Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Alicante

Working in Alicante

Old Apr 10th 2020, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

shaznmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Alicante

Hi, myself and my family of 2 boys and partner are moving to Spain in August- all be well! I’ve accepted a teaching job in Alicante and we are now looking at renting a property. We want a house over an apartment any suggestions of nice areas 20 mins from centre.
thanks
Old Apr 11th 2020, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Alicante

https://www.idealista.com/en/alquile...cant-alicante/

Good luck
Old Apr 11th 2020, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I am not trying be a pessimist but only trying to explain the situation (normally, this year God knows)

August is peak holiday season and it is virtually impossible to find a rental, all let for summer or being used by owners (/family from Madrid) also many agencies will be closed for holidays so you are going to find it difficult to acquire a rental in August unless you are very lucky. I suggest you need to visit asap (OK at the moment impossible) and start checking the lie of the land.

There has been a shortage of quality long term lets as many owners had switched over to short term lets (this area very popular - beach/golf/cheap flights) ie the AirBnB setup - obviously that is not currently working so some landlords are trying to find long term lets but will probably renege as soon as the holidaymakers start arriving again.

All I am trying to explain is that rentals (at sensible money) were hard to find - but OK the world could be different when this is all over.

Good luck.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

shaznmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind. We’re not due to arrive until late August so hopefully summer breaks coming to an end. Can’t wait to get out and look around. We don’t mind living inland and have a car, so hopefully in a less touristic area will come up?
Old Apr 12th 2020, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean you will be working in a private school you should check with them as at the moment many private academies are using temporary shut downs to allow their staff to be paid by government. Many will be facing financial hardship as parents might not be able to pay fees or dispute charges for online classes. I would have thought all future contracts are suspended until the future is clearer
Old Apr 12th 2020, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, that crossed my mind as well but I do not have any contact with these organisations so I do not know for sure but to OP I would not burn any UK bridges.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I am not trying be a pessimist but only trying to explain the situation (normally, this year God knows)

August is peak holiday season and it is virtually impossible to find a rental, all let for summer or being used by owners (/family from Madrid) also many agencies will be closed for holidays so you are going to find it difficult to acquire a rental in August unless you are very lucky. I suggest you need to visit asap (OK at the moment impossible) and start checking the lie of the land.

There has been a shortage of quality long term lets as many owners had switched over to short term lets (this area very popular - beach/golf/cheap flights) ie the AirBnB setup - obviously that is not currently working so some landlords are trying to find long term lets but will probably renege as soon as the holidaymakers start arriving again.

All I am trying to explain is that rentals (at sensible money) were hard to find - but OK the world could be different when this is all over.

Good luck.
When we were living in SPain we did look at a long let, and were ready to take it, but then the agent said that the owners would want us to move out for two weeks in August so they could come for their holidays, so the long let was cancelled, then just after we had found a new long let and moved, the owners of the original apartment contacted us, via their agent, that they had changed their mind, and wouldn't be wanting it in August, the agent did want us to take it again but we just said NO, they had made their choice and would have to live with it.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I would be super careful. I would imagine that term would begin around the 10th of September. Rentals in August in Alicante will be difficult as normally most agency are closed august. Rentals do appear for teachers but tend to be agreed in June by teachers. Your other problem is that you simply don't know when flights for non residents will be available. Many folk expect the tourist season to be effectively closed for much of the summer bug obviously nothing is certain. So definitely dont make any non reversible plans at the moment
Old Apr 12th 2020, 10:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, butting in from the France forum, but the OP hasn't mentioned here the issue in his Welcome Inn post, namely his sons' schooling, particularly the one "due to start "secondary school in September. Unless he has already been enrolled in a school (in which case the OP wouldn't be asking about areas to rent in), when is the deadline for enrolling children in International or Spanish State Schools (both Secondary and presumably Primary), and what documents are required?
The issue of a "foreign" child starting from scratch in a European Secondary School is a universal problem at the best of times, but in these uncertain times, it's an extra one to take into account....
Hope the OP finds solutions to all the various issues, but, as said, it would be advisable not to burn his UK bridges....
Old Apr 12th 2020, 11:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, butting in from the France forum, but the OP hasn't mentioned here the issue in his Welcome Inn post, namely his sons' schooling, particularly the one "due to start "secondary school in September. Unless he has already been enrolled in a school (in which case the OP wouldn't be asking about areas to rent in), when is the deadline for enrolling children in International or Spanish State Schools (both Secondary and presumably Primary), and what documents are required?
The issue of a "foreign" child starting from scratch in a European Secondary School is a universal problem at the best of times, but in these uncertain times, it's an extra one to take into account....
Hope the OP finds solutions to all the various issues, but, as said, it would be advisable not to burn his UK bridges....
It really depends, to a great exent, what level his Spanish is now, if he is fluent, then there will be few problems, but if not, then really a very intensive course NOW may just make a difference.