Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Winter pool closure

Winter pool closure

Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Default Winter pool closure

I have a 8x4 pool with a heavy duty cover and it is closed from the end of Sept.to the beginning of June. Until last year I had always used a winterising agent but on talking to one of the local pool experts he said don't waste you money just give it a good dose of choque, this I did and the pool was perfect when opened although the chemical balance was a shade out.
On mentioning this to another expert he said this was a dangerous practice and advised not to do it again as it could harm the pipe joints and pump seals etc. Who is right?????
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter pool closure

Should of said not sure how much choque I used, should think about 800g to
1kg
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I not sure what choque is but I'm assuming it's a high dosage of chlorine (shock?).

Anyway, I do much the same - I dose it with a slight overdose of liquid chlorine and then close it for the winter. It's worked every time so far.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

HI Snikpoh,
You are right it is chlorine,in the Cadiz area when talking pools choque is the term used for chlorine, sorry for the confusion.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
HI Snikpoh,
You are right it is chlorine,in the Cadiz area when talking pools choque is the term used for chlorine, sorry for the confusion.
Normally 'shock treatment' is only needed at the beginning of the season.

It would be quite expensive to shock all the time - using liquid chlorine when required is a lot cheaper.

If the pH and chlorine levels are properly maintained with tablets (I use 5:1), then you should only need to adjust the levels with chlorine or 'Sal fumant' (sp?) after a period of heavy usage.

In all the time I've had the pool, I think I've only shocked the pool after heavy usage when it went a pale green - but then everyone else's went that way at the same time so maybe it was just the weather.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

I agree with you I run my pool the same,but I am talking shocking it with chorine,whether it be liquid or granual letting it circulate for two or three hours then putting the cover on and leaving it for eight months. the winterising chemical I used to use has become quite expensive so looking for a cheaper alterative without damaging the pool.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:07 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

putting the cover on and leaving it for eight months
You only use your pool for four months?

I just drop a multi tablet in as and when required. Even in deepest winter when it may be too cold for swimming, I like to sit on the edge and paddle.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Our pool is an integral part of the garden design. To cover it would destroy the look of the terrace and gardens. I also find that running the pump for a few minutes every day and keeping the chlorine levels up by tablets is fine.

The biggest problem is scooping the leaves out when it has been windy.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

HI Missile and Fred,afraid this is only a holiday villa and I do run the pump every day on a timer. Have to admit I thought with the number of pools over there the thread would of got a better response as every pool has some kind of closure over the winter.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a holiday home then a cover and lots of chlorine is the right way to go.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I used to DIY until I had a eureka moment and realised my time was worth more than 90 euros a month.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Winter pool closure

Uderstand that missile, but I will play my ace card. I am only a POOR PENSIONER
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:35 am
Started off with nothing

My heart bleeds. Is that not what your winter fuel allownce is for?

Enjoy it whilst you can
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:15 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Fred on this one, the pool is the best feature of the whole garden set-up, it would look horrible if it was closed up or emptied. We use it for at least six months of every year, my wife's in it now and I will be on it this evening.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:44 pm
Started off with nothing

on it
is no way to speak about your wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.