Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would so many have gone back to the UK if....

Would so many have gone back to the UK if....

Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:44 am
Just Joined

nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would so many have gone back to the UK if....

I agree to some point but top and tail of it is, if you are trying to do well for yourself and are honest then forget it in the U.K its not the place for you, its for foreigners and (scroungers) i mean people who have no interest in getting jobs, young mums e.t.c generally people who have no interest in ever working .
The claim forms should say , have you ever worked ( NO)
Are you ever likely to work (NO)
Are you being honest on this claim form (NO)
are you a British national (NO)
..... CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN AWARD................
1) a fully paid house
2)mobile phones
3)driving lessons
4)more than enough money
5)more rights than you can shake a stick at
6)money for new clothes
e.t.c
the other form reads
have you ever worked (yes) since leaving school
Are you ever likely to again (yes) got no choice
Are you being honest on this claim form (yes) would not dream of lying
Are you a British national (yes)family as been for centuries
.............. COMPUTER SAYS NO ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola15
I agree to some point but top and tail of it is, if you are trying to do well for yourself and are honest then forget it in the U.K its not the place for you, its for foreigners and (scroungers) i mean people who have no interest in getting jobs, young mums e.t.c generally people who have no interest in ever working .
Forgive me for saying, but thats a pretty one sided jaded view of the UK. A lot of us are actually here because of how well we did for ourselves in the UK.

Luckily I didnt move here to escape the UK, but I do think it amusing that you say its a place for foreigners, yet you are contemplating becoming a foreigner in Spain
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Forgive me for saying, but thats a pretty one sided jaded view of the UK. A lot of us are actually here because of how well we did for ourselves in the UK.
Luckily I didnt move here to escape the UK, but I do think it amusing that you say its a place for foreigners, yet you are contemplating becoming a foreigner in Spain
Agree, it's a rather silly, childish view, but then judging by their previous posts, it's to be expected. As you say, it's been possible for many people to have made an excellent honest living in UK, including many immigrants, and to allow them to fund a good lifestyle in many countries around the world. Funny that though, many here don't see themselves as "immigrants" when they move to another country! Reminds me of a Spanish guy I saw on TV recently, and he was complaining about Brit immigrants that complained of the Spanish not understanding them, not the other way around, that they didn't understand Spanish! They just assume the Spanish should speak English!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:23 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, it's a rather silly, childish view, but then judging by their previous posts, it's to be expected. As you say, it's been possible for many people to have made an excellent honest living in UK, including many immigrants, and to allow them to fund a good lifestyle in many countries around the world. Funny that though, many here don't see themselves as "immigrants" when they move to another country! Reminds me of a Spanish guy I saw on TV recently, and he was complaining about Brit immigrants that complained of the Spanish not understanding them, not the other way around, that they didn't understand Spanish! They just assume the Spanish should speak English!
A friend of mine, who is a Languages graduate, was convinced that the Spanish could speak English to her if only they chose (this in a part of Spain where most of the older people are illiterate). Her reasoning was, that Indians and Africans can speak English, so why not the Spanish and French?. As I pointed out, India and many African countries, were British colonies at one time and that English was their first language. AFAIK, Spain and France have never been British colonies! But there you go, an example of how an intelligent, educated and literate person can get things so horribly wrong.

The post no. 31 by Nicola is another example of how someone can get something so horribly wrong.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point

no guys not silly or childish , its the reality of the country at the minute do you live in the U.K at the minute to make a good judgement on it? .
And yes i would class myself as a foreigner for the first time in my life but thats why i am learning the language so i would not come across as arrogant to the spanish and i would not be coming there expecting handouts unlike the foreigners would go to the u.k
Just a question guys why did you leave the U.K ?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

no guys not silly or childish , its the reality of the country at the minute do you live in the U.K at the minute to make a good judgement on it? .
And yes i would class myself as a foreigner for the first time in my life but thats why i am learning the language so i would not come across as arrogant to the spanish and i would not be coming there expecting handouts unlike the foreigners would go to the u.k

I have not long returned from 2 months in the UK and I regularly go back there as I own a place there. I know exactly what it's like back there and am therefore well able to make a judgement thanks.

I left the UK because I wanted to experience life in another country, thats all. I didn't leave because I hated the UK or because I was trying to escape anything.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine in Cornwall,her husband lost his job a few months ago due to the company folding through the recession.

Try as they did to get some benefit they ended up surviving on about £50 per week as they were told they did not qualify.

She was telling me the other day about some neighbours of hers.They havent worked in many years and survive on benefits.But they have a lovely house,new car,and are planning their exotic summer holiday.

This is a regular occurance through personal experience-the more you put in the less you get out. It is so wrong.

Luckily he has just found gainful employment again.

Nicola I do agree with you on many aspects.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:27 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the UK for months at a time and have a house there. In 2009 we stayed for five months.

I do know what it is like, I have helped people claim Benefits in the UK (and contrary to your opinion, if you tell the truth, you get what you are entitled to).

(Paintermujer, if your friend did not get any Benefits it is because they didn't qualify, perhaps for having too much income/savings or not enough NI, depending on the Benefit. If you have a working spouse or other income, you very rarely qualify for Income-based Jobseekers' Allowance. The DWP do NOT just arbitrarily decide that people are not getting any!)

Like Mitzyboy, I do not hate my country or slag it off. It is not perfect but then nowhere is (EVEN SPAIN!). I came here with my husband because he thought it would be better for his health, but we don't hate the UK. And the UK (specifically England) will always be my country and my home, no matter how long I live elsewhere.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
We are in the UK for months at a time and have a house there. In 2009 we stayed for five months.

I do know what it is like, I have helped people claim Benefits in the UK (and contrary to your opinion, if you tell the truth, you get what you are entitled to).

(Paintermujer, if your friend did not get any Benefits it is because they didn't qualify, perhaps for having too much income/savings or not enough NI, depending on the Benefit. If you have a working spouse or other income, you very rarely qualify for Income-based Jobseekers' Allowance. The DWP do NOT just arbitrarily decide that people are not getting any!)

Like Mitzyboy, I do not hate my country or slag it off. It is not perfect but then nowhere is (EVEN SPAIN!). I came here with my husband because he thought it would be better for his health, but we don't hate the UK. And the UK (specifically England) will always be my country and my home, no matter how long I live elsewhere.
I am not slagging off the UK.Im just passing on what I have been told by people in the UK.

My friend did not even qualify for free school meals and no they are not rich with lots of savings.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:36 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I am not slagging off the UK.Im just passing on what I have been told by people in the UK.

My friend did not even qualify for free school meals and no they are not rich with lots of savings.
I was not referring to you when I said that about slagging off the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

The DWP do NOT just arbitrarily decide that people are not getting any!)
Agree, they can't refuse you simply because they don't like the look of you, there are good financial reasons why people are turned down. People can tell us as much as they want us to know, but all has to be revealed before DWP, they will check out bank accounts, savings etc. As with any system, if it's possible to abuse it, for sure some will, but I still think overall the system works as it was intended to. And every year, there are billions that go unclaimed.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paintermujer
A friend of mine in Cornwall,her husband lost his job a few months ago due to the company folding through the recession.

Try as they did to get some benefit they ended up surviving on about £50 per week as they were told they did not qualify.

She was telling me the other day about some neighbours of hers.They havent worked in many years and survive on benefits.But they have a lovely house,new car,and are planning their exotic summer holiday.

This is a regular occurance through personal experience-the more you put in the less you get out. It is so wrong.

Luckily he has just found gainful employment again.

Nicola I do agree with you on many aspects.
I think that if you are very wealthy, you'll do OK. If you're poor, you'll also do OK. But if you are 'middle class' then you are on your own Jack.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, they can't refuse you simply because they don't like the look of you, there are good financial reasons why people are turned down. People can tell us as much as they want us to know, but all has to be revealed before DWP, they will check out bank accounts, savings etc. As with any system, if it's possible to abuse it, for sure some will, but I still think overall the system works as it was intended to. And every year, there are billions that go unclaimed.
Thats right.

2 good posts.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:15 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I think sometimes it borders on, would you like to be treated like a foriegner in your own country or, up roots and get treated like a foriegner in another country where things just might take a change for the better.
Sometimes people don't know what to do, other people have moved away with nothing and come back pretty flush. Lots haven't granted but some have, why not try.

(I feel the same way about the system over there, it doesn't seem to work in your favour when you're trying to get help). Unfortunately it does tend to lean towards the favour of foriegners and lazy gets.. I'm very happy though when I see someone who really needs it get the support. When we see this happen, we know it can work.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:20 pm
Ex Expat

Sense about benefits at last!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.