Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working In Spain

Working In Spain

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:54 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working In Spain

I am a mortgage adviser here. I don't speak much Spanish. I know I cannot get a job as a mortgage adviser in Spain because of that and the different qualifications etc.

We are going to the south Costa Blanca area - near Guadarmar.

We were going to go in 2 or 3 years, give up work and live off the interest from the sale of our property plus a small pension until we receive our state pensions, but everyone is saying to me to go over earlier and just work for a 2 or 3 years until we can afford to do that.

I am sure that the only jobs will be bar work, cleaning, airport runs etc. which I feel lots of brits are already doing. My husband is a coach driver, previously painter and decorator. We do not think he would get work as a coach driver over there but are not sure?? Maybe he could do painting and decorating but again I think there will be plenty of brits already doing that?

Does anyone know if there is any point in us trying to get work so that we can go earlier or just wait until we can afford not to work?

Advice please.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working In Spain

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
I am a mortgage adviser here. I don't speak much Spanish. I know I cannot get a job as a mortgage adviser in Spain because of that and the different qualifications etc.

We are going to the south Costa Blanca area - near Guadarmar.

We were going to go in 2 or 3 years, give up work and live off the interest from the sale of our property plus a small pension until we receive our state pensions, but everyone is saying to me to go over earlier and just work for a 2 or 3 years until we can afford to do that.

I am sure that the only jobs will be bar work, cleaning, airport runs etc. which I feel lots of brits are already doing. My husband is a coach driver, previously painter and decorator. We do not think he would get work as a coach driver over there but are not sure?? Maybe he could do painting and decorating but again I think there will be plenty of brits already doing that?

Does anyone know if there is any point in us trying to get work so that we can go earlier or just wait until we can afford not to work?

Advice please.
There seems to be Expat mortgage companies and insurance so you may get a job with some of them. Some don't speak Spanish either. There may be some areas you can work in.