Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Winter weather and packing

Winter weather and packing

Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Tammydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winter weather and packing

hi coming over for a long winter let let from beg October to see how my husbands health in in a winter there. staying just outside the Torrevieja area. Want to know what the weather is like if we need to pack winter coats and big jumpers, boots ect? We have a rented a South facing ground floor bungalow. The area is supposed to have a micro climate.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Winter weather and packing

My thoughts are that you should bring with you sufficient thick clothing to sustain yourselves during a possible cold snap. This is often observed.
Better to bring such things and not use them than to not bring them and then really need them!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you pack what you would pack for a winter stay in the southern UK you won't be far out.

From November to March, temperatures can go below zero, loads of rain and wind. The nice thing about the climate in winter is that most days are pretty good, but don't underestimate just how bad it can be.

Statistical weather info for the area here

Cartagena, Spain Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Fred and Marc. We live in southern England. So best not pack many cossies, shorts and sandals then. We are coming back to UK mid December and if all goes well will return January. Hope it's going to be a bit better weather than we get in the winter here in the South as although mild can be very wet. But I know that the houses can be cold inside as been over in March/April before and once Mid to end Sept. Think I will be taken my winter coat then. Cheers. Hoping having a south facing apartment will make it a bit warmer.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time, you will love the weather but there will be days when you will be happy that you packed some warm gear!

It's interesting living in a Spanish town in Winter. You will see tourists in shorts and tee shirts walking alongside the locals, who look like they are dressed for a Siberian holiday!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Fred, Such a helpful site with positive information. We are so looking forward to our new adventures now retired. But it's great to be able to ask information from people such as yourselves to take their time to help us Newbies. You give us hope and not the doom and gloom that we sometimes get to hear in UK. Thanks.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tammydog
Thanks Fred and Marc. We live in southern England. So best not pack many cossies, shorts and sandals then. We are coming back to UK mid December and if all goes well will return January. Hope it's going to be a bit better weather than we get in the winter here in the South as although mild can be very wet. But I know that the houses can be cold inside as been over in March/April before and once Mid to end Sept. Think I will be taken my winter coat then. Cheers. Hoping having a south facing apartment will make it a bit warmer.
Being new to Spain, you will think it's quite warm at those times, however, just look at what the locals are wearing, to them the winter temps are low, because they are used to Spring and Summer where they get temps of 35+, the people you see walking around in shorts and t shirts are usually holiday makers from the UK or northern Europe.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

It is virtually impossible to make a house or apartment without underfloor heating or a wood burner "cosy" in winter. Evenings and nights are cold - and the naked floor tiles even colder. If the rental includes electricity buy 2 or 3 oil filled rads when you get out here and some timers so you can wake up in some degree of warmth. If you are paying for electricity i would budget for €100 to €150 per month. Warm slippers or fur lined boots are a must for sitting inside and watching tv in the evening, probably with a rug or duvet over your knees. If you can find stacks of cheap carpets buy them and layer over all floors.

Between 10:00 and 17:00 it can be nice and warm and t shirt and shorts weather. Outside of those hours outside those hours the temperature drops like a lead weight! Where we are it rarely goes below 8C, but blimey it feels colder than that inside!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers! Yes our rent is all inclusive of all bills even Internet and English TV. So should not be a problem if we run oil heaters. May need to pick up some second hand ones ourselves though? Not sure if they have any there. The apartment has air on that is climatesed I assume? But we are taking a small fan heater.But I need to check if it's got a wood burner? As only saw fire place to one side in photo and can't tell? But I will take our warm dressing gowns and woolly socks. And taking hot water bottle and electric blanket as well then. I know when we went in March we had to put on the oil radiators at the apartment we rented. But only some evenings and mornings. There is a good secondhand furniture place just down the road. So will be looking there for rugs. But Can't believe we're talking about heaters in Spain with the heat there at the moment lol! There's a Primemark nearby if we need more warm clothes. Tho!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I never find a/c convected heat as "comfortable" as oil filled rads radiant heat. Buy from second hand shop or car boot. I doubt an apartment will have a woodburner, its probably gas or electric. You'll have a great time!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:51 pm

I think you have that slightly wrong. Oil filled radiators produce mainly convected heat. AC units produce heated forced air. Wood burners do both radiated heat and convected heat. Electric fires produce mainly radiant heat. Basically, if it looks hot, it is radiant heat.

I prefer the heat from the wood burner as I sit quite close to it. For general heating underfloor heating is brilliant but expensive. AC heat is useful for quickly heating a room but, in my opinion, the least comfortable.

I have both UF heating and AC heating in addition to a wood burner. I also have an electricity bill that would make your eyes water! On the other hand, I do feel quite comfortable in the winter.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 11th 2015 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Most of the time, you will love the weather but there will be days when you will be happy that you packed some warm gear!

It's interesting living in a Spanish town in Winter. You will see tourists in shorts and tee shirts walking alongside the locals, who look like they are dressed for a Siberian holiday!
Very very true
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tammydog
Cheers! Yes our rent is all inclusive of all bills even Internet and English TV. So should not be a problem if we run oil heaters. May need to pick up some second hand ones ourselves though? Not sure if they have any there. The apartment has air on that is climatesed I assume? But we are taking a small fan heater.But I need to check if it's got a wood burner? As only saw fire place to one side in photo and can't tell? But I will take our warm dressing gowns and woolly socks. And taking hot water bottle and electric blanket as well then. I know when we went in March we had to put on the oil radiators at the apartment we rented. But only some evenings and mornings. There is a good secondhand furniture place just down the road. So will be looking there for rugs. But Can't believe we're talking about heaters in Spain with the heat there at the moment lol! There's a Primemark nearby if we need more warm clothes. Tho!
Lucky dog you.

Never ever ever heard of any (long term) let that includes anything. Count your blessings.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hope so as it's actually a holiday long term let. And it's through our UK solicitors family friends. But we have paid a holding fee, so if we abuse it and use too much electric I think he may well keep some money. But that's okay as we are getting a good deal anyway. And I would not want to abuse it any way. As my solicitors and his family are our friends. So guess it's a mates rates thing. But they do let it out all,year round as holiday lets hope it is well aquipped? As previous rentals we have had to go out and buy everything and that's after getting some electricity put on and the fridge replaced as it did not work. And placing all curtains and pIctures back in place as they had just had decorators in....and only one light bulb. and not forgetting keys not fitting and no bedding or towels that were anywhere near usable. So yes I have learnt with holiday rentals they are not always going to be what you would expect. But if it only a few weeks we can cope. But not if its longer.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

101wvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Will be interesting to see what your thoughts are after the winter Tammydog. We are going to be moving over to that area once we have sold our UK property. We were over in July with temperatures 102 degrees which we can cope with as we have had a home in Florida for 25 years. We shall be looking carefully at what heating systems are in place before we buy!!! I don't think we will be out in Spain for good this year, but hope to get another visit in November to look further. However, if our UK home sells quickly, you never know - we may be packing the electric blanket and wintering in Spain before we know it!!! Good luck and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.