Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Wireless detection software

Wireless detection software

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wireless detection software

Apologies if this is a really dumb question, but when I run wireless detection software on my PC such as Xirrus & inSSIDer why don't they detect my ipod touch connecting to my wireless router?
If they can't detect my product then how can they detect anybody else's nearby? Or is that not what this software is supposed to do?
Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wireless detection software

Originally Posted by Biffta
Apologies if this is a really dumb question, but when I run wireless detection software on my PC such as Xirrus & inSSIDer why don't they detect my ipod touch connecting to my wireless router?
If they can't detect my product then how can they detect anybody else's nearby? Or is that not what this software is supposed to do?
Thanks.
unless I have this wrong (well it is possible) the first thing to remember is your wifi is radiating/transmitting. When someone logs on to your wifi then they must have a password to enter the node.
these programmes are used to ensure the wifi function of your modem is working correctly as an Access Point.

they will only look at the RF world around them and (using the antenna of your modem) look for any other modem AP's in the area.
as your IPad is a device and not an access point it will not be registering as being active as it is a lower level than an AP

not sure I have put this right, but that is a brief understanding. If it was picking up every device and you lived on a busy town centre street then it would be flooded with devices walking by.

most "home" wifi AP's only cover around 50-100m and at the furthest distance usually have difficulties in retaining a lock.

hth

Last edited by Domino; Apr 22nd 2013 at 10:03 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply 'Domino', much obliged. What you say makes sense to me anyway!
I have my wireless secured, but just wondered if there was software (free!) that would indicate if anyone around me was 'tapping in' to my network or trying to do so.
Unless I'm not using the software properly, the two I exampled don't appear to do this.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply 'Domino', much obliged. What you say makes sense to me anyway!
I have my wireless secured, but just wondered if there was software (free!) that would indicate if anyone around me was 'tapping in' to my network or trying to do so.
Unless I'm not using the software properly, the two I exampled don't appear to do this.
Thanks again.
there probably is, but more at the commercial level
inSSIDer for example has indepth analysis tools for detecting invisible interference and make wireless networks work better but you would need a spectrum analyser for that.
Xirrus is a more top end company providing and controlling complex wifi AP's for places like sports stadiums and other venues.

its all interesting stuff but I see it as too high tech for the average user who just wants to be able to log on from the garden without any problems.
if there are problems then their analysis tools may help in the siting of an external antenna or even a booster if you are running a SoHo business from the shed at the bottom of the garden.

But the key to keeping your system safe is to ensure the encryption and passwords are as robust as possible. I am sure from time to time people in the next house/over the road will give your system a nudge "just in case" or by accident. You don't want alarm bells ringing because someone in the cafe across the road makes a mistake whilst trying to log on to their free wifi on a Kindle.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.
Why not just log into your routers admin interface where you should find a status page that shows you what clients are connected to it by wifi and their IP addresses.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Domino for taking the time and trouble to respond.
I think you're `probably correct in your comments and conclusions.

Thanks also to you Bob, never thought of that. It works!