Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Xmas shopping in Spain

Xmas shopping in Spain

Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas shopping in Spain

Just wondering how many of you find exactly what you are looking for and at the right price.

Ive got to admit that very little of my shopping is done in spain but purchased online.I wish I could give the revenue to local businesses.

I find that online prices which even have to include postage can work out cheaper than if I buy it here.Either that or it simply dosent exist.

Anyone else having the same problems?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas shopping in Spain

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Just wondering how many of you find exactly what you are looking for and at the right price.

Ive got to admit that very little of my shopping is done in spain but purchased online.I wish I could give the revenue to local businesses.

I find that online prices which even have to include postage can work out cheaper than if I buy it here.Either that or it simply dosent exist.

Anyone else having the same problems?
Buying online appears to be the way a lot of people are going now no matter where you live. It is easy to see how costs are cut without the expense of high street premises and staff, it also tends to be a more automated operation cutting out staff salaries. The biggest problem is using your credit card online, so many people think that they are safe because they have something such as Norton or any other antivirus program.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 11th 2011 at 12:07 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy .... I don't do christmas shopping
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Easy .... I don't do christmas shopping
Neither do I.

Rosemary
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think our 10 year old would appreciate no xmas presents!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I dont think our 10 year old would appreciate no xmas presents!
Totally agree with you. We are responding as people without young children living in Spain.

What sort of things are you looking at this year for her? I think that 10 to 13 year olds are possibly the hardest age group to buy for.

Rosemary
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:40 pm
ĀæDĆ³nde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Totally agree with you. We are responding as people without young children living in Spain.

What sort of things are you looking at this year for her? I think that 10 to 13 year olds are possibly the hardest age group to buy for.

Rosemary
both my 12 & 15 year old tend to say 'I dunno' when asked - until about a week before

then they usually want the latest electronic something or other
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rosemary
Anything horsey.

She loves art and craft type gifts so things to keep her occupied on cold winter days.I dont buy useless stocking fillers anymore.

Clothes.English chapter books,my little pony. And she wants a drawing tablet.Shes getting very good at drawing.

All depends on how good she is!!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The difference in spain is the fact that you dont have xmas shoved down your throat every second.There are no gift idea catalogues so I think expectations are less and appreciation is more than if you are surrounded by it and everyone trying to outdo eachother.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem is using your credit card online, so many people think that they are safe because they have something such as Norton or any other antivirus program.

Graham
Who says they are not safe?

You are a thousand times more likely to have potential fraud problems when you use it in a restaurant than when you use it online with an established company using secure encrypted transmissions.

Out of interest, how many people on the forum have ever had a problem with using a card online? I certainly haven't and I have used mine hundreds of times.

Like Paintermujer I use it all the time for shopping - I've had three deliveries today!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Where ever we live We always get to know the postperson really well.Weve bought things online probably thousands of times. We shop all around the world.At the moment Im waiting for items from Korea and the USA as well as the UK.

There was one time though when someone hacked into our ebay account.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

You are a thousand times more likely to have potential fraud problems when you use it in a restaurant than when you use it online with an established company using secure encrypted transmissions.

Out of interest, how many people on the forum have ever had a problem with using a card online? I certainly haven't and I have used mine hundreds of times.

Like Paintermujer I use it all the time for shopping - I've had three deliveries today!
We live in a corner of UK, so rely heavily on internet purchases, and have been shopping this way for more years than I care to remember, probably our purchases run into thousands. A book came yesterday, awaiting camera stuff tomorrow. Paypal contacted me once to say someone had hacked my account, long before I realised it (it was only a small amount), they refunded the money immediately, advised me to change my log in details, and it's been fine ever since. I have no qualms about using the system whatsoever.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:33 pm

I never said that using a credit card in a restaurant was not worse I am only repeating what I have read, the Russians are now using far more sophisticated methods than ever before, banks are looking and in some cases implementing new rules that will limit their responsibility because it is costing them millions.
What I did say was that it is that antivirus programs are not the be all and end all of security they work on the principle of after the horse has bolted, a virus can have been around for weeks before an update is implemented that means that any trojan can be within oneĀ“s computer making even the most sophisticated encryption system irrelevant.

Graham
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Use my cards all the time online never had a problem in all the years. Also do online banking and move money between accounts. I don't know anyone else who has either. Even if something were to happen the banks are responsible. Can't speak for e-bay, never used it.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

My credit was compromised twice on line, ( my bank could not see first attempt but second time it was through a company called yahoo wallet I think ) the company closed its website and started a new one with stringent security to beat the hackers.

PayPal can't verify my accounts, so I now have no account with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.