A word a day?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default A word a day?

Hi all,
I try to learn a new Spanish word or expression every day (and then I try to retain it for more than a day! )

I wonder whether people might be interested in exchanging useful new words they've learnt, and that way we'll all have the chance to learn several new phrases and so on.
It doesn't have to be on a daily basis, and it doesn't have to be anything terribly intellectual (mine won't be!)
I often hear words or expressions, and then need to hear them several more times in order to feel confident of using them in the right context! If we share information, we should all be able to build our vocabulary more quickly.
It doesn't matter whether you've only just mastered "hola", or if you've been here for ages and are pretty fluent - we can all help each other.

Native Spanish speakers - perhaps you could put us right if you notice we've dropped a clanger!?

I'll start off with:
Me da vergüenza (I am embarrassed) This is the more formal way of saying it,

or

Me da corte This is a less formal way of saying the same thing

Maybe we could all put this expression to good use while we're busy making language faux pas!?

What do you all think?
Regards, Sam.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:40 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A word a day?

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi all,
I try to learn a new Spanish word or expression every day (and then I try to retain it for more than a day! )

I wonder whether people might be interested in exchanging useful new words they've learnt, and that way we'll all have the chance to learn several new phrases and so on.
It doesn't have to be on a daily basis, and it doesn't have to be anything terribly intellectual (mine won't be!)
I often hear words or expressions, and then need to hear them several more times in order to feel confident of using them in the right context! If we share information, we should all be able to build our vocabulary more quickly.
It doesn't matter whether you've only just mastered "hola", or if you've been here for ages and are pretty fluent - we can all help each other.

Native Spanish speakers - perhaps you could put us right if you notice we've dropped a clanger!?

I'll start off with:
Me da vergüenza (I am embarrassed) This is the more formal way of saying it,

or

Me da corte This is a less formal way of saying the same thing

Maybe we could all put this expression to good use while we're busy making language faux pas!?

What do you all think?
Regards, Sam.
Sounds a good idea to me , and i am not to verguenza to say so
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Muchas gracias for a brill idea!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

count me in

"pasado mañana" - day after tomorrow

Last edited by spain; Mar 4th 2007 at 7:17 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:22 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

guapo (masculine) - handsome
guapa (feminine) - beautiful

You often hear people greeting their friends in this manner:

Hola guapo/guapa
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:33 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A word a day?

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Sounds a good idea to me , and i am not to verguenza to say so
Hi all,
Great idea Big Pete.
Your example brought a smile. You know when you just can't remember a word, and that some Spanish words are very similar to English? Like presentar - to presrent, and preparar - to prepare. And the old grey matter just won't play ball in the recall department, so you decide to apply the same for the English word you want, converting it into Spanish.
Like embarrrassed, and you figure well that's got to be embarasada hasn't it? So you offer up with great confidence "estoy embarasada"
Only to be told that you have just announced instead "I am pregnant!!" OOPS!!

Heres one for your list which is very appropriate for me. When you are unable to reteive what you were about to say and it has totally abandoned you.

Me he a ido el santo al cielo -- roughly translated, it has gone to the saint in the clouds/I knew it, but its gone for now!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

one seriously needs spanish living here and that's the truth

how about i begin with ~ manuel
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is a useful site which will send you a daily email with a Spanish word and its usage every day.

http://www.spanishlanguage.co.uk/palabradia.htm
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

What a fab idea Brisca.....

And Fred I've just subscribed to that website you've given.....thank you
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:37 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

For those of us who live in the country, when the cocks crowing at dawn gets to your visitors (I have gotten used to it) head for the pharmacia and ask for tapones. And just remember that tampones are something very different.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is a useful site which will send you a daily email with a Spanish word and its usage every day.

Thanks for that link, Fred!
I've just subscribed too
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, been here nearly six years, had lessons, and at first was learning a phrase a week, but brain will not keep info in and I forget everything again , must try harder! Will look at that website now.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Here's my thought for the day........something I've found very handy.

The verb "tener que" (to have to)

i.e
Tengo que salir I have to go out

Tiene(s) que pagar You have to pay

Tenemos que ir We have to go

Before I knew this, I always used "necesitar " (to need) but it seems that tener que is used much more often (and is probably more correct?)
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:43 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Here's my thought for the day........something I've found very handy.

The verb "tener que" (to have to)

i.e
Tengo que salir I have to go out

Tiene(s) que pagar You have to pay

Tenemos que ir We have to go

Before I knew this, I always used "necesitar " (to need) but it seems that tener que is used much more often (and is probably more correct?)
Breaking down the verb

To have = Tener

tengo I have
tienes You (singular) have
tiene He/she/it has
tenemos We have
teneis You (plural) have
tienen They have
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Thanks, just subscribed myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.