Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

World's most expensive ham on sale in London

World's most expensive ham on sale in London

Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default World's most expensive ham on sale in London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8464222.stm

If you've £1800 to spare, maybe you'd like to buy a 7kg (15lb) ham leg, seeing as it's Iberico? The ham comes with its own DNA certificate as proof of authenticity.

Considering the price of hams have been coming down in the crisis, it'll be amazing if this was sold?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World's most expensive ham on sale in London

After being slaughtered their ham was salted and cured for three years, before going on sale
They forgot to smoke it!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I bet the farmer has a field with several hundred pigs all treated the same as these 50 that supplied Selfridges and retails a hell of a lot less cash.

In these times anybody paying that money when children are starving needs to be taken out, shoot in the head and their cash given to charity.

Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8464222.stm

If you've £1800 to spare, maybe you'd like to buy a 7kg (15lb) ham leg, seeing as it's Iberico? The ham comes with its own DNA certificate as proof of authenticity.

Considering the price of hams have been coming down in the crisis, it'll be amazing if this was sold?
I dont think its amazing it sold at all. If you got to El Corte Ingles you can find 1000 euro jamones at any time of year.

I dont think its particularly extravegant. 100g is plenty for a plate to share between 4 people. If there is maybe 4KG of edible meat on a jamon then a plate of the £1800 jamon comes out at nearly £50. The same price as an average bottle of champagne at a restaurant in London

I know which I'd prefer

And btw, Chulo, usually you can tell the difference between a cheap and expensive jamon...
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:39 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman

And btw, Chulo, usually you can tell the difference between a cheap and expensive jamon...
I no.

I also no that price does not always reflect quality, many John Lewis and Harrods clients could find the same product cheaper in Currys or Littlewoods.

There are hundreds of pig farmers in that region selling legs of equal quality in less exclusive establishment's.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
I no.

I also no that price does not always reflect quality, many John Lewis and Harrods clients could find the same product cheaper in Currys or Littlewoods.

There are hundreds of pig farmers in that region selling legs of equal quality in less exclusive establishment's.
Given that you said....

"In these times anybody paying that money when children are starving needs to be taken out, shoot in the head and their cash given to charity."

Well I have and almost every Spanish people I know has, at some point in their lives eating an expensive jamon de bellota of 5Js that will cost you around 1000euros a leg at a supermarket or more at an exclusive restaurant.

If only at a special occasion such as a birthday or wedding....

You only eat a little bit, like I said, like having a glass of fine champaigne.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:06 pm
Banned

Then you need to be shot.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:52 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
I bet the farmer has a field with several hundred pigs all treated the same as these 50 that supplied Selfridges and retails a hell of a lot less cash.

In these times anybody paying that money when children are starving needs to be taken out, sh
oot in the head and their cash given to charity.

While I agree that the price of the jamon is rather high, I think it is a bit simplistic to think that the problem of the `people starving in the would be helped by not buying or eating it.
Would the same reasoning apply to people spending lots of money on, wines, caviar, etc.
What about expensive cars, works of art and bling?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:06 pm
Banned

If I was privilaged I hope I would spend 500 Euros on a Jamon and donate the rest to a charity.

I hope the people rich enough to have such a lifestyle share a good percentage of their income to a charity or help those in need beyond the amount needed to reduce tax liability.

I'm aiming this not at wealth.

Just commonsense.