Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Uk and living in Spain

Working in Uk and living in Spain

Old May 24th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

stuartmac84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Uk and living in Spain

Hi all moving to Spain in July and just looking for a bit of advice. I work offshore in North Sea for British company but will be living in Spain. Can anyone give me any info they have on who I pay taxes to and what sort of health care me and my family would receive in Spain. Thanks
Old May 24th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working in Uk and living in Spain

If you are a UK PAYE employee then you will have to pay your tax in UK but under the dual tax treaty will not have to pay again in Spain.

For health care you need to apply to HMRC for a 'workers E106' this will give you and your dependents access to health care on the same basis as any other Spanish citizen would enjoy.

It is renewable on an annual basis on it's anniversary for as long as you are working and paying NI.
Old May 25th 2013, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Working in Uk and living in Spain

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
If you are a UK PAYE employee then you will have to pay your tax in UK but under the dual tax treaty will not have to pay again in Spain.

For health care you need to apply to HMRC for a 'workers E106' this will give you and your dependents access to health care on the same basis as any other Spanish citizen would enjoy.

It is renewable on an annual basis on it's anniversary for as long as you are working and paying NI.
North sea oil workers are different and can make a special case over the years there have been several threads on this but it did not apply to me so I did not retain the detail. I would suggest tha the OP does a search for the old threads as a starting point.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I agree in certain circumstances offshore workers may receive different treatment but if the OP is an ordinary UK sector offshore worker and UK PAYE employee then none of those will apply.

I worked in the industry for over 30 years and lived in France for a good number of them so know a little about the topic

Last edited by Im_and_Er; May 25th 2013 at 6:18 am.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
I agree in certain circumstances offshore workers may receive different treatment but if the OP is an ordinary UK sector offshore worker and UK PAYE employee then none of those will apply.

I worked in the industry for over 30 years and lived in France for a good number of them so know a little about the topic
and even if he does get the 'tax-free' breaks in the UK there is no tax-free arrangement in Spain, so as a resident he'd be liable to pay tax on all his income here - he'd need to do a tax return each year, declaring income & paying tax on it

stuartmac84 - get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle & ask about S1 forms
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

stuartmac84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, gonna have to get my finger out and get this E106 form and check the s1 form. Thanks again. Sorry for delay forgot my password!