Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Worlds happiest countries.

Worlds happiest countries.

Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worlds happiest countries.

In Europe the happiest countries are the Scandinavian ones, according to this,

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...hlaGFwcGllc3Rj

Spain is 17th out of 21. Don't know where the UK is as can't see the full list.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worlds happiest countries.

Quite a strange article, in Forbes of all places. It seems that money equates to happiness in Europe , but not in the US, with poor Puerto Rico claiming the top happiness spot.

But without the UK placing it's difficult to discuss it on this forum, if Spain is in 17th place out of 21, and the UK is in 18th, or something close to that, I wouldn't be surprised,

I fear that Forbes definition of happiness is aimed at the exceedingly rich people who read the magazine, not ordinary folk.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:02 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Quite a strange article, in Forbes of all places. It seems that money equates to happiness in Europe , but not in the US, with poor Puerto Rico claiming the top happiness spot.

But without the UK placing it's difficult to discuss it on this forum, if Spain is in 17th place out of 21, and the UK is in 18th, or something close to that, I wouldn't be surprised,

I fear that Forbes definition of happiness is aimed at the exceedingly rich people who read the magazine, not ordinary folk.
I am one of the 'ordinary' folk in England and I don't have much money but I'm happy Because I'm home, with family and friends and that is something I really missed when I was in Spain
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Impossible to work out and put numbers to it, it can change so much, different times, different countries, different type of happiness.
Carnival in Brazil, ganja party in Jamaica, nice cool pint by the pool.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:37 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
In Europe the happiest countries are the Scandinavian ones, according to this,

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...hlaGFwcGllc3Rj

Spain is 17th out of 21. Don't know where the UK is as can't see the full list.

Absolute Cobblers!

I've lived there long enough to know they are the most miserable ppl.on the planet, despite the fact they have all mod cons and a decent modern lifestyle.
Also check out "Driving over Lemons"
The Author prefered living in a broken down hovel on a remote Spanish Mountain, rather than stay in a typical depressing Swedish town for one more day than he had to.
I'd much prefer living amongst skint Spanish, than relatively richer Scandies,however the Danes are a slightly more cheerful bunch and the Finns,..well they're something else.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I am one of the 'ordinary' folk in England and I don't have much money but I'm happy Because I'm home, with family and friends and that is something I really missed when I was in Spain
I'm one of the ordinary folk too, a happy expat living in Spain. However, it's always nice to hear from happy expats who have returned, because you never know . . .

Funnily enough, I've got Danish, Swedish and Finnish neighbors and I get on fine with all of them, but from such a ridiculous small example, the Danes are by far the happiest ones, the Swedes keep themselves to themselves, and we all suspect that the Finns are really Russians who literally hide in their villa and only go out when it's dark. A giant shadow walks past my gate every night as soon as it's dark, I know it's the Finn because he walks with a limp.

I've met the Finn on a few occasions over the years when we've met at the basura bin and I've tried talking to him in different languages, but he just glares at me. I don't know any Russian but even if I did I think he would remain silent.

I've always maintained that money doesn't buy you happiness, but that could be because I've never had much. Actually, I did have a couple of plentiful years, a long time ago, and it was a miserable time which I spent watching tills and receipts because everyone was trying to steal my money. Quite a few of them succeeded.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm one of the ordinary folk too, a happy expat living in Spain. However, it's always nice to hear from happy expats who have returned, because you never know . . .

Funnily enough, I've got Danish, Swedish and Finnish neighbors and I get on fine with all of them, but from such a ridiculous small example, the Danes are by far the happiest ones, the Swedes keep themselves to themselves, and we all suspect that the Finns are really Russians who literally hide in their villa and only go out when it's dark. A giant shadow walks past my gate every night as soon as it's dark, I know it's the Finn because he walks with a limp.

I've met the Finn on a few occasions over the years when we've met at the basura bin and I've tried talking to him in different languages, but he just glares at me. I don't know any Russian but even if I did I think he would remain silent.

I've always maintained that money doesn't buy you happiness, but that could be because I've never had much. Actually, I did have a couple of plentiful years, a long time ago, and it was a miserable time which I spent watching tills and receipts because everyone was trying to steal my money. Quite a few of them succeeded.
Nice post,especially the last para.
Never difficult to find those who can find alternative uses for your dosh.
Seems you have a pretty fair sample there.
Swedes tend to stay in their shells
Danes are more outgoing.
Finns are a law unto themselves,but if you ever hear of one giant of a man single handedly turning your local bar into a heap of rubble, you probably won't have far to look.
However having one as a friend is better than a thousand personal body guards.
Just generalising ,of course.