambito Rural is satellite broadband from Telefonica, so there must be a dish somewhere local and it's routered in with my voice line.

I don't doubt that Ya ADSL will work, but speed is the issue. My 512kbps AR is good and I always get over 50kB per sec download (I reckon 80% of the theoretical maximum 64kB per second - based on 8 bits = 1Byte).

I have a friend who is a further half km out of Calpe and he has 1Mbps from Ya.com but downloads around 35kB per second - or around 30% of his theoretical maximum. I wonder if this is in fact the lines maximum, and upgrading to 3Mbps would still only produce the same speed?

Ya.com are now offering a package including the line rental, all national calls and 3Mbps ADSL plus free wifi router and kitchen sink e.t.c. for half what I currently pay. They claim that with the line they have control of the technology at both ends now, and that their technology is better than TF's, who don't care about the little man end user.

Ya.com say I can try them out, and they'll take it out if I'm not happy. But let's face it, if TF disconnect my satellite link and I ask them to reconnect it again later, it'll cost ME!

Any advice or relevant experiences much appreciated.

Pete.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ya.com or is it Nah.com?

I had a similar offer today for 10mb for 25€, 9,99 for first 2 months, free router, free instalation and swop over in a week. yeah right.
I still not had 3 from Telefonica yet, so how do they reckon they can get 3 times that ?

See extreme`s thread in Siesta time.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that I would look at their site as, up here anyway, they are cable providers, not adsl which would explain the speed issue.
Lo and behold, I can't access their site at all, looks like it's down.
Also, just sticking them in Google brings up quite a few unhappy customers throughout Spain. Obviously they are just like all the rest!
Tim
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got rural ADSL ...... TF told me I could only have 512 18 months ago when we connected.

The next door neighbour has a 1 mb connection through Europa! I've resisted the temptation also because I'm scared to lose what I've got
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ive got rural ADSL ...... TF told me I could only have 512 18 months ago when we connected.

The next door neighbour has a 1 mb connection through Europa!
Similar situation to me Mitzyboy. Do you know if your neighbour has a good service?

For anyone who doesn't know, Ambito Rural is supplied by Telfonica in order to meet EU broadband provision legislation, but is charged at a premium because it is intended for 'rural' locations where there is no infastructure. However Calpe is hardly 'rural' but of course it makes TF a clandestine monopoly for me.

The paradox for Telefonica is that if they spend out to improve my line, they will have to reduce my bill for a better service, plus give me the option to use another provider! So why would they?

When I call 1004 at TF and ask about upgrade they say "we are constantly improving our infastructure - call back in another month and perhaps things will be better".

It's now 4 years since my first request, and over 2 years with Ambito Rural!

I would be interested though to hear from a technical waller about this supposition that Ya have spent xmillion Euros on new technology which is better than what TF use. Perhaps there is technology which can overcome line problems? Clearly TF own the lines so they would not buy such technology. If TF want to spend, it would be to renew the line structure.

I think also (though I'm no expert) that a bad line such as mine is largely due to combinations of old and new, analogue and digital, hardware between my house and the exchange. Therefore traffic may have to modulate and de-modulate several times en-route. Is there software available that can theoretically improve that?

Does anyone know if this is just good old fashioned bullsh*t from Ya.com?

Pete.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterthepainter
Similar situation to me Mitzyboy. Do you know if your neighbour has a good service?
The service is excellent, yes

I'm sure that Ya.com has been bought up here before and that I was told not to touch them with a bargepole, but I cant find anything in search
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:19 am
Senior Moment

Ah found it .... see Darrens post on here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=ya+adsl
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ah found it .... see Darrens post on here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=ya+adsl
Yeah, I did read this thread earlier, but things change so it may be different now.

Most notably this business of (to quote Ya.com sales) "their control over the line and therefore the technology at both ends, makes it better now"

It seems to me, the only likely difference with Ya.com billing me for the line is in the accounts department, and has no bearing on telephony hardware or software anywhere?

Has anyone out there ever achieved even the equivalent of a 512kbps connection from another provider, on a voice line that Telefonica deemed to be unsuitable?

If so I might just risk it!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

A friend has just pointed me to this site for checking internet speeds

http://www.speedtest.net

But the interesting part are the results that can be checked for almost any area / town, for example peterthepainter here is Calpe

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...128&city=41626

Not a lot of choice.

But in Valencia

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...=128&city=2578

Or Denia

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...=128&city=5142

Take your choice
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
A friend has just pointed me to this site for checking internet speeds

http://www.speedtest.net

But the interesting part are the results that can be checked for almost any area / town, for example peterthepainter here is Calpe

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...128&city=41626

Not a lot of choice.

But in Valencia

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...=128&city=2578

Or Denia

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...=128&city=5142

Take your choice
Thats not based on ISP in the area, Its based on who has tested on speedtest.net etc, so Its not really a good pointer. Its only people who are bothered by there speed who go there, the majority like yourself had you not heard about it by your friend would aswell not even know about it.

you cant go by that at all
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Thats not based on ISP in the area, Its based on who has tested on speedtest.net etc, so Its not really a good pointer. Its only people who are bothered by there speed who go there, the majority like yourself had you not heard about it by your friend would aswell not even know about it.

you cant go by that at all
It at least gives you an idea of ISP's in your area and the reported speeds as against their advertised speeds.

Where I live it only shows Telefonica and ONO and although the ONO cable passes by my gate I cannot get conected to it.
The ONO result is twice as fast as the telefonica one which shows to be slightly slower than my normal test speed.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It at least gives you an idea of ISP's in your area and the reported speeds as against their advertised speeds.

Where I live it only shows Telefonica and ONO and although the ONO cable passes by my gate I cannot get conected to it.
The ONO result is twice as fast as the telefonica one which shows to be slightly slower than my normal test speed.
I dont see how, I dont want to be too negative but Where I live it only shows BT as the only ISP, but as you know in the UK there are hundreds of ISP,

It has some good points if used right and the amount of people close have tested against you, you can compare to others in a radius.

A lot of people dont really understand how to use it, A woman posted here a few days ago from Telefonica and she tested it on a UK Server when Telewest have there own wholesale server in Madrid so it showed a result which was meaningless even though it was pretty impressive
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Also bear in mind that if you have the Telefonica Ambito Rural service, then you're not currently connected to the net with the normal voice line. Any testing therefore is pointless until connected with the standard line as proposed by Ya.com by which time it's too late!

Catch 22
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: Nah to Yah.com!

Another interesting development in my possible aquisition of ADSL from Ya.com

Bearing in mind that up until now, none of their sales people appeared to have even heard of Ambito Rural, let alone know what it is, which has not filled me with confidence about their promises!

After yet another telephone call from Ya.com to confirm my details and offer to send a contract for my signature the conversation, in a nutshell, went something like this:

Ya: "Any further questions sir"

Me: "Well I'm still unhappy about what you're offering me, bearing in mind that so many other providers, including Telefonica, tell me my line is not good enough. You understand that I currently have Ambito Rural? Do you know what that is?"

Ya: "Yes sir, I do. Would you like to hold on a minute..."

Me:

Ya: "Well sir, in view of that I think it best if we say we can't help you at this time with ADSL.

The truth is some of our sales people are a little over-optimistic about what we can give to customers, but our technical people know differently"

Maybe if you can get back in contact at a later date when the line is better, we can help you".

So my mind is made up for me! Sounds rather as if they may be getting some grief back a Ya.com Technical Department from all those Ambito Rural surfers who have dropped the service in favour of promises which could not be met!

Interesting.
Pete
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nah to Yah.com!

Originally Posted by peterthepainter
Another interesting development in my possible aquisition of ADSL from Ya.com

Bearing in mind that up until now, none of their sales people appeared to have even heard of Ambito Rural, let alone know what it is, which has not filled me with confidence about their promises!

After yet another telephone call from Ya.com to confirm my details and offer to send a contract for my signature the conversation, in a nutshell, went something like this:

Ya: "Any further questions sir"

Me: "Well I'm still unhappy about what you're offering me, bearing in mind that so many other providers, including Telefonica, tell me my line is not good enough. You understand that I currently have Ambito Rural? Do you know what that is?"

Ya: "Yes sir, I do. Would you like to hold on a minute..."

Me:

Ya: "Well sir, in view of that I think it best if we say we can't help you at this time with ADSL.

The truth is some of our sales people are a little over-optimistic about what we can give to customers, but our technical people know differently"

Maybe if you can get back in contact at a later date when the line is better, we can help you".

So my mind is made up for me! Sounds rather as if they may be getting some grief back a Ya.com Technical Department from all those Ambito Rural surfers who have dropped the service in favour of promises which could not be met!

Interesting.
Pete
Like I said in post 2. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.