Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Work in Gibraltar Advice needed

Work in Gibraltar Advice needed

Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

jasonpittman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Gibraltar Advice needed

Hello I am hoping someone on this forum can give me a bit of advice.

I recently moved to Gibraltar we have been fortunate and managed to get a flat sorted out in the 2nd week of being here. I work in IT support but have had difficulty finding the right job. I am registered with a number of agencies and have had a couple of interviews.

What I want to know is where can I look for unskilled work i.e bar staff, shop work etc I need to find a job asap and am willing to do unskilled work until I find the right job for me. All the agencies I am with just seem to cover skilled jobs. Now my plan is to get my MCSE certification by the end of next year so I have the certificates to go with my experience but until I get them I need to find any job so I can pay my bills and not have to move back to the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Gibraltar Advice needed

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonpittman

I recently moved to Gibraltar we have been fortunate and managed to get a flat sorted out in the 2nd week of being here. I work in IT support but have had difficulty finding the right job. I am registered with a number of agencies and have had a couple of interviews.

What I want to know is where can I look for unskilled work i.e bar staff, shop work etc I need to find a job asap and am willing to do unskilled work until I find the right job for me. All the agencies I am with just seem to cover skilled jobs. Now my plan is to get my MCSE certification by the end of next year so I have the certificates to go with my experience but until I get them I need to find any job so I can pay my bills and not have to move back to the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi Jason walk round and knock on doors
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

muckerteller is an unknown quantity at this point

how do I come to Gib to work im a uk national so do I need a visa or some sort of documentation help!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muckerteller
how do I come to Gib to work im a uk national so do I need a visa or some sort of documentation help!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muckerteller
Hi there... Butting in from the Malta forum...
Well first things first, Gibraltar is a territory of the United Kingdom and part of the European Union, it is NOT part of Spain. So, as long as you are a British CITIZEN, (That is you hold full British nationality without restriction for European Union purposes) you have the freedom of movement in Gibraltar so you don't need any permits. An easy way to tell this is if your British passport has the words "European Union" above "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

As long as this is the case, all you will need to work/live in Gib is your UK passport.
Hope you get everything sorted
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

oatia is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Work in Gibraltar Advice needed

Originally Posted by jasonpittman

Hi Jason,

How did you get on?

I was aiming to spend some time in Gibraltar from the start of November but couldn't clarify the situation regarding tax and residency in time.

UK tax guidelines appear to have been revised last year and I couldn't make out if a UK citizen who doesn't qualify for residency in Gibraltar would still be considered UK resident for tax purposes.

Additionally, I am under the impression that I can't purchase property there for at least the first 3 months it would take to be able to qualify to apply for Gibraltarian residency. I don't know if I'd qualify.

I didn't have any more time to consider the situation more fully because I would have been classed as UK resident had I not left by November 5th. I was living in Japan prior to a family bereavement in May last year.

In my own case, I would only be receiving my state pension when I decide to draw it, I'm not contemplating looking for work there.

I'd be interested to know if you or anyone else has a better understanding of what the tax situation would be, please.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by oatia; Jan 17th 2014 at 7:03 am.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
So, as long as you are a British CITIZEN, (That is you hold full British nationality without restriction for European Union purposes) you have the freedom of movement in Gibraltar so you don't need any permits. An easy way to tell this is if your British passport has the words "European Union" above "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

As long as this is the case, all you will need to work/live in Gib is your UK passport.
gozitan,

This may not now be the case since I understand that the Gibraltar government has come to some sort of agreement with the UK HMRC, probably last year. This may well have changed the situation for UK passport holders who stay in Gibraltar without qualifying for residency even though theyy have freedom of movement.

If you know how I can find out more, I'd be very grateful, thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi oatia

I suggest you read the following

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/images/...ance_notes.pdf

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jan 17th 2014 at 7:53 am. Reason: Spelling, having keyboard problems
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oatia
gozitan,

This may not now be the case since I understand that the Gibraltar government has come to some sort of agreement with the UK HMRC, probably last year. This may well have changed the situation for UK passport holders who stay in Gibraltar without qualifying for residency even though theyy have freedom of movement.

If you know how I can find out more, I'd be very grateful, thanks.
Sounds like by what Fred posted, EU nationals (this means Brits too!) have freedom of movement in Gib... This also sums it up pretty good too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...nion#Gibraltar
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys,

I was hoping to have feedback from the OP, guess we'll never know whether he was successful or not.

Sounds like the info I'd seen posted on another forum was totally inaccurate regarding property purchase.

However, there don't seem to be any leads regarding mainland UK tax liability, perhaps I should start a new thread.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by oatia
However, there don't seem to be any leads regarding mainland UK tax liability, perhaps I should start a new thread.
Why should you have UK tax liabilities if you become resident in Gibraltar ?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Why should you have UK tax liabilities if you become resident in Gibraltar ?
I don't know how long it will take for an application to be considered, or that it would even be approved.

I need to know if I'd be considered UK-resident for tax purposes while I am there without a Residency Permit. I have only 6 days left in this tax year before I lose my non-UK residency status, for example.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have sufficient pension to be able to prove you are self supporting?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Do you have sufficient pension to be able to prove you are self supporting?
I haven't seen any stated figures, but at present I'm not old enough to claim the state pension and I'm hoping to defer it for a year if possible. At present, I'm living on my savings in the hope they will last long enough after I buy a small property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.